Thread: New revolutionary British racing formula

New revolutionary British racing formula

A visionary new championship is set to revolutionise British motorsport in 2005 with an unprecedented emphasis on entertainment and broad spectator appeal.

The T1 series, which could see Ford Mondeos, Jaguar X-Types, Alfa 156s, Honda Accords, Mercedes C-Class and even Kia Carens, lining up alongside each other, is the brainchild of circuit owner, MotorSport Vision.

Headed by former F1-driver Jonathan Palmer, MotorSportVision (MSV) took control of four major circuits (Brands Hatch, Oulton Park, Snetterton and Cadwell Park) in January.

T1 will see readily identifiable versions of everyday saloon cars visually spectacularly modified with big flared wheel arches, wings and bumpers. Using the manufacturer’s standard 2-litre engine with little modification, the cars will also be fitted with identical turbocharger kits developed by MSV to boost standard output to a controlled 275bhp.

In order to guarantee the most important ingredient in motor racing - the feat of overtaking - every car will include a power-boost button to deliver an extra 50bhp during a six second burst.

Further encouragement to stamp out any chance of a processional contest will come from the introduction of reversed grids for the first ‘Qualifying race’ with the series leader having to fight their way from the back of a 20 car field. The outcome of the Qualifying race will then determine the grid positions for the second, Championship scoring race.

"For too long much of motorsport has kidded itself that it is providing scintillating entertainment. It is not. If we expect spectators to come in their masses we need to be providing captivating excitement that keeps them enthralled from the start of a race to the chequered flag," explains Jonathan Palmer of MotorSportVision.

He adds: "T1 will press all the right buttons. It has the prefect mix for all the most important people - the spectators, TV audience, teams, drivers and commercial partners."

To further whet public appetite, the fully road legal T1 cars will embark on a publicised roadshow before each round. Race day mornings will also feature a unique slot for all the teams to offer passenger rides to members of the public and guests.

"All in all, T1 is the most rounded British motorsport series ever. It won’t be crippling for the teams, it has bags of commercial appeal and above all, the paying public will be treated to proper racing week in, week out."

The ten round T1 Championship will begin in April 2005. A maximum of 4 cars per manufacturer will be permitted on the grids of 20.

For further information visit www.motorsportvision.co.uk
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen

ALL WHAT YOU SAID

wow that sounds great any indicaion what sort of drivers therrr will be, rookies, profesionals? maybee someone who will be 17 then and looking to start motorsport (mainly rallying
    Cedric - I sound like a chipmunk on there. Some friends of mine were like, "were you going through puberty?" I was like, no I was already 20, I just sound like a girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen
    every car will include a power-boost button to deliver an extra 50bhp during a six second burst.
    [/url]
    not really a fan of the press a buttongain more speed button. But it should make for some exciting finishes
    eat cicada

Quote Originally Posted by SIMPLETON
    not really a fan of the press a buttongain more speed button. But it should make for some exciting finishes

i think that it would be a good idea becaseu then when you go out to overtake down the straight instead of the drag doing its damage you con manage to keep the momentum and pass easier, which means more passing
    Cedric - I sound like a chipmunk on there. Some friends of mine were like, "were you going through puberty?" I was like, no I was already 20, I just sound like a girl.

Chav-tastic!!!!

It'll be competing with the SCV8 series.

275bhp fwd Mondeos with wings that wouldn't look out of place on a 747 or 550bhp rwd tin tops.

The SCV8s are almost a silhouette series, except the chassis are made to fit the original dimensions (length, width, wheelbase etc) of the road going cars.
    Thanks for all the fish

i've heard lots of opinions .. but most were saying that it would dilute the fields in all touring car championships in UK . being harder to get a full field of cars and bigger sponsorship .. the BTCC is still not at the level it was in the mid-late 90's .. so for sure they will suffer ..well that being a little pesimistic .. let's hope it will be a success ..

also . Wouter .is this ..Benelux Racing League http://www.brl-v6.com/en/html/ .. similar to palmer's formula ?
    There is no terrible way of winning
    there is just winning

Sounds great, too bad we probably won't get any coverage of it here in the states. WHY CAN'T GET INTERNATIONAL RACE COVERAGE HERE?!?!?!?
    VIVA FERRARI!!!!!!

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!" ~ Benjamin Franklin

If everything's under control, you're going too slow ~ Mario Andretti

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!" ~ [U]Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: A Savage Journey into the Heart of the American Dream[/U]

about the button giving an extra 50hp for overtaking, do you push it once to have a 6 second burst, able to be used countless times, or do you need to hold it down to keep it working, and that 6 seconds is the maximum pemitted?
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrari Tifosi
    Sounds great, too bad we probably won't get any coverage of it here in the states. WHY CAN'T GET INTERNATIONAL RACE COVERAGE HERE?!?!?!?
    Because Speedvision (now Speed Channel) came under the control of megalomaniac Rupert Murdoch and his axis of evil; AKA-Fox networks.
    Soon after getting its meathooks into Speedvision, Fox began to pander to the slack-jawed trailer trash Nascar audience. Next thing we knew, Speed had morphed into the all-Nascar network faster than you can chug down a six-pack of Budwieser behind the wheel of your pick-up truck.

Now, you can only occasionally watch coverage of F1 and WRC in between multiple repeats of "Nascar Past Champions" and the laughably named "Nascar Tech". (Nascar Tech? What "Tech" is there in Nascar? Surely an oxymoron if I ever heard one!)

Why couldn't Fox leave Speedvision alone for those of us who want to see REAL racing and set up another channel for the Nascar yokels?

Madman of the People

Have to agree with Madman...

though I love Nascar almost as much as F1 and WRC, it is definately over covered by Speed. They don't even get the races, so why do they feel it is so important to rehash the same crap over and over?

Why in gods' name isn't there an F1 talk show like the dozen they have for Nascar? There is so much more technology and politics to F1, much more to talk about. I just don't understrand it...

Anyway, about this T1 series. Sounds exciting, wish I could check it out. One question though, which wheels will be driven on these cars? All fwd? Is there a formula as far as transmissions?

Also I imagine the "push to pass", or hehe "more boost" button will be limited to six seconds of use for the whole race right? Or will there be six seconds for qualifying too?

Six seconds hardly seems time enough to make more than one pass considering the turbo lag associated with small displacement engines...then again I suppose they could wait till they were at max normal boost before hitting the button...

So many details...lol
    Last edited by more-boost1555; 08-13-2004 at 12:38 PM. Reason: forgot something...
    Most wanted cars:

Ford GT, Aston Martin DB9, Nissan Skyline R-34 V-Spec II, 2004 SVT Cobra Mustang, VW Golf R32, TVR Cerbera 4.5, Ford Focus RS, Aston Martin Vanquish S

Still waiting.....Shelby Cobra, Shelby GR1, 2006 Ford Lightning, Next generation SVT Mustang Cobra 2006? Mazda Speed RX8

Quote Originally Posted by more-boost1555
    All fwd?
    Yes

Is there a formula as far as transmissions?
    I don't think so

Six seconds hardly seems time enough to make more than one pass considering the turbo lag associated with small displacement engines...then again I suppose they could wait till they were at max normal boost before hitting the button...
    2 litre turbocharged engines with only 275bhp aren't going to be running big levels of boost, therfore I don't think that turbo lag will be a problem
    Minor levels of tweakery should get a 2.0 lump above 200hp.
    Thanks for all the fish

Thread Information