Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sir Stirling's OSCA, Australia's Skelta cars come to Europe and BMW's X6 hybrid ...

Sir Stirling's OSCA, Australia's Skelta cars come to Europe and BMW's X6 hybrid ...

Every year, all major events celebrate a wide variety of anniversaries. This year was no exception as the 80th birthday of Sir Stirling Moss was celebrated on both sides of the Atlantic. At the Goodwood Revival Meeting, he was honoured with a parade of 80 cars he piloted during his highly successful career. Sir Stirling is still racing himself and at the Revival he campaigned his recently acquired OSCA FS 372 Morelli Spider. This is very fitting as Moss recorded one of his greatest victories, the 1954 Sebring 12 Hours, in an OSCA against competition propelled by engines many times the size of the diminutive OSCA 'four'. The FS 372 is of a slightly later vintage and represents the ultimate development of the four-cylinder OSCA sports racers. Only five were built and at least one was fitted with 'desmodromic' valve actuation. Moss' car is currently also fitted an engine of this type. Beautifully prepared by Hall & Hall, the small OSCA was raced in Sir Stirling's laid-back style at several events this year, including the 24 Hours of Le Mans support event and during the Goodwood Revival. The FS 372 is pictured at both these occasions.
    In recent years Australian racing saw the arrival of the unusually styled Skelta sports cars. It is now Europe's turn to welcome the Skelta G-Force and Spyder. The track-oriented machines are built from lightweight materials around a sturdy chrome-molybdenum spaceframe. The styling is dictated by aerodynamics and creates 200kg of downforce at 90mph. There is a choice of engines between a supercharged Honda S2000 'four' and an exceptionally light Hartley V8 that produces well in excess of 400 bhp.
    BMW today revealed the first details of the ActiveHybrid X6. Its twin-turbo V8 engine and two electric motors produce a combined 485 bhp and 780 Nm of torque. When only a fraction of that power is required the 'Sports Activity Coupé' can also run on the two electric motors alone. The ActiveHybrid can accelerate to 60 mph in just 5.6 seconds but still gets a decent mileage and relatively low CO2 emissions.

Enjoy the links:

2009 BMW ActiveHybrid X6 - Images, Specifications and Information

1957 - 1958 OSCA FS 372 Morelli Spider - Images, Specifications and Information

2009 Skelta Spyder - Images, Specifications and Information

2009 Skelta G-Force - Images, Specifications and Information
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

I think the Svelta may have the technicalities to be a good car, but it is greatly lacking the looks.
    Regarding Sir Stirling and the Revival Race, the car did not run very well, and he had to enter the pitlane twice, duly waving to traffic behind him that he was slowing down. Comment from another driver in that race: "You never know if Sir Stirling is really slowing down, or just waving to the crowds"
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    I think the Svelta may have the technicalities to be a good car, but it is greatly lacking the looks.
    Regarding Sir Stirling and the Revival Race, the car did not run very well, and he had to enter the pitlane twice, duly waving to traffic behind him that he was slowing down. Comment from another driver in that race: "You never know if Sir Stirling is really slowing down, or just waving to the crowds"
    That's a nice anecdote.

The Svelta is just embarrassing.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

I guess its main (only?) market will be the UK, competing with the Westfields, Radicals and similars.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Svelta
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    Svelta
    I would say this car is a lot lot less than svelte.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    I would say this car is a lot lot less than svelte.
    which is also valid for that other monstrosity, now as a hybrid...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

which is also valid for that other monstrosity, now as a hybrid...
    pretend it doesn't exist, it's easier, but it doesn't solve the problem.

pretend it doesn't exist, it's easier, but it doesn't solve the problem.
    I saw one here today, doing a traffic light sprint with a Cayenne...(either drug or cotton traders)

I saw one here today, doing a traffic light sprint with a Cayenne...(either drug or cotton traders)
    now I see why you're not having fun over there...

The Svelta is just embarrassing.
    Ugh agreed, maybe it the huge wing was shrunk and you took your glasses off, it might look great in that shade of blue haha. As for the spyder, they did a good job makin it look like an actual spider, which isn't a good thing b/c they really aren't the most striking animals on the planet.

Yes how embarrassing it must be that a car you designed and built and drove in your country's premier road-racing event, was quicker than Porsche 911 GT3 RS and Lamborghini SuperLeggera and Nissan GTR etc.

Because style rulz over substance, at least for the cognoscenti here on UCP.

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    Yes how embarrassing it must be that a car you designed and built and drove in your country's premier road-racing event, was quicker than Porsche 911 GT3 RS and Lamborghini SuperLeggera and Nissan GTR etc.

Because style rulz over substance, at least for the cognoscenti here on UCP.
    for what is worth, I prefer the Radical styling over this one. (and the SR8 will probably be faster too...)

What is curious to me is that the bike-derived V8 is also run through Honda's six speed manual. Is that the first such case? (aren't those engine usually paired with bike derived sequentials?)
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

for what is worth, I prefer the Radical styling over this one. (and the SR8 will probably be faster too...)
    perhaps more attractive, maybe faster .. but a trailer queen in Oz (nowhere near street-registerable).

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    perhaps more attractive, maybe faster .. but a trailer queen in Oz (nowhere near street-registerable).
    that's your problem...in some countries it is....

Thread Information