Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
Eh. For commuting, diesel probably makes more sense.
It only does if A prices are very high and B the difference between those prices is significant. If not, you may as well stick with the petrol engine.
Quote Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I don't know about Chrysler, but I heave heard about Mazda's aspirations. If the new Mazda 6 is as good as I have heard it its, Mazda might get a purchase. We're in the market for a car this year possibly.
Chrysler as in the Jeep Grand Cherokee. They will be introducing the V6 VM Motori engine currently used in EDM Grand Cherokees in the US.
Quote Originally Posted by culver View Post
Almost 15 years ago I spent a summer in Japan. In some ways you would expect Japan, like Europe to really embrace diesel. While far more common than in the US, diesel's were far less common than in Europe. I can only assume that the combination of prices, regulations etc that made diesel popular in Europe and rare in the US made them less common in Japan. Japan has expensive gas and lots of good diesel technology yet they didn't have nearly the diesel mix of Europe.
This (and the rest of the post too).

They also say that the difference in taxation between diesel and petrol in Europe is protectionist measure against foreign car makers, because no one but European car manufacturers have the expertise to make good diesels (although Japan seems to be catching up quickly).