Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gran Turismo 5 Racing Cockpit

Gran Turismo 5 Racing Cockpit

Hi all

This is my GT 5 racing cockpit (under construction)

As the wait for this game is so long I have been passing the time by building my own racing cockpit to play the game in. It features the Logitech G25 Racing wheel, pedals with clutch, and 6 speed gear box. The X Rocker II Special edition gaming chair with sub in the back, also looking to include a buttkicker speaker for extra rumble when you crash!

Here is a link to my online photo gallery showing the build so far, I will be adding more pics as progress comes along.

Let me know what you think

Page 1: Racing Cockpit pictures from computers photos on webshots

Page 2: Racing Cockpit pictures from computers photos on webshots

Page 3: Racing Cockpit pictures from computers photos on webshots

That's pretty ridiculously AWESOME! But I'm curious about the gear box: what will you do with cars that have more than six forward gears? Is this when you'll revert to the paddle shifters on the wheel? Do you plan on using the clutch pedal whenever it suits the car?

not too sure I ever saw a car in the GT games that had more than 6 gears, but if there is any then yes I would use the shifters on the wheel, or I could put the 6 speed box into sequential mode so I just have to push the stick up and down.

I plan on using the clutch and manual gears as much as I can as you can get much faster lap times and full controll of when the car changes gear - the starts are also much better with a clutch. You can flip in and out of manual and sequential gear ingame so I will just change it to go with any car.

Glad you like it though cheers, I just put a few more pics on showing the curved front end.

pretty slick, wish I had that type of dedication/free time/funding. Keep us updated
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Quote Originally Posted by delyard View Post
    not too sure I ever saw a car in the GT games that had more than 6 gears,
    The Nissan GT-R Concept from GT4 has 7 gears. I'm pretty stinkin jealous of that set up i gotta be honest. It definitely beats my controller and bean bag chair set up lol

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrafan427 View Post
    The Nissan GT-R Concept from GT4 has 7 gears. I'm pretty stinkin jealous of that set up i gotta be honest. It definitely beats my controller and bean bag chair set up lol
    The BMW M5 has 7 gears.

Well for all the cars that have more than 6 gears I will use the sequential gear box, when I have figured out where to mount it that is - scratching my head

Thinking of a center console type box to be mounted on the side (left side that is) would really like to include a working handbreak

Where drug dealers and asian stores are born, California
    I'm jealous, I just made a deal with my mom, next week she will pay 150$ and I'll pay 150$ for a ps3 so I'm finally going to be caught up with the times! XD
    “Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... that’s what gets you.”
    -Jeremy Clarkson

Will you be building a racing cockpit to go with your new PS3 then? also have you got a HD TV for it? did you get any games with it?

Quote Originally Posted by delyard View Post
    Will you be building a racing cockpit to go with your new PS3 then? also have you got a HD TV for it? did you get any games with it?
    No I don't have the money for it or the space, I'll be getting gt5 when it comes out. I'm going to buy Grand Theft Auto 4 first and I guess the ps3 is going to come with infamous. I'll see if I can poke around and find my old bluetooth so I don't have to get a ps3 one. I'll buy a G25 Steering wheel or something too.
    Last edited by iwmakemh; 02-28-2010 at 02:22 PM.
    “Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... that’s what gets you.”
    -Jeremy Clarkson

Yeah get the G25 its well worth it, they are really good, but you do need somewhere to mount it though, its not the kind of thing you could use on your knee. When I got mine I knew I was going to make something to mount it on, but when I started building it my design just kept getting bigger! my other half is now getting quite worried about where it gonna go in our front room! - Me thinks right in the middle of the room in front of the TV!! bolted to the floor LOL

I will have to figure that bit out haha
    I might try to mouth it onto my desk, hopefully the ps3 will hook up to a crt monitor.
    If not I'll have have to get a new tv, since my current tv is making some weird hissing noise and its really scaring me (I imagine the screen exploding and my face being embedded with shards of glass lol). If the g25 doesn't give the right position on my desk I'll build something that I can put away when not in use then put back when I need to use the g25.
    -Jeremy Clarkson

Think you would need something like this to hook up your PS3 to a PC monitor

DealExtreme: $7.34 VGA to Three Components Video Cable

If the race sim was the main reason "iwm" then don't waste your cash on a PS3.
    PC applications are still the top of the "simulation" tree for car racing and rallying.
    Can then expand to multi-monitor for all round cockpit views as more cash frees up ( and monitor prices keep driopping )
    @delyard: Is their any adjustment on the wheel position ? I presume the seat will move forward/back easily enough.
    That kid is going to struggle to operate as they grow up
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Well as for the pc and multi monitor thing, 1: I dont have room for 3 monitors, my rig was made for going in front of the TV then being slid away next to the sofa again. Im not a big fan of PC games, there good but a little too nerdy for me. 2: Gran Turismo 5 will feature head tracking with the PS EYE camera, this means I will just have to turn my head to look all around the car and see out of the side windows, you can just look up, down, left or right and the camera tracks your head giving you a much more free look around - better than 3 square monitors.

The wheel will not be adjustable as it is in the perfect position for me.

The seat can be moved forward and back and can also be reclined up and down.

Thread Information