Page 4 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor

Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500
    I should also point out that the CVs used by the police have heavy duty suspension, therefore saying that a Civic has "about 5x the handling quotient" is a ridiculous claim.
    I'm assuming you got the wrong end of the stick here, as handling does not exist on a CV

I was talking about when you push the steering wheel through your hands to turn corners. In a chase, a Civic would kick the crap out of any CV.

And who knows- stick a couple of ram bars on the front, get 'heavy duty suspension' ( ) and then the cops can enjoy catching more criminals...

And as for shoving them in the back- who gives a shit about how well they fit? They're cons. You want them comfortable?

And 22mpg is ridiculous. In Britain we have cars that can achieve 53mpg on a 'highway' and still get from 0-60 in 9.4 secs (Honda Accord iCDTi, FYI...).

Quote Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6
    And 22mpg is ridiculous. In Britain we have cars that can achieve 53mpg on a 'highway' and still get from 0-60 in 9.4 secs (Honda Accord iCDTi, FYI...).
    A bit Honda biased...? Cops should go in 1-litre engined 5-door Citroen C1s. Even that'll be faster than a CV and they do 61mpg...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer
    A bit Honda biased...? Cops should go in 1-litre engined 5-door Citroen C1s. Even that'll be faster than a CV and they do 61mpg...
    No, it's just that I've been reading up on them lately!

If I wanted to use another example- Audi A4 1.9TDi. Fast as hell. About 48mpg highway, 0-60 in 9.6 secs.

There are plenty of examples, just what slipped into my head!

A C1 faster than a CV? Maybe if we're talking about a 2CV...

A C1 faster than a CV? Maybe if we're talking about a 2CV...
    On a really twisty road... maybe it stands a chance...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

CV's are popular because they suit the job they do. and they are familiar to those who drive them.

No doubt better cars for the Job exist, but they are the benchmark in US police enforcement.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    Whoop-de-do, heavy duty suspension. The CV is still a floppy BOF heavy sedan. Upgrading the suspension on them is like sticking a silencer on a revolver.....
    And once again, a large (mid-sized by '60s standards) American car is underrated.
    How do you know the handling of Crown Vics if you never drove one?
    One owner says, "I have yet to find the limits of the car's handling (not for a lack of tying)." He owns a '99 CV which he bought at a police auction. Review can be found here:
    http://www.carsurvey.org/viewcomments_review_67417.html

Interesting that I've never heard of police complaining about the handling or that I never see on TV video of police cars running off the road due to "floppy" handling.
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

Interesting that I've never heard of police complaining about the handling or that I never see on TV video of police cars running off the road due to "floppy" handling.
    You've obviously never watched 2Fast 2Furious, or the Blues Brothers...

I was talking about when you push the steering wheel through your hands to turn corners. In a chase, a Civic would kick the crap out of any CV.

And who knows- stick a couple of ram bars on the front, get 'heavy duty suspension' () and then the cops can enjoy catching more criminals...

And as for shoving them in the back- who gives a shit about how well they fit? They're cons. You want them comfortable?

And 22mpg is ridiculous. In Britain we have cars that can achieve 53mpg ona 'highway' and still get from 0-60 in 9.4 secs (Honda Accord iCDTi, FYI...).
    A police radio can "outhandle" any Civic. That is why the police use big, comfortable, smooth-riding cars- they don't need a toy-sized sports car to chase suspects- they radio ahead and other units form road blocks and/or set up spike strips.

Heavy duty supension means larger and stiffer shock absorbers, stiffer springs for a higher sprung/unsprung weight, thicker anti-sway bars and wider rims and larger cross-section tires.

It's the cops who have to shove the criminals into the back seat- and would you want to touch a slimeball criminal more than necessary?

22 mpg is quite good for a V-8 in a 4,000+ lb, 6-passenger car. Yes, they could drive a 53 mpg Honda (with its skimpy seats and stiff ride) but remember, officers are in their cars for 8, 10, 12 hours and sitting in a subcompact for that long would be torture!

You've obviously never watched 2Fast 2Furious, or the Blues Brothers...
    Obviously, they run off the road on purpose... because the script calls for it.
    I'm talking about REAL police chases.

A police radio can "outhandle" any Civic. That is why the police use big, comfortable, smooth-riding cars- they don't need a toy-sized sports car to chase suspects- they radio ahead and other units form road blocks and/or set up spike strips.

Heavy duty supension means larger and stiffer shock absorbers, stiffer springs for a higher sprung/unsprung weight, thicker anti-sway bars and wider rims and larger cross-section tires.

It's the cops who have to shove the criminals into the back seat- and would you want to touch a slimeball criminal more than necessary?

22 mpg is quite good for a V-8 in a 4,000+ lb, 6-passenger car. Yes, they could drive a 53 mpg Honda (with its skimpy seats and stiff ride) but remember, officers are in their cars for 8, 10, 12 hours and sitting in a subcompact for that long would be torture!
    Roadblock point taken.

And the Accord is pretty comfy... but if it's the formula that works for you Yanks, then keep it

The Accord has recently become popular over here, and the Omega and V70 are long staples of the British police force- both comfortable, both return 30+ mpg in a cruising situation, and are able to chase if necessary.

Same concept, different country

And the Accord is pretty comfy... but if it's the formula that works for you Yanks, then keep it
    Comfy is a relative term. I would guess that the police out here are used to a police vehicle with a large, plush seat and if they were forced to drive a much smaller car with thin seats, they wouldn't exactly like it.

As you said, the formula works out here and has for many decades, so we will keep it.

the crown vic would be a lot more solid in a police chase too, if the felon tries to get violent
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey
    the crown vic would be a lot more solid in a police chase too, if the felon tries to get violent
    Partly why I backed down after thinking about it...

the crown vic's are also expendable... they have so many of them if they crash one they have 5 more to replace it
    The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.
    -Rita Mae Brown-

And once again, a large (mid-sized by '60s standards) American car is underrated.
    How do you know the handling of Crown Vics if you never drove one?
    One owner says, "I have yet to find the limits of the car's handling (not for a lack of tying)." He owns a '99 CV which he bought at a police auction. Review can be found here:
    http://www.carsurvey.org/viewcomments_review_67417.html

You seem to be under the impression the cops want CV's for their abilities and "superior" construction. The simple fact is theyre cheap and can be abused. Ford can keep making them and sell them to the cops for $10K each and probably still make profit as the use by date on the car is 20 years gone. If Chrysler could affordably hand out Charger's at the same price and rate that Ford do CV's, do you think the CV would still be in use?
    I am the Stig

Thread Information