Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do any of you think that Volvo is cool?

I think Volvo is undergoing a change of their image. In the past, Volvo's used to be big boxes on wheels, but nowadays, they're producing cars with good looks, who are VERY safe and with great engines ( they've got a lot of knowledge about using a Turbo ) My dad has got an S60 and the car is really good assembled ( even if it's "just" a 2.4D-engine ) Volvo brings a high quality for an acceptable price. I don't really like the S80, but all the other models (V70, S40, V50, C70, XC90, ... ) are prety cars, I think. The sportive R-models are amazing too!

Volvo's main target in branding is the "We're sensibly cool folk". Look at the shag pile Saddle leather and symmetrical front/rear lights of the VCC concept for that. The S40 seems to have a bit of a height problem for me,, it looks like they stuck it in the vice a fraction too long.

Most past Volvos could have been designed using an Etch-A-Sketch, nowadays curves a creeping in, and Peter Horbury is doing an excellent job at not only creating a family face that isn't vertical, but also in applying the "Catwalk" down the side to all models successfully.

Volvo will never be seen as the cool kid in the Premium sector, it will be seen as the one who doesn't shout about it, but knows it has good taste, and likes things simple, yet comfortable.

Kind of like Ikea in that sense........
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

I like their new S60R. 300hp, brembos, awd, and priced way below the competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Rijoh
    My dad used to have a 340, does that explane why I don't like Volvo's. Cause the 340 is ugly as hell...
    The 300 and 400 series are not really Volvo's, but a crappy coorperation between multiple brands. Being tired and suffering from a bad headache I do not remember the brands. But don't you dare blame Volvo for those creations.
    Probably the only UCP member without a car D:

Quote Originally Posted by Gabman
    The 300 and 400 series are not really Volvo's, but a crappy coorperation between multiple brands. Being tired and suffering from a bad headache I do not remember the brands. But don't you dare blame Volvo for those creations.
    Just to serve as an aspirin, the 300 and 400 series were based on the designs of the DAF factory from Holland, that were already well advanced when Volvo took it over. It also resulted in the Volvo 66, a rebadged DAF. Daf were the pioneers of the CVT transmission, now well established, in particular for smaller cars. For those who think that such a CVT is only for slow cars, there was an Formula III single seater raced in the sixties, fitted with such a contraption and did quite well.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    .... For those who think that such a CVT is only for slow cars, there was an Formula III single seater raced in the sixties, fitted with such a contraption and did quite well.
    Here are photos of the very car .....
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Here are photos of the very car .....
    Nice, where did you find those? This is the only single seater that could drive just as fast backwards as forward.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Nice, where did you find those? This is the only single seater that could drive just as fast backwards as forward.
    Sorry, henk4, don't remember ( it's age you know : )
    It was a couple of years back on the web soon after CVT was re-launched.
    THOSE are the original filenames, don't know if a web google image search might find them
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I already forgot that it is age Anyway, at the back of the fourth picture it can also be read that the Daf 55 won its class in the Marathon de la Route, so it was not such a bad car, although it had a very poor reputation as a vehicle for elderly ladies and other dinosaurs.

.....the Daf 55 won its class in the Marathon de la Route, so it was not such a bad car, although it had a very poor reputation as a vehicle for elderly ladies and other dinosaurs.
    I'm sure it was that reputation that led Vovlo to buy the company.
    No point competing for the same market

Sorry, maybe I overreacted, but the thing is i'm a real fanboy of Swedish cars. Saab and Volvo (Not to mention Koenigsegg) just really appeal to me, in paticular Saab. If I was given a choice between a Beemer 3 series and a 9-3, aslong as the 3 series was not a M-3, I would choose the Saab, for one reason.
    Beemer 3 Series=Snob Appeal.

Saab 9-3= Understated Class.

Thank you Spastik Roach! You are too true. Give me a Volvo or Saab over any German. Will always pick the Swede.

He He Volvos are like Ikea furniture

Thats the ultimate explenation
    TVR, Heres to Peter wheeler and his last creationg of the Scamander.

Coventry seriously sucks....

What do you mean? Build it yourself with an allen key?

I don't like Volvo's but I don't know exactly why. Maybe beacause they are ugly?

Thread Information