Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: i don't know what pisses me off more - laptop computers or washing machines

I have a $4000NZD macbook pro. The fan broke recently after just over 2 years. But then I play games like Crysis, and Undercover on it for hrs on end everyday... so yea...

I'm curious about which brand of laptop you have BlingBling. Most standard store offered laptops (think HP, Gateway, etc) are relatively inexpensive yet they can still offer high-performance parts. It's because they spend the money on the parts that can be advertised to impress people, while skimping on the generic parts that make up the rest of the laptop. That's why laptops like systems from IBM, Falcon Northwest, Apple, and similar manufacturers cost so much more. They invest money in more than just the processor/RAM/harddrive. I'm guessing that a lot of laptops aren't designed to handle the higher performing parts crammed into them, because companies like HP use the same general laptop body across most of their lines.
    i was waiting on a moment, but the moment never came. all the billion other moments, were just slipping all away. i must have been tripping, we're just slipping all away. just ego tripping.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin View Post
    I'm curious about which brand of laptop you have BlingBling. Most standard store offered laptops (think HP, Gateway, etc) are relatively inexpensive yet they can still offer high-performance parts. It's because they spend the money on the parts that can be advertised to impress people, while skimping on the generic parts that make up the rest of the laptop. That's why laptops like systems from IBM, Falcon Northwest, Apple, and similar manufacturers cost so much more. They invest money in more than just the processor/RAM/harddrive. I'm guessing that a lot of laptops aren't designed to handle the higher performing parts crammed into them, because companies like HP use the same general laptop body across most of their lines.
    This. I hate people who build their own machines with hot hardware, then underbuild other stuff and brag about the money they're saving. I'd rather have something that works for an extra bit of money than something that overheats constantly because "laptops just can't handle that kind of power." Mine out benchmarks most desktops and I never have trouble with overheating. I did have faulty ram, but they replaced it for free, payed for shipping, and upgraded my soundcard (free) to compensate me for the trouble. Not everything you spend money on shows up on a standard spec sheet.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    I had a gateway laptop back in the day, then a dell and now a dell again and I've never had the fan go out. The previous dell to the one I have now did have a hard drive failure though.

My desktop fan did go out, but it was easy to replace. That was because my roommates cat apparently loved to hide behind the computer and the thing was full of cathair.
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

i've got an HP pavilion, hp's laptops hardly can be considered well made. i guess we got different standards

and as for your toshiba, i'd want something like that. i dont realyl care how bulky it is, weight doesn't matter.

which raises the problem i had initialyl said. these manufacturers went with "smaller size" isntead of reliability. but what about guys like me, who don't care about weight and just want reliability. i WANT to trade lightness for reliability. yet i have no options in the retail world. everything just becomes more compact and the flaws of compact design is showing. no variety at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin View Post
    you're exactly right. i think i'm going to go IBM next time. i have never heard of F-NW, and don't want to be bothered with learning how to use the apple OS proficiently.
    it was actually me who killed vasilli zaitsev, heinz thorwald, carlos hatchcock, and simo hayha

I've managed to keep a Compaq Presario laptop running for nearly 5 years without problem. Your obviously just not handling them properly.

always let the computer breathe.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

My notebook went back numerous times now. It sucks in reliability POV. I had three fans, two hard drives, one motherboard, a DVD burner, a battery, a screen and parts of its casing replaced by now (2 years). Long live warranty.

Ow i almost forgot the messed up german keyboard i got back after repairs.

Reliable my ass.

As with all manufacturing processes there is a possibility of a fault, concidering all the parts, materials (look at the types of saterials a computer is made of) and connections, is amazing that more doesn't go wrong.

If you can't use a laptop or washing machine properly and look after them you seriously have something wrong with you.
    I want to die in my sleep like my Grandma, not screaming like the other 3 people in her car.

There are 10 types of people in this world. People who understand binary and people who don't.

Have to add an interesting point on the comaprative laptops going on.
    There area only a handful of "reference designes" everyone uses and even LESS actual manufacturers !!
    eg HP stopped making them themself about 15 years ago. Contracted out manufacturing to 2 companies and then later contracted out the design. They now do the SPECIFICATION and a very small part of unique design input which is the part where suppliers actually differentiate.

HP are like others with a wide range. You can get the $300 laptop or the $3000 laptop.
    Don't expect the same level of enginerring or longevity for $300 IN the past companies like Lenovo ONLY focussed on business computers. TO match that get an HP Omnobool. Mine has fallen off desks -- whilst running -- and spent 4 years on and off more planes than a trout in the Hudson River !

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    I've managed to keep a Compaq Presario laptop running for nearly 5 years without problem. Your obviously just not handling them properly.

always let the computer breathe.
    a premature conclusion my friend
    it was actually me who killed vasilli zaitsev, heinz thorwald, carlos hatchcock, and simo hayha

Of my close friends, 4 or more have had major laptop problems with laptops less than 2 or 3 years old. On the otherhand, my families PCs have been reliable as rocks and out old one is still running form 1999.

In my experience, laptops are unreliable and a pain in the behind.

I am typing this on a 5,5 year old Dell Inspiron 8600. The only thing that needed to be replaced so far was the battery. In 2007 we replaced the harddisk, not because it was broken, but it was too slow and too small (80 GB).
    Since 1978 we have had three washing machines. Third one (Miele) is still working very well.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

i guess they don't make laptops like they used to...

Like I said, far more powerful components are being shoehorned into bodies that haven't been redesigned significantly enough to handle said power. There's an inherent issue with the format of laptops naturally, due to the components approaching desktop levels, while being placed in small enclosed shells.
    i was waiting on a moment, but the moment never came. all the billion other moments, were just slipping all away. i must have been tripping, we're just slipping all away. just ego tripping.

But that's why laptops have their own processor families -- low power, low heat
    ALso, to be fair, a LOT of "Problems" that noobs report are finger trouble ... "updating" to latest driver or isntalling latest game and the machine gets "hosed" and then runs slow or never switches to low power/low heat modes etc etc etc.
    And of course EVERYONE is an expert on PCs and seem able to determine machines are faulty with their super psychic abilities.

80% of faults end up being on the seat to keyboard interface

Another point missed in the "lack of common sense" brigade is that laptops were meant for travelling and hence NOT for being permanently on ! If you want a machine for 24/7 then it shoudl be specced to do and be either a blade or a propoer case. This is one where som emanufacturers need a slap for NOT telling customers this. Liek the whole "vista ready" BS from years back. THose machines never had a chance of running Viusta and they knew it but had stuck doggedly to their marketing camping I can't count the number of laptops where people complain about performance, speed, boot up , reliability, access and a million other things adn running Vista in 500Mb RAM. £15 and a 1Gb memory addition and it's a new machine as far as they're concerned
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 01-18-2009 at 05:55 PM.

Thread Information