Thread: My PS3 is Maybe Somewhat Fried

My PS3 is Maybe Somewhat Fried

Okay, so I turn on the TV, fire up the PS3, nothing.

That scared the crap out of me. It had only been about 7 months since we got it.

I filled out the warranty service information online for them to send me a box for me to ship it back. Turns out when I talked to the representative, it had not gone through. The online form was very buggy and the representative told me that it didn't work.

Tried calling customer service today. In fact, they were very nice people. Service was quick, and in fact, he walked me through hard resetting everything. It was nice not to hear an outsourced job. Not that I have anything against jobs out of the country, but it's still nice, you know? I guess Sony kinda cares.

Turns out, the PS3 is fine- on standard definition. The guy and I narrowed it down to perhaps the HD output of the machine itself or maybe the HD cable. I will call back tomorrow and ask if they can warranty the cable. And worst comes to worst, I send back the PS3.

Since I can fire it up on standard definition, can anyone tell me how I can back up the saved game data? Do I just stick in a thumb drive and copy everything over?

Perhaps it was Con Edison- for some odd reason we have been going through a flurry of 2 to 3 second power outages. We might have gone through 5 of them in the last month at various times of the day- one if which I was playing the PS3 and lost a good bit of Gran Turismo saved game data.

Too bad I can't claim anything from them though- they will only consider food and medicine.
    Last edited by NSXType-R; 07-27-2009 at 01:22 PM.

bring it over to my place and i'll test it out. different TV, different HDMI. did you try using the component cable?
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe.
    man that SUCKS... my Gamecube discs do that and by saying that " it wasn't able to read the game disc " kinda of crap. i had no issues with my Wii though. but that only happens very rarely on the Gamecube though...
    Buddy: 1998-2009
    Mah boi, UCP is what all true warriors strive for!
    PINGAS!!!!

Near the middle of the middle of middle England.
    Sounds like you have an easier time with PS than I do with Xbox, who seem to be hell-bent on pissing me around with my buggered '360. Good luck with the console anyway.
    Buying a car and not driving it is like buying a meal and not eating it.

"Oh sh*t, we're going..25!!" - A dear friend of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by W.R. View Post
    Sounds like you have an easier time with PS than I do with Xbox, who seem to be hell-bent on pissing me around with my buggered '360. Good luck with the console anyway.
    That's because microsoft is evil. In an impressive way, but still evil.

Good luck with that. I had a friend who won one of the first 360s in some radio contest and got the ring after a couple of months. His grades did go up immediately afterwards, though, so maybe this is an opportunity or some sort of zen crap like that.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Quote Originally Posted by coolieman1220 View Post
    bring it over to my place and i'll test it out. different TV, different HDMI. did you try using the component cable?
    We use it with a component cable. The TV doesn't accept HDMI.

It should be alright, I'm sending it in for the warranty- new PS3.

Plus, I figured out how to back up my game information. We will be plugging it into the Monster Power thingy, it'll smooth out the electricity flow, or at least protect it.

Quote Originally Posted by cargirl1990 View Post
    man that SUCKS... my Gamecube discs do that and by saying that " it wasn't able to read the game disc " kinda of crap. i had no issues with my Wii though. but that only happens very rarely on the Gamecube though...
    Warranty covers it, so in theory I should be alright.

Quote Originally Posted by W.R. View Post
    Yeah, I like how the customer service handled it.

Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    That's because microsoft is evil. In an impressive way, but still evil.

Good luck with that. I had a friend who won one of the first 360s in some radio contest and got the ring after a couple of months. His grades did go up immediately afterwards, though, so maybe this is an opportunity or some sort of zen crap like that.
    Yeah, I had no idea the PS3 had issues like this. I never had issues with the PS2.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    I never had issues with the PS2.
    You must be the only one. Both myself and 3 of my mates have had out PS2's chuck a fit, not want to read discs and ask for the format disc.
    I am the Stig

Yea, by the time I had moved on to my 360 I was on my third PS2. Never complained about it, really. I guess when all you're after is to play your games again you do whatever you have to.

Good luck with the PS3, hopefully you don't have to send it in.
    "Wise man say: Forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza."

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho View Post
    You must be the only one. Both myself and 3 of my mates have had out PS2's chuck a fit, not want to read discs and ask for the format disc.
    Weird, the one I have is the first generations PS2 too, the big one. Hope mine lasts for a lot longer.

Quote Originally Posted by ThisBlood147 View Post
    Yea, by the time I had moved on to my 360 I was on my third PS2. Never complained about it, really. I guess when all you're after is to play your games again you do whatever you have to.

Good luck with the PS3, hopefully you don't have to send it in.
    Wow, never knew how unreliable they are.

Yeah, I am sending in my PS3. I finished talking to the customer sales rep just now. Very courteous person, again. Not very knowledgeable about AV stuff, but still, very willing to talk you through stuff.

We'll see how things go in the following weeks.

The PS3 that they send me may be mine, fixed, a refurbished one, or a completely new one. I'm banking for a completely new one.

It should be alright, I'm sending it in for the warranty- new PS3.
    We will be plugging it into the Monster Power thingy, it'll smooth out the electricity flow, or at least protect it.
    I hope you don't have the matching cables. THAT is an evil company.

Have you tried another A/V input besides the one it's in on your tv?
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

i've had my ps2 for like 5 yrs and knock on wood it still works fine

I hear ya dude, i've had 2 xboxs get the ring, the last one was an elite even

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho View Post
    I have the slim one, never had an issue. the joypad is gone though :cries:
    A friend of mine as the first series, running fine, joypad death as well.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Since I can fire it up on standard definition, can anyone tell me how I can back up the saved game data? Do I just stick in a thumb drive and copy everything over?
    Yes. That's exactly what you do. You have to do one save at a time, but it's not too bad. Also, you should synch your trophies with the online server, using the function in the PS3. Then you can keep those too.

Alternatively, you can back up your whole hard drive if you have a media big enough, as there's an option for that. You can even take the hard drive out and connect it to a computer, since it's just a 2.5" laptop drive or something.
    All about the t-tops

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    I hope you don't have the matching cables. THAT is an evil company.

Have you tried another A/V input besides the one it's in on your tv?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrafan427 View Post
    i've had my ps2 for like 5 yrs and knock on wood it still works fine
    No, I don't have the matching cables. That would be insane.

I would if the TV were more accessible.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrafan427 View Post
    I hear ya dude, i've had 2 xboxs get the ring, the last one was an elite even
    Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    I have the slim one, never had an issue. the joypad is gone though :cries:
    A friend of mine as the first series, running fine, joypad death as well.
    Buy a used joypad?

Quote Originally Posted by TVR IS KING View Post
    Yes. That's exactly what you do. You have to do one save at a time, but it's not too bad. Also, you should synch your trophies with the online server, using the function in the PS3. Then you can keep those too.

Alternatively, you can back up your whole hard drive if you have a media big enough, as there's an option for that. You can even take the hard drive out and connect it to a computer, since it's just a 2.5" laptop drive or something.
    Yeah, I figured it out. Not too bad. It's all on my thumb drive now.

Edit- I put the component video cables (the high def ones that aren't HDMI) straight onto the HDTV. No dice. It is confirmed dead high definition.

Good news though is that they sent me instructions on how to sent it back, and the box is shipping already.
    Last edited by NSXType-R; 07-31-2009 at 06:08 PM.

Thread Information