Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ID this Ferrari please

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    Had to check and now I'd say no, see attachments (last is another bonus).
    (cavallino )
    sorry, i F up my Italian words frequently, and you always catch me. that horn button looks familiar, so i guess i have seen that too. but looks like it would be an easy swap to put the ferrari horn button on there.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    sorry, i F up my Italian words frequently, and you always catch me. that horn button looks familiar, so i guess i have seen that too. but looks like it would be an easy swap to put the ferrari horn button on there.
    No probs for your Italian (which I doubt you use it often enough to learn it). I F very frequently all sorts of English words, it would just be annoying to continuously correct me.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Do i understand you guys correctly here..........the Dino was made by someone else and is not a Ferrari, and was never badged as a Ferrari???
    I'm just an oldhustler trapped in a hotrodders world
    I have been doing so much with so little for so long I can do anything with nothing.
    Fiberglass is traditional.From Malmesbury,South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by willysjeep View Post
    Do i understand you guys correctly here..........the Dino was made by someone else and is not a Ferrari, and was never badged as a Ferrari???
    the Dino was made by Ferrari, but on orders of the boss it was supposed to be a separate brand, (to honour his son who died in 1956 and was behind the design of the original V6) so the name ferrari appears nowhere. (The wheelnuts had yellow "dino" badges). The picture I posted shows the chassis number and refers to the model "dino 246GT, but there is a factory plate in the back with a prancing horse on it. This might not be original as it is very easy to replicate.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

only the later 308 GT4 dinos had ferrari badge
    12 cylinders or walk!

Quote Originally Posted by dydzi View Post
    only the later 308 GT4 dinos had ferrari badge
    yes, but these were V8 engines.....
    so no need to honour Alfredino anymore.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    the Dino was made by Ferrari, but on orders of the boss it was supposed to be a separate brand, (to honour his son who died in 1956 and was behind the design of the original V6) so the name ferrari appears nowhere. (The wheelnuts had yellow "dino" badges). The picture I posted shows the chassis number and refers to the model "dino 246GT, but there is a factory plate in the back with a prancing horse on it. This might not be original as it is very easy to replicate.
    PHEW had me worried for a moment.....thought i was wrong for all these years
    I'm just an oldhustler trapped in a hotrodders world
    I have been doing so much with so little for so long I can do anything with nothing.
    Fiberglass is traditional.From Malmesbury,South Africa

hi first time poster here, there was a more cynical reason why enzo didn't badge 206 and 246 dinos as ferraris, Dino was working on the narrow angle v6 engine for f2 racing at the time enzo's cars where all huge v12 monsters and he didn't want to dilute his brand with a weedy 2.0 liter so he tested the market with the dino brand, personally I think it's a travisty to rebadge a dino as a ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by KEV1.3S View Post
    hi first time poster here, there was a more cynical reason why enzo didn't badge 206 and 246 dinos as ferraris, Dino was working on the narrow angle v6 engine for f2 racing at the time enzo's cars where all huge v12 monsters and he didn't want to dilute his brand with a weedy 2.0 liter so he tested the market with the dino brand, personally I think it's a travisty to rebadge a dino as a ferrari
    Indeed, it's like spitting on Dino's grave.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    Indeed, it's like spitting on Dino's grave.
    or playing the usual wannabe game thinking if are zero if you don't have a Ferrari.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

I am not convinced about that V12 preference story. When Dino died he was working on the V6 for the F2 class, and hence Enzo declared that every V6 should bear the name Dino in his honour.
    Prior to the 246, Ferrari had launched already a new V6-Dino programme for its sports prototypes (the 196 and 246) which culminated in the beautiful 206S. All these cars had the Dino suffix, and I don't think that was because of Ferrari not wanting not V12 Ferraris being called Ferraris. (They had been highly successful with the 4 cylinder 500-625-750 engines too, and there was also the brutish 118-121LM inline six).

I don't doubt that enzo wanted to pay homage to his son but you have to admit that the dino brand was a was a safe way to test the market for a smaller engine ferrari road car, Enzo had toyed around with smaller engines in racing before with 4 and 6 cylinders but not in his road cars, in fact he had developed a four cylinder engine in the late fifties for a road car but he didn't put it into a ferrari he leased the rights to asa, on a final note the 308 gt4 was originally badged as a dino until sales took took off in the US then they were swiftly re badged as ferraris witch spawned a whole linage of v8 powered ferraris.
    Last edited by KEV1.3S; 08-08-2009 at 10:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jerry42 View Post
    A friend sent me this picture, i couldnt find it in the lists anywhere.

Can anyone give me a positive ID?
    The car pictured was also referred to as a Dino 246 GTB (Berlinetta) to distinguish it from the Targa-roofed GTS (Spyder) version.

Quote Originally Posted by KEV1.3S View Post
    I don't doubt that enzo wanted to pay homage to his son but you have to admit that the dino brand was a was a safe way to test the market for a smaller engine ferrari road car, Enzo had toyed around with smaller engines in racing before with 4 and 6 cylinders but not in his road cars, in fact he had developed a four cylinder engine in the late fifties for a road car but he didn't put it into a ferrari he leased the rights to asa, on a final note the 308 gt4 was originally badged as a dino until sales took took off in the US then they were swiftly re badged as ferraris witch spawned a whole linage of v8 powered ferraris.
    by the same token you could say that the ASA did not sell very well (understatment) because it was not branded as a Ferrari....

Quote Originally Posted by BarneyBoy View Post
    The car pictured was also referred to as a Dino 246 GTB (Berlinetta) to distinguish it from the Targa-roofed GTS (Spyder) version.
    True, but it was never officially a GTB, only GT. The GTB moniker wasn't used until Ferrari started building the Pininfarina 308's (GTB & GTS).

Thread Information