Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bmw m3 gts

Near the middle of the middle of middle England.
    Now that's pretty good looking, save for the colour. Lets just hope it sounds like the GT2 racer.
    Buying a car and not driving it is like buying a meal and not eating it.

"Oh sh*t, we're going..25!!" - A dear friend of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    needs a lip spoiler or a giant purposeful GT wing instead of the current in-between compromise
    And moar stickers...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

maybe 'CSL' in giant letters down the side too
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

The only question I suppose is do you want to spend craploads of money on a car that screams "i don't care what you think, little man" when you can get the same effect much cheaper by buying a Crapbox?

Other than the otherworldly performance this achieves.....oh, wait.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

I really don't think we'll be seeing many of these on the streets...and if you do you'll be too busy murmering .."whaaaaa........is there some race series happening..?" to make fun of the paint scheme.
    Horsepower wins races. Torque pulls trailers.

http://www.nuerburgring.de/fileadmin/webcam/webcam.jpg <Live cast from the 'Ring.

Need to be lighter still....still almost 3300lb....

And BMW is still dead set on providing crappy brake configuration on their M car.....floating caliper has no place on a performance car, especially one thats supposed to be super-uber-sporty edition of their sporty car....

edit: took a 2nd look and read the press release, it looks like they did upgrade the brake....
    Last edited by RacingManiac; 11-05-2009 at 11:33 AM.
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

1490kg is not bad for a saloon, that's a useful weight saving over the standard car.
    consider the weight of the current evo, for example..
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

I really hate those small, but obviously over-sized spoilers. Especially in black or silver. A lip spoiler would be much more appropriate and would reach a larger market. They could even make it an option if they wanted. It screams rice, rice, baby.

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    1490kg is not bad for a saloon, that's a useful weight saving over the standard car.
    consider the weight of the current evo, for example..
    While that's true, more measure could be taken to make it lighter, especially when you are trying to market it as a lightweight track car...

The problem is common to most nowadays though...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

This car falls deep into the what's the point range for me.

As a road car it's extremely compromised. One of the things that has made the BMW 3 series great is the combination of rewarding handling and driving yet civil ride and comfort. This car seems to have dumped the civility. I guess that's fine but as a track day toy what's the point? I'm sure for the cost of this car I could get any number of other road cars to turn equal laps (Porsches, Corvettes, 370Zs etc). I would probably find something like a Lotus 7 or such to be a better track car anyway while still being "road legal".

As a race car it's nothing when compared to a proper race car. I doubt it would be able to keep up with a Formula Ford 2000 much less something like a Formula Atlantic. So it isn't really a great race car when compared to real race cars.

I guess it will sell well to football players on both sides of the Atlantic.

I suppose it's cheaper to buy the GT4 version and try to register it.
    Also surely cooler, more sleeper (no huge wing), faster and more focused on being just a track car rather than an...orange disease.

Oh, did I say no dsg gearbox in the GT4? A good old H6 unit, scrap the ballast and the detuning ecu, you'll be a happy man (I'd still go for the even faster and sexier Maserati MC GT4 though...).
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

This is a beautiful car by any standards. I love the compromises that BMW made in this car. Those who cannot afford a beauty like this, may tend to dog it out for no earthly reason. Please, be nice to this car.

I love the fact that this car is not a 100% race car and yet it is not 100% comfortable either. This is the sort of car i have been waiting for---graceful, beautiful, and handles like a champ.

BMW, well done.

Quote Originally Posted by G35COUPE View Post
    This is a beautiful car by any standards. I love the compromises that BMW made in this car. Those who cannot afford a beauty like this, may tend to dog it out for no earthly reason. Please, be nice to this car.

I love the fact that this car is not a 100% race car and yet it is not 100% comfortable either. This is the sort of car i have been waiting for---graceful, beautiful, and handles like a champ.

BMW, well done.
    There are many other cars for that purpose. Even an Exige would do the job, and if you want the boot as well, I don't think the previous gen M3 with the CS pack weren't that bad either.

Just because I can't now afford it, it doesn't mean I have to like it, and indeed I don't.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    There are many other cars for that purpose. Even an Exige would do the job, and if you want the boot as well, I don't think the previous gen M3 with the CS pack weren't that bad either.

Just because I can't now afford it, it doesn't mean I have to like it, and indeed I don't.
    Not to mention the Exige S costs half as much as this. In fact 115 grand is almost 911 GT3 territory. And if you want a sports saloons a standard M3 would surely do a better job.

In many ways it reminds me of that Mugen-tuned Civic Type R.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Good analogy, I think I agree.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Thread Information