Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shelby Cobra Revived

Post Shelby Cobra Revived

It has been confirmed that the beloved Shelby Cobra is about to hit roads again in a new form that includes a new big aluminium 6.4-litre V10 heart producing a shattering 605bhp and 6750rpm and 501lbf.ft at 5500rpm.
    So the well known V8 of the cobra has been forced to retirement after all these legendary days of Vrooooming around.
    Ford engineers borrowed the rear-mounted six-speed transaxle from the Ford GT so the concept Cobra is supposed to hit 260 mph & reach 130 mph in 3rd gear.In addition,the suspension comes from the GT, with a few mods to deal with the extra weight of the enormous engine.Thats not all as the Steering, too, is developed from the GT, as is the braking system:Four-pot aluminium Brembo calipers act on cross-drilled, vented discs all round, those at the front measuring a massive 14 inches in diameter while their colleagues at the back are a scarcely less substantial 13.2 inches across & all this aims at controlling the power the beast under the bonnet generates.No thing less than BBS lightweight alloys a set of BFGoodrich racing slicks can be expected.
    Well,it is not more than a couple of years until this babe gets its final touches & find its way to super car lovers hearts & bedrooms!!

Article originally published on TopGear website
    Last edited by kinan.f; 01-07-2004 at 12:06 AM.

I'm completely and utterly pleased with the looks of this new Cobra. However, something, somewhere, makes me doubt a 260mph top speed?!@! Maybe it's brains cells

Anyway, it almost definately won't go anywhere near that fast as a top speed, but there's no doubt in my mind that it will haul ass. I love it. Bravo Ford, bravo.

605hp in something the size of a mazda mx-5 and no ABS, thats gotta be something to drive
    I am the Stig

I love it !!!

The Top Gear article states a theoretical top speed of 260 mph, does sound a bit high, but with the low weight and a sizeable amount of BHP and Torque it may be possible if you can get past the 2 biggest hurdles - aerodynamics and FEAR

I do have a question though, this 6.4 litre V10 ... what else is it going to find its way in? The GT next year? 2005 SVT Mustang? *drools*

well i'd say it would more than likely find its way into the GT more than anything else. the mustang still only uses a 4.6 so if ford want more power they always have the 5.0 and 5.4. i think though on a nice stretch of road, it would get pretty close to that top speed. my only worry would be the wind entering the cabin at such speeds, being a roadster
    I am the Stig

I think this engine is part of the modular V8 engine family, like the 7.0 V10 from the 427 concept car, if so it would be about 70 lbs lighter than the 5.4 and 4.6 Cobra R engines.

Just in case Egg Nog reads this .... I can see that smile on your face .

yeah its definately part of the MOD family. if im remembering correctly, it has a 3.66inch bore with a 3.7 inch stroke and is mainly based off the 4.6L. i think the 7.0L engine couldve been based more from the 5.4L engine, but either way its good to see them going for a front-midship engine location, despite how much lighter the engine may be
    I am the Stig

I was watching this new show on...

The Learning Channel the other night called "Rides". The episode was all about the development of the concept car, it was pretty sweet. I got to see them driving around a bit when they had everything together but the body, lol, looked like a giant RC car with no body shell on it. Then Caroll Shelby him self took it for a cruise when it was completed. This thing sounds awesome to say the least! I just pray it makes it to production, it's gorgeous and looks to be viciously fast.
    Most wanted cars:

Ford GT, Aston Martin DB9, Nissan Skyline R-34 V-Spec II, 2004 SVT Cobra Mustang, VW Golf R32, TVR Cerbera 4.5, Ford Focus RS, Aston Martin Vanquish S

Still waiting.....Shelby Cobra, Shelby GR1, 2006 Ford Lightning, Next generation SVT Mustang Cobra 2006? Mazda Speed RX8

i myself dont like the concept of merging the old with the new but this would have to be a exception. i saw this car on a tv show called "rides" just last night and they showed the entire assembly from start to finish. it was called project "daisy" any way in the end it did some cool burnouts and doughnuts.
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

A flop????

i mean ford is already bringing out that other car GT? and wasnt there a series 1 shelby not too long ago with an olds in it? i didnt hear much about it i guess it kinda died off.
    1977 Mercedes-benz 240D 4-speed with 500k miles

Quote Originally Posted by bum-man
    i mean ford is already bringing out that other car GT? and wasnt there a series 1 shelby not too long ago with an olds in it? i didnt hear much about it i guess it kinda died off.
    yes the seiries one had an aurora V8, i guess because GM is killing Oldsmobile shelby won't make Seiries 1 anymore. so is ford the company that will be producing this if it goes into production? or shelby?
    Wenn Sie wissen wollen, was einen volkswagen ein volkswagen macht, treibt es.

ford will produce it if it makes its way into production, shelby was brought in to design and develop the concept car as ford were worried if they made a solo attempt at it they'd screw it up to say the least
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by NoOne
    I think this engine is part of the modular V8 engine family, like the 7.0 V10 from the 427 concept car, if so it would be about 70 lbs lighter than the 5.4 and 4.6 Cobra R engines.

Just in case Egg Nog reads this .... I can see that smile on your face .
    Woah... and I don't even have a webcam

I'm totally into lightweight sports cars, but I'm also a huge fan of these rare American V8 Supercars (a la Shelby Series One or Panoz Esparante). They're usually pretty heavy, but I can mostly forgive them after I hear them growl. Either way though, I don't really care for their needs overbuilt/leather seats, luxury features, etc. But I know thats mostly just me

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    Either way though, I don't really care for their needs overbuilt/leather seats, luxury features, etc. But I know thats mostly just me
    Yeah, it is just mostly you.
    All the luxury trimmings are great IF you have enough power to compensate for the weight.

605 with a V-10, thats expected but 260 mph. It is American, so I say expect some inflated horsepower, but I was surprised at the Saleen S7, so I don't know.
    Puff Daddy says his Ferrari 360 Spider can go 220 because the speedo says so
    *coughretardcough*

Thread Information