Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Classic Corolla's

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    which is frankly ridiculous, considering the amount of other light RWD econocars available from the same period, it's not like the AE86 is particularly better looking either - although still cheap, the cheaper, a just as light, just as rwd datsun or gemini is the smarter buy imo.
    what are some RWD econocars that are still around in the 2nd hand market, thats still up for grabs at a cheap price.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziostilon View Post
    what are some RWD econocars that are still around in the 2nd hand market, thats still up for grabs at a cheap price.
    In the post you quoted Datsun (I guess probably for the Nissan 200 SX) and the Isuzu Gemini are mentioned.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    In the post you quoted Datsun (I guess probably for the Nissan 200 SX) and the Isuzu Gemini are mentioned.
    So the datsun 510 (1600) doesnt rate a mention of its earlier 1200 doesnt even rate a mention in your books? (which are more common and often cheaper)
    Lifts heavy things and hits hard......also eats as much as 2/3 people and sleeps 10 hours a day!

back onto the AE86. For those that have or had owned one, did you guys do any research on engine swaps? What are some engines around the past 5-10 years that can be directly swapped into the AE86, with the exception of the 4A-GE and its variants?
    i'm don't got much knowledge on the tech. aspects of the car, but is it possible to fit in a 1ZZ-FE (recent Corolla engine) engine into an AE86?

back onto the AE86. For those that have or had owned one, did you guys do any research on engine swaps? What are some engines around the past 5-10 years that can be directly swapped into the AE86, with the exception of the 4A-GE and its variants?
    i'm don't got much knowledge on the tech. aspects of the car, but is it possible to fit in a 1ZZ-FE (recent Corolla engine) engine into an AE86?
    I heard you could swap in a 3SGTE or even an Altezza engine.

Of course...you could do the Supra swap I did in Auto Modellista.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering View Post
    I heard you could swap in a 3SGTE or even an Altezza engine.

Of course...you could do the Supra swap I did in Auto Modellista.

Or a 1UZ V8
    YouTube - 86 Corolla with Lexus V8 Swap
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

^^ isn't the V8 heavier by quite a bit than the stock, which kinda defeats the purpose of the AE86's lightness.

i remember reading about some dude swapping an engine from a Lexus LS, is that the same one. (Youtube link)

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    My vote would go to the Datsun 510 or a Z-car. I'd mention the AE86's but IMHO the demand has totally outpriced what you really get for the money. Maybe an MR/2?
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

^^ isn't the V8 heavier by quite a bit than the stock, which kinda defeats the purpose of the AE86's lightness.

i remember reading about some dude swapping an engine from a Lexus LS, is that the same one. (Youtube link)
    The 4age is about 120kg all dressed and the block cast iron, the 1UZ is a alloy block and weighs about 185kg fully dressed. A guy on the forums I got it from has driven it and rekons its a torque monster and still handles very well.

quoted from PF forums PerformanceForums - View Single Post - Big motors in little cars...
    When I went for a ride in it, fair enough it planted you hard back in the seat in every gear well and truely.
    But perhaps what was more impressive was that he drove up to a typical street corner in 5th gear, kept it in 5th and pulled away nicely from about 700rpm. Then when we got to 1500rpm that familiar push-in-the-seat feeling was back.
    It still hadn't had a decent tune at that point, and still only the stock inlet manifold. He build his own extractors for it though, and had a Motec M800 on it, otherwise it was totally stock.

Thread Information