Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need For Speed Hot Pursuit

Need For Speed Hot Pursuit

I pre-ordered this game a while back, and it came today. My God I was blown away.

When I talk (review) about any sort of products, I always talk about the pros and cons, but this game... I spent all day playing it with a friend, and we honestly can't find anything wrong with it. Only thing we haven't tried is online mode.

Here's what I think about the game, note that this is only my opinion

- Amazing graphics. Fantastic environments, and flawless car models. It is also very well optimised, so I can run it on full HD, and all graphics maxed out, and it will still not lag.

- Amazing physics. NFS physics has always been horrible ever since Undercover. I mean, Undercover physics was bearable, but everything after was horrible. This game not only has good physics for a NFS game, it has one of the best physics from a racing game I've ever played. But then this really is up to personal preferences.

- Amazing car choices. This game has A LOT of cars. From the Aston Martin One-77, to the Carbon Motors Police Interceptor. From the Porsche 918 Spyder concept, to the Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione. It really has almost everything you could want... except Ferraris. Every single one of these cars are incredibly accurate, and detailed. They are modeled extremely well.

- Amazing game play. This isn't a traditional racing game. Playing as cop has just as much importance as playing as racer. Not only that, you have weapons to deploy, such as EMP bombs, and helicopters, and of course the traditional spike strips. Both cop and racers have their own weapons, and it adds a whole new dimension to the racing game genre.

So there you have it. A rather long review of the new NFS racing game. I'm sure many of you has lost faith in the NFS series, and I certainly have too. But this one... I honestly am blown away.
    Last edited by Roentgen; 11-19-2010 at 06:52 AM.
    www.flickr.com/photos/maestro_ng

I was actually at the launch party for this game in Sydney last night.

Big Boy (Of Outkast fame) was there + performed etc.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Quote Originally Posted by whiteballz View Post
    I was actually at the launch party for this game in Sydney last night.

Big Boy (Of Outkast fame) was there + performed etc.
    Nice... I wish there were things like that here in NZ...

LMAO! Turtle and Drama are in this !?

Quote Originally Posted by DesmoRob View Post
    LMAO! Turtle and Drama are in this !?
    Lol. "You couldn't outrun a three-legged dog." NFS's commercials played quite a few times, didn't it?
    I haven't played NFS since Underground 2...the franchise was LARGELY slept on for me. Good to hear that the franchise finally "came back" with this game.
    I gotta' see/play it for myself.
    "Every time I close the door on reality, it comes in through the windows." -- Unknown

Wow, an NFS game that might be worth playing.. that takes me back. Gonna have to find a demo...
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    Wow, an NFS game that might be worth playing.. that takes me back. Gonna have to find a demo...
    +1
    i do remember good times with the original, using the VT (?) HSV etc if i recall correctly
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

I've been playing it the last couple hours. It is a blast, but the physics aren't great. They are what you'd expect from an NFS game. You tap the brakes and drift through corners just like in past games. There is no real skill involved here. Just drive as fast as you possibly can, and try to avoid oncoming traffic. That said, it really is a fun way to kill time.

I've been playing it the last couple hours. It is a blast, but the physics aren't great. They are what you'd expect from an NFS game. You tap the brakes and drift through corners just like in past games. There is no real skill involved here. Just drive as fast as you possibly can, and try to avoid oncoming traffic. That said, it really is a fun way to kill time.
    At least it's a HUGE improvement over Shift's physics. I drove an LP640 in Shift, and it was literally steering from the rear wheels. And though drifting is obviously not realistic, remember this is a full arcade game, not a simulation.

I think by amazing physics, I should specify physics that feels great, not realistic...

Gorilla's supra and justin's GTR.. two great examples of definitive jap riceburner's, and how they should be.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

I went looking for a demo.. turns out there was one, but they killed access to it on the 9th. I guess they don't want every possible sale.. cos I certainly ain't buying it before trying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Roentgen View Post
    At least it's a HUGE improvement over Shift's physics. I drove an LP640 in Shift, and it was literally steering from the rear wheels. And though drifting is obviously not realistic, remember this is a full arcade game, not a simulation.

I think by amazing physics, I should specify physics that feels great, not realistic...
    Yea, I suppose it feels fine in that sense.

So a few faults I've uncovered so far:

- If you don't finish with a Gold, you typically won't progress as the game gets more difficult. You either get gold and progress, or bronze/merit/pass which will mostly leave you staying behind to retry.
    - As you move on, the times that the game wants you to complete courses in get stupidly, stupidly short for the length of the track. In order to pass, you'll have to drift around every corner perfectly, and not hit a single thing, which you'll find to be quite strenuous as you keep reading this.
    - Each time you bump a fence or guard rail, 2 seconds get lost, regardless if it actually slowed you down that amount of time or not.
    - The pace of the cars in this game is an unrealistic Millennium Falcon with NOS speed, making it extremely difficult to maneuver out of the way of random barriers and oncoming traffic. You'll find yourself swerving left right and center, whilst your opponent seemingly effortlessly glides around things and out accelerates you doing it too.

At first I was moving on nicely through the game as both cop and racer, but now with the combination of things I've listed, no matter how hard I drive the gonads off these cars, I still am at least 10 seconds or more behind from where I need to be.

Maybe I'm just too accustomed to playing actual racing simulators, that I don't know how to improperly drive.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    I went looking for a demo.. turns out there was one, but they killed access to it on the 9th. I guess they don't want every possible sale.. cos I certainly ain't buying it before trying it.
    don't buy it. There, I've saved you the trouble.

Maybe I'm just too accustomed to playing actual racing simulators, that I don't know how to improperly drive.

This. My roommate and I have been playing this game for the last several days. I still can't adjust to the driving physics - it's drift or else - and I don't think it meshes well with my (relatively more) realistic GT4 experience.

It's not bad, but I think it's hilarious that I get penalized for touching a wall but nothing happens when I head-on an incoming Audi at 120 mph when driving as a cop.

It's fun for quick mindless entertainment. Don't expect any sort of customization. Once you realize this, you will probably enjoy the game. After all, where else can you force a Stirling Moss SLR into oncoming traffic in a Murcielago?
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Played the PS3 demo, hated it completely. I'm so glad I tried it beforehand, I was ready to buy it.
    2011 Honda Civic Si

ATHEIST and damn proud of it.

don't buy it. There, I've saved you the trouble.
    That was easy. Thanks!

Thread Information