Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Accessorized Car - Europe's Active Lifestyle Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    there is nothing as pointless as an X3 or a cayenne wallowing about in city traffic.
    I would just like to make an amendment to your statement here if you don't mind.....

There is nothing as pointless as an X3. Nothing more needs to be said.

Where I stand, I really like 4WDs and SUVs. (except for the X3). I don't own one though, only because I can't afford to run one yet. But as soon as I can afford one I will most likely be buying a Mazda Tribute or something along those lines. Why? Because I want one. For no other reason because of that. I have absolutely no need of an SUV. So does this make me one of your show offs anymore than if I were to drive an Aston Martin? Because it sounds to me that if these same people were to be driving a car they wouldn't be show offs even though an AM is probably 5 times as much money as your everyday SUV. If people were just that little, well OK, a lot more careful then we wouldn't be worried whether people drove a Yaris or a Patrol in the city.

Do I have a point? Well, yes actually. Who really gives a crap what you drive. If you want to drive a 997cc whatever, then feel free. Presonally I would like something that can reach freeway speeds before I get to my destination. But, if you want to drive a V8 Landcruiser, well it is you money after all. Spend up on whatever you want to drive. It is only money after all. You can't take it with you!!

I dont know about the X3 being that bad. It is smaller than the X5 with the same amount of storage space (and really same amount of room inside in my opinion). I drove one once and it really did not feel as big as it was.

If they sold a diesel version in the US it might (dare I say it) be a reasonable SUV. But they only sell it with petrol engines here until 2008 at the earliest.

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks View Post
    Is that against UCP rule #2 or something like that?

What I'm trying to say is, people will buy them as long as they think they're "cool" and there's no stopping them. Sure there are better alternatives, but what can you do about it? Zilch. So why stress over it?

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    if you drove any meaningful distance west you'd probably be in the atlantic
    Very good point.

For Volvoman- You posted what I wanted to say, only in a more clear and concise way. I'm not very eloquent with English.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    what can you do about it? Zilch. So why stress over it?

I don't have a problem with people liking SUVs and buying them

Darn it, I'm not allowed to have just a smilie.......

For me the worst thing about SUVs and 4WDs is when you 'aquire' one of those tailgating morons - the intimidatory types who seem to have that irresistable need to latch their gigantasorous onto your rear bumper and impose themselves upon your personal safety for mile after mindless mile. I've had to deal with two of these twits so far this week and it's not even wednesday yet!

But looking on the bright side, even old clunker sedans (like mine eg) can comprehensively outhandle about 90% of these high-CoG leviathans on the road today, and imho this of course leads to the best thing about SUVs!

The important thing to realise about many of these habitual tailgaters who remain 'surgically attached' mere inches from the rear of your car is that they are not the ones who are really driving the train - rather their aggressive actions are usually of a subconcious nature and they have actually reduced themselves into being mindless followers. So in fact it is you who is in control of them!

So after lulling these imperious road-bullies into the classic 'false sense of security' situation then all you need for a comprehensive return-serve is a half decent bend - decreasing radius corners are perfect, with bonus-points for off-camber. But on most bends the trick is simply to not lift off, just maintain your entry speed as you cut a smooth line while floating it through on a neutral throttle. The fun bit starts as you really crank on the G's through the apex - then grab a quick look in the mirror mid-corner to enjoy seeing the SUV's dramatic roll angle, tippy stance and especially that wide-eyed expression of the driver just as they're getting a real-time reality check as to their own bloody personal safety

If they survive the corner intact then there's further delight to be had in watching them drop right back away from your car, awoken from their torpor and scared out of their wits, never to bother you again

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    For me the worst thing about SUVs and 4WDs is when you 'aquire' one of those tailgating morons - the intimidatory types who seem to have that irresistable need to latch their gigantasorous onto your rear bumper and impose themselves upon your personal safety for mile after mindless mile. I've had to deal with two of these twits so far this week and it's not even wednesday yet!

But looking on the bright side, even old clunker sedans (like mine eg) can comprehensively outhandle about 90% of these high-CoG leviathans on the road today, and imho this of course leads to the best thing about SUVs!
    So very true.

Some of the quarter mile times are truly embarrassing.

I think that's a general problem with people driving german cars...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

What I don't like about America is that the select few, including myself, understand and appreciate the capabilities of smaller family cars, be it a coupe/sedan/estate/hatchback, but are drowned out by the overwhelming group of SUV lovin' good ol' Americans. I'm all for improved diesels and smaller city-friendly cars.. but I can't see it happening any time in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    What I don't like about America is that the select few, including myself, understand and appreciate the capabilities of smaller family cars, be it a coupe/sedan/estate/hatchback, but are drowned out by the overwhelming group of SUV lovin' good ol' Americans. I'm all for improved diesels and smaller city-friendly cars.. but I can't see it happening any time in the near future.
    But then why not buy large estates, or MPVs? I sometimes don't understand why some people buy one. Yes I know the argument of image, but still that's not very rational.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I think that's a general problem with people driving german cars...
    I drive a german car ........ ..... .... .. .

(its those motorised Spanish conquistadors you really have to worry about)

But then why not buy large estates, or MPVs? I sometimes don't understand why some people buy one. Yes I know the argument of image, but still that's not very rational.
    Americans are just generally excessive and want a "macho" image. Is an MPV just a minivan in European speak? The MPV gives an image of a soft soccer mom and large wagons don't seem macho, to them at least. Americans remember boring station wagons when they think about estates.

I drive a german car ........ ..... .... .. .

(its those motorised Spanish conquistadors you really have to worry about)
    Well the thing is in a way I do too...
    Visca Catalunya!

I agree, they should buy MPV's and estates but the image of the SUV in America sits up on a golden pedestal, it's quite sad really. I guess it helps that America has big, open roads but to see people buying Range Rovers and decked out GL-klasse monsters to drive their kids to school is a bit silly.

Thread Information