Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sport Auto Super Test of ZR1

Sport Auto Super Test of ZR1

The German magazine has tested the ZR1 and is very pleased with the car. Their only criticism relates to the very direct steering around the center point. This they consider to be working very well on smooth surfaces, but is also given as the reason why the Ring Lap time ended with a slightly disappointing 7.38. According to Sport Auto the steering has problems in coping with the undulating surface of the Ring, making the car difficult to handle. The realised time is a long way off the 7.26 that GM managed to do last year. (and to heat up the discussion, 7.38 is exactly the time a certain Japanese car managed in the hand of the same tester)
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

What a wonderful world, isn't it?
    So basically once again only the supercars with a carbon fiber exotic eventually lapped the Ring under the 7:30 mark.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

"The[y] realised time is a long way off the 7.26 that GM managed to do last year. (and to heat up the discussion, 7.38 is exactly the time a certain Japanese car managed in the hand of the same tester)"

Possibly favoritism for their German cars?
    Last edited by PRC777; 10-25-2009 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Couldn't quote from henk4 somewhat...

Quote Originally Posted by PRC777 View Post
    "The[y] realised time is a long way off the 7.26 that GM managed to do last year. (and to heat up the discussion, 7.38 is exactly the time a certain Japanese car managed in the hand of the same tester)"

Possibly favoritism for their German cars?
    Because an American car set the same time as a Japanese one?
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

What about living with it everyday Pieter?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen View Post
    Because an American car set the same time as a Japanese one?
    ...that were both driven by what could've been a German driver?
    Alas, I am just speculating. According to Henk's thread, GM had tested the car and had recieved a lower lap time. I'm just saying that the journalist could've been a little biased. Chillax.

Right now all the cars involved in this war, the Beetle GT2, the Plastic ZR1 and the LOL-GT-R, have been tested by independent drivers and achieved higher lap times.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    Right now all the cars involved in this war, the Beetle GT2, the Plastic ZR1 and the LOL-GT-R, have been tested by independent drivers and achieved higher lap times.
    The Datsun has a go faster version that hasn't been tested yet, has it?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    The Datsun has a go faster version that hasn't been tested yet, has it?
    the Vspec? I don't think it has been tested actually, still the lap time under the 7:30 mark was achieved with the standard car.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    What about living with it everyday Pieter?
    have to wait for the diesel version...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    The German magazine has tested the ZR1 and is very pleased with the car. Their only criticism relates to the very direct steering around the center point.
    How the hell can you win? So many car reviewers complain of dead on centre steering feel and then the ZR1 addresses this and is criticized?

I think that is kinda bullshit.

I don't really see the lap time as disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    How the hell can you win? So many car reviewers complain of dead on centre steering feel and then the ZR1 addresses this and is criticized?

I think that is kinda bullshit.

I don't really see the lap time as disappointing.
    It is not bullshit, they explain what the consequences are. It works very well on smooth surfaces, but it is slightly counterproductive on rougher tracks. That's all.
    As far as the laptime is concerned, it always rather depends on the weather of the day. 7.38 is also just one second faster than a Ferrari Scuderia.
    I just posted it to show that factory times are not always achievable. In case of the GTR many people would call the factory car a "ringer" (how appropriate), but so far I have not seen such a remark in the context of the ZR1........

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    It is not bullshit, they explain what the consequences are. It works very well on smooth surfaces, but it is slightly counterproductive on rougher tracks. That's all.
    As far as the laptime is concerned, it always rather depends on the weather of the day. 7.38 is also just one second faster than a Ferrari Scuderia.
    I just posted it to show that factory times are not always achievable. In case of the GTR many people would call the factory car a "ringer" (how appropriate), but so far I have not seen such a remark in the context of the ZR1........
    My point was that it's a bit paradoxical; the journalists bitch about lack of on centre feel then get it and bitch about it some more. It also seems as though it cost laptime but maybe not driving enjoyment? And truthfully, what's more important? I think I'd prefer a direct on centre steering feel anyways, and if it doesn't get the best laptimes who cares?

The Scuderia is more of a track car than the ZR1 and although it's down on power, it costs what, three times as much as the Corvette in North America? So the horsepower advantage that the Corvette has can be made up by all the fancy gadgetry, mid-engine design, and more advanced suspension set up of the much more expensive Ferrari.

Concerning the lack of ringer claims for the ZR1 while they existed for the GT-R, as I recall, Nissan has a precedent of using ringers (or a suspicion of using ringers) for lap times and thus suspicion was not unreasonably put on them when they produced the lap time that the GT-R put out, especially considering it's power output and weight.

Full disclosure, I prefer the ZR1 over the GT-R but damn I still like the GT-R and respect the hell outta it. Just were I to have one in my garage I'd take the lighter, non-turbocharged Chevy.

Throw in a Scuderia though, and I think I'd risk being perceived as a badge whore and take it over the ZR1 and GT-R. No less, all three are exceptional machines.

Are you sure you aren't letting your bias enter into your analysis henk? Your lack of appreciation of basically any American vehicle is well known.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    My point was that it's a bit paradoxical; the journalists bitch about lack of on centre feel then get it and bitch about it some more. It also seems as though it cost laptime but maybe not driving enjoyment? And truthfully, what's more important? I think I'd prefer a direct on centre steering feel anyways, and if it doesn't get the best laptimes who cares?

The Scuderia is more of a track car than the ZR1 and although it's down on power, it costs what, three times as much as the Corvette in North America? So the horsepower advantage that the Corvette has can be made up by all the fancy gadgetry, mid-engine design, and more advanced suspension set up of the much more expensive Ferrari.

Concerning the lack of ringer claims for the ZR1 while they existed for the GT-R, as I recall, Nissan has a precedent of using ringers (or a suspicion of using ringers) for lap times and thus suspicion was not unreasonably put on them when they produced the lap time that the GT-R put out, especially considering it's power output and weight.

Full disclosure, I prefer the ZR1 over the GT-R but damn I still like the GT-R and respect the hell outta it. Just were I to have one in my garage I'd take the lighter, non-turbocharged Chevy.

Throw in a Scuderia though, and I think I'd risk being perceived as a badge whore and take it over the ZR1 and GT-R. No less, all three are exceptional machines.

Are you sure you aren't letting your bias enter into your analysis henk? Your lack of appreciation of basically any American vehicle is well known.
    I think another part of the ringer issue was that the GT-R was the first in the new breed of ring wars to post times, and if you look at the cars specs it seems highly improbably. The ZR1 on the other hand has a much better power to weight so it seems more believeable.

Also, ACR FTW. That is all.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    I think another part of the ringer issue was that the GT-R was the first in the new breed of ring wars to post times, and if you look at the cars specs it seems highly improbably. The ZR1 on the other hand has a much better power to weight so it seems more believeable.

Also, ACR FTW. That is all.
    Yeah you raise a good point - I think I said the second point in a different way.

I guess it's fitting that a Jeep driver would take the supercar with the truck engine, isn't it?

Thread Information