Thread: 2012 Goodwood Revival report and 390-shot gallery ...

2012 Goodwood Revival report and 390-shot gallery ...

This weekend we once again took a magical step back in time at the annual Goodwood Revival meeting. The period extravaganza at the high speed circuit in England's beautiful region of West Sussex never fails to impress. In addition to the 'regular' program, this year's edition featured a unique pre-War Silver Arrows high speed demonstration, a Ferrari 250 GTO parade, a special Shelby Cobra race and the all American legend Dan Gurney as the special guest. The action kicked off with a race into sunset on Friday evening and kept the record number of spectators on the edge of their seats throughout the weekend. In addition to the spectacle on track, the Revival traditionally has a lot more to offer ranging from period shops to mesmerising displays in the sky. Across the road from the track, Bonhams held their annual auction. Selling some very rare machinery, they more than doubled their revenue compared to last year.
    As always our photographers dressed for the occasion and explored all corners of the former RAF airfield. The result is this detailed report, illustrated by a 390-shot gallery, which is our largest ever from the Revival. Among the many highlights are fire-breathing Aston Martins, sliding Jaguars and wheel-hopping Cobras, often piloted by a host of star drivers.

Enjoy the links:

2012 Goodwood Revival - Report and Slideshow
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Fantastic! The photography gets better with each event.
    There are a few cars named "SLR", a Morgan and an MG, I think. I hadn't heard of an SLR that wasn't a Mercedez-Benz. What does "SLR" stand for or mean?
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

You probably know in the case of Mercedes it is Sport Leicht Rennsport.

I noticed for the last couple of auctions that the price at which the car pictured auctioned for isn't at the bottom of the page anymore, i miss that. But i do love the awesome action pictures from the track, especially the Maserati 151/3, so cool! Shame to hear about the other Maser, it was just debuted after a lengthy restoration last yr iirc

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrafan427 View Post
    I noticed for the last couple of auctions that the price at which the car pictured auctioned for isn't at the bottom of the page anymore, i miss that. But i do love the awesome action pictures from the track, especially the Maserati 151/3, so cool! Shame to hear about the other Maser, it was just debuted after a lengthy restoration last yr iirc
    The Auriana Maserati has only body work damage. Bonhams would normally supply us with a press release about results. We did not get one this time.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    Fantastic! The photography gets better with each event.
    There are a few cars named "SLR", a Morgan and an MG, I think. I hadn't heard of an SLR that wasn't a Mercedez-Benz. What does "SLR" stand for or mean?
    "SLR" stands for Sprinzel LawrenceTune Racing. John Sprinzel and Chris Lawrence got together to make these SLRs. There were three made on the basis of a Morgan Plus 4 and one on the basis of a Triumph TR4. At the Revival all four cars were present. The aluminium bodies were made by Williams & Pritchard. Last year the silver one raced at Paul Ricard. It is in bare polished aluminium, but you cold still read out Chris Lawrence' name on the roof.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by henk4; 09-19-2012 at 10:52 PM.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Thread Information