Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: M3 vs 2011 Mustang GT

M3 vs 2011 Mustang GT

2011 BMW M3 Coupe vs. 2011 Ford Mustang GT Comparison - Motor Trend

Wonder how the new Boss will do against the BMW...
    "Wise man say: Forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza."

Interesting comparo, Looks like a fun track too.

Nicely done for the mustang to do what it did.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

I don't normally like these wildly different comparisons, but that's actually pretty cool. Congrats to the Mustang.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    Ahhh Top Gear has ruined me. Any time I read anything about autos it comes out in my head with a british accent.
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

I think what this shows most of all is that the M3 should cost less. If enough manufacturers can beat the Germans at their own game, maybe they will get off their badge-snobbery horse and price the cars more reasonably.

However if I was in the market for an M3, which has basically designed its market segment, I think I would buy an M3. Though if I was in the market for a sports coupe, I would have to take the tire-shredding slice of apple pie.

Also, this makes me so very excited to see what the Boss can do.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Nevermind lap times, the Mustang must quite a lot more fun. And that's all that matters.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

gotta say I'm quite blown away at how well that new 5.0 performs. I doubt it'll change anyone's opinion/mind on the cars they've set out to buy though. Regardless of their similarities in performance, they're still marketed towards two very different types of people. I'll have the BMW, black/black.

I think this article shows just how far ahead of the game BMW was when they made the E9X series M3. The car is coming up to its third birthday while still maintaining the slightest of overall advantage against a car that is completely brand new.

I think that people should consider the reason why MotorTrend and others initially thought that this comparison would be unfair/Odd/Unlikely or anything other than a completely valid comparison...

Cars are not priced by performance alone. Something that many people seem to forget. It is plainly obvious why the BMW costs more than the Ford. Marketing factors such as Brand value and Perceived quality make up a good portion of the difference as well as the fact that it costs more to make an E9X series M3 then it does to make a 2011 Ford Mustang GT, even though they literally achieve equal performance (IMO).

However none of this is to detract from the Ford. It is a great car and the engine is simply awesome. Randy Probst's comments tell of somewhat lose suspension control that ultimately leads to the Mustang requiring a larger set of brass ones to eek the peak performance out of it. However he did praise the overall balance of the car which I would say is the biggest "win" over the BMW.

According to Randy though, it looks like the BMW is safer and inspires more confidence which inevitably leads to it being easier to drive to the limit.

In summary: The Mustang is a brilliant car and with a professional driver behind the wheel it achieves performance equal to a modern M3. However in the hands of Joe Average, it is the BMW M3 that still maintains the advantage. Which is highly respectable for a car approaching its third birthday.
    Last edited by hightower99; 08-24-2010 at 02:19 AM.
    Power, whether measured as HP, PS, or KW is what accelerates cars and gets it up to top speed. Power also determines how far you take a wall when you hit it
    Engine torque is an illusion.

image and branding aside (they're obviously going after different buyers), that's a good comparo. well done the mustang! now sink some of that left over change you saved over the M3 into some mods..
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    image and branding aside (they're obviously going after different buyers), that's a good comparo. well done the mustang! now sink some of that left over change you saved over the M3 into some mods..
    You mean like this?
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

well by the sounds of it..i'd be spending the money on suspension first.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Just pick up a new Boss 302, remove the flashy graphics, and call it a day.
    "Wise man say: Forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza."

I'm actually a bit surprised as the 5.0 suspension ain't really that much better than the old 4.6. I would have thought it would have taken some Koni/Tokico shocks and struts, and some decent springs -- at least.

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    now sink some of that left over change you saved over the M3 into some mods..
    No, don't. Really, don't even go there. Trust me.
    Turning money into memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasmus View Post

No, don't. Really, don't even go there. Trust me.
    can of worms..opened

The new 5.0 is a monster... wish I could trade the Z in for one of those.

Thread Information