Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: F1 drops team orders ban + new engines for 2013

Quote Originally Posted by roosterjuicer View Post
    Why cant they just do the rule along the lines of, "you have X amount of displacement, and X amount of engines you can use in a season. Go ahead and try to make as much power as you possibly can."

It seems to me like this type of rule would really push the engineering envelope. Maybe we'd get lucky and some of that engineering would find its way into our street cars.
    All that type of rule would achieve is pushing the budgets out of control.

Quote Originally Posted by LHamilton_w View Post
    Boo to 4 cylinders. This is F1, not F3000 or some "feeder" series! F1 is too good to use 4 cylinder engines.
    F1 will only be as good as the sponsor interest, and the current engine formula is massively irrelevant to both the needs of the manufacturers and sponsors, hence the switch.
    I am the Stig

Indeed, if this is an indrect means to a future with 35% improved fuel efficiency, vastly-improved KERS, and 1.6l 4cyls with hundreds and hundreds of BHPs, then future looks alright.

But by then, F1 cars will be single-cylinder hydrogen racers, or entirely CGI-renderd simulations! I wouldn't be surprised.

I'm with a lot of you guys about the engine restrictions, but it is what it is. No one seems to be mentioning the deletion of team orders though - is this because it's basically been a non-rule any way? Or is the FIA tired of having to try and enforce the rule on their golden child Ferrari?

Quote Originally Posted by ScionDriver View Post
    I'm with a lot of you guys about the engine restrictions, but it is what it is. No one seems to be mentioning the deletion of team orders though - is this because it's basically been a non-rule any way? Or is the FIA tired of having to try and enforce the rule on their golden child Ferrari?
    or tired of hearing Horner that there are no team orders and then silently favouring Vettel?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

while webber acted like a spoilt kid when it didnt go his way during '09 or '10 , i think it was RB managment that was favouring the austrian rather than mr horner alone

in the interests of having a team work together , christian horner probablly did want his drivers to feel equal. he sure did bang on about it long & hard ever since turkey
    Last edited by Badsight; 12-11-2010 at 12:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Badsight View Post
    while webber acted like a spoilt kid when it didnt go his way during '09 or '10 , i think it was RB managment that was favouring the austrian rather than mr horner alone

in the interests of having a team work together , christian horner probablly did want his drivers to feel equal. he sure did bang on about it long & hard ever since turkey
    Sure, but Horner is the vocal one on the team, so he had to do the small talk.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Some F1 rule changes that were rejected, courtesy of Sniff Petrol:

Last week the FIA announced Formula 1 rule changes for 2011 and beyond. However, not all of the proposed rules were passed by the sport’s governing body. Now Sniff Petrol can exclusively reveal the regulation changes that didn’t make it:

* Ferrari to agree in advance which rules they’re going to ignore.
    * Michael Schumacher allowed to pretend he wasn’t in 2010 season.
    * All teams to use 1.6-litre turbo four-cylinder engine from Fiesta RS Turbo.
    * Ferrari allowed to ignore agreement about which rules they’re ignoring.
    * Karun Chandhok to be re-classified as a ‘removable device’.
    * All teams allowed to buy sixth engine from scrapyard.
    * Stefano Domenicali limited to 50 appearances on BBC F1 coverage per season.
    * Nankang to become second tyre supplier from 2012.
    * All teams permitted to fit new air filter to Fiesta RS Turbo engine and then claim ‘XTRA 50BHP!!!!!!!!!’
    * Kamui Kobayashi limited to four ambitious overtaking moves per season.
    * Korean Grand Prix to become 35 percent less muddy by 2014.
    * Eddie Jordan limited to 900 tons of bullshit per season.
    * Bernd Maylander in a Mercedes SLS to be recognised as an official world championship entry.
    * A minimum of five teams called Lotus by 2013.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Some changes for the 2013 season re: aerodynamics, handling, etc. courtesy of the BBC

"The major changes for 2013 and beyond will be:

* Much smaller front and rear wings;

* A far greater proportion of the total downforce of the cars will be created by the underfloor, compared to the wings;

* A major reduction in the amount of total downforce created by the car;

* To achieve this, the underfloor of the cars will be shaped along its length to generate downforce for the first time since the 1982 season - currently cars have bottoms that are flat between the wheels;

* The average proportion of a lap that a driver is able to spend on full throttle to be cut from 70% in 2010 to 50% in 2013;

* Tyres will remain large and chunky to ensure cornering speeds remain high."

I think it'll make for some more competitive racing, but by then so much else will have changed as well

Quote Originally Posted by aiasib View Post
    Some changes for the 2013 season re: aerodynamics, handling, etc. courtesy of the BBC

"The major changes for 2013 and beyond will be:

* Much smaller front and rear wings;

* A far greater proportion of the total downforce of the cars will be created by the underfloor, compared to the wings;

* A major reduction in the amount of total downforce created by the car;

* To achieve this, the underfloor of the cars will be shaped along its length to generate downforce for the first time since the 1982 season - currently cars have bottoms that are flat between the wheels;

* The average proportion of a lap that a driver is able to spend on full throttle to be cut from 70% in 2010 to 50% in 2013;

* Tyres will remain large and chunky to ensure cornering speeds remain high."

I think it'll make for some more competitive racing, but by then so much else will have changed as well
    I think all of this is ridiculous. I see nothing wrong with the new engine, but these restrictions on downforce are curtailing development and will in the end be detrimental to the sport. F1 Chiefs are angry at current regulations, these must be driving them apeshit.
    "Don't think your time on bad things
    Just float your little mind around"
    Jimi Hendrix

Those restrictions will be made with the knowledge a good portion will be clawed back though.
    I am the Stig

The problem isn't downforce, but creating a formula which allows both cars with a lot of downforce and close racing, which is the reason for those proposed changes. In a nutshell, it's a new engine with good old CART aerodynamics. That's at least a conslusion the guys at atlasf1 reached and I agree.

Abu Dhabi wasn't so long ago. Hamilton was over a second faster than Kubica on fresher tyres and he still couldn't overtake.
    Would it be possible, to play forever?
    The conclusion reached was that a player is inevitably doomed to lose.

Places like Abu Dhabi are flawed though. The speed over a lap is made up through the corners obviously, but they can only pass on the straights and when they make them so long, the cars lose most of their momentum by the end.
    I am the Stig

The problem there wasn't only about turbulence, but also about rev capped engines and corners which made it too easy to defend before the straights.

Anyhow...
    Would it be possible, to play forever?
    The conclusion reached was that a player is inevitably doomed to lose.

Thread Information