Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Twin Turbo Or Big Single????

i was thinking about using one of those HDi engines in my locost but after some research on a constant combustion cylinder i when for a diffrent option

Quote Originally Posted by Jecht Black View Post
    i was thinking about using one of those HDi engines in my locost but after some research on a constant combustion cylinder i when for a diffrent option
    I am afraid I lost you there...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

turbine engines produce a constant combustion. eg 4 stroke 1 power stroke,
    rotary 3 power strokes, turbine constant power stroke

turbine engines produce a constant combustion. eg 4 stroke 1 power stroke,
    rotary 3 power strokes, turbine constant power stroke
    all very well, but what on earth is a locost????
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

lotus 7 replica. mine weighs 356kg at the moment. its kind of like a street legal f1 car with a four banger
    i lost to one last year and since then i sold my car and started building one
    there fast and corner better than and road car

lotus 7 replica. mine weighs 356kg at the moment. its kind of like a street legal f1 car with a four banger
    then you should get in touch with LotusLocost here in the forum, he also raced one, until replacing it with an Alfa GTA....and I agree that an HDi engine is not the first thing I woudl think off for putting in the front of that one...

i have already setup 3 of my 6 turbine engines but im in need of 3 more turbos which is how i came to this site in the first place. its not too bad but the torque is winding up the input shaft in my gearbox. if it doent run well on the trace at least it would make a decent drag car

i have already setup 3 of my 6 turbine engines but im in need of 3 more turbos which is how i came to this site in the first place. its not too bad but the torque is winding up the input shaft in my gearbox. if it doent run well on the trace at least it would make a decent drag car
    now let me get this straight because I am again having difficulties to precisely follow you. What you are doing (have done) is putting a gas turbine engine in a Lotus 7 right?
    So why would you need 6? and why six turbos?

Hi Jecht Black!

Interesting project you got there!
    So let me clear some points that I am a bit unclear on:

Are you building a seven with a gas turbine engine?
    How did you manage to get it down to 356 kgs? No engine in it yet?

As Henk4 said I have raced some years in a seven, and I know how much fun they can be! Mine has a Lotus Twin Cam engine producing around 175-180 hp. Dry weight of mine is about 550 kgs. Heavy in comparison to yours..!

We all would love to see some photos of your project!

it kind of works the same way as using a 6 cylinder engine its because of the rotational ballencing force on the car it gets really complex and i had to use my brother whos an engineer to work out the physics of it and also the more cylinders the more power and torque.
    each turbine is based on a turbo and a cylinder conecting the compressor and exhaust turbines together look on google for home made turbine and you should be able to find some info
    and instead of gas im using diesel for better combustion.
    equipt with afterburners

it kind of works the same way as using a 6 cylinder engine its because of the rotational ballencing force on the car it gets really complex and i had to use my brother whos an engineer to work out the physics of it and also the more cylinders the more power and torque.
    each turbine is based on a turbo and a cylinder conecting the compressor and exhaust turbines together look on google for home made turbine and you should be able to find some info
    and instead of gas im using diesel for better combustion.
    equipt with afterburners
    Looks interesting.

Now show us some pictures

i will get some after the weekend because its at my work
    currently waiting for a new clutch

i will get some after the weekend because its at my work
    currently waiting for a new clutch
    A few points:

What kind of turbocharger are you using to make your jet engine/gas turbine?

They must be pretty big otherwise you won't get much power, also is each turbo a seperate single stage gas turbine or have you connected any of them to get multiple stages?

If I understand correctly you will have 6 seperate gas turbines made from turbochargers? How do you get power from the turbines and how do you combine the power of all 6 to a single output?

It seems that you are using the mechanical power produced by the turbines yet you say you have afterburners? that doesn't make sense unless you are harnessing both mechanical power and the thrust produced?

Can't wait for pictures...
    Power, whether measured as HP, PS, or KW is what accelerates cars and gets it up to top speed. Power also determines how far you take a wall when you hit it
    Engine torque is an illusion.

Quote Originally Posted by dudemaaan View Post
    i do not know the best mod for your Liberty, that is all in a matter of opinion and can range from a new sound system to a complete engine swap.

Prodrive builds race cars especially for rally racing. Just because a company uses somthing on a high performance car thats technically legal on the street does not meant the parts will hold up. If a major manufacturer comes up with an antilag system that they use on their cars ill be more inclined to believe that they came up with a way to make it reliable. But at this point i know that having the combustion process take place inside your turbo is not healthy for it. Personally i dont want to replace my turbo every 3 weeks or 3 months, or even 3 years because it was cooked. Antilag systems are expensive, and here in the united states are not legal anyways.

I didnt say no mustang ever can reach 180 mph, what i said is the story by the way it was told sounded fishy. Without actually doing the math comparing high gear ratio, final ratio + tire sizes and knowing redline it would be hard to say what his top speed would be. But mustangs dont rev extremely high, and they arent the most aerodynamic. His final ratio seemed high enough for the top speed, but a high ratio also means lower acceleration requiring more HP. Most all the hot mustangs around town pushing in the 400HP range would run like hell until about 140mph at which point they started slowing down at an exponential rate. and their gearing wasnt near that high. So for him to say it was still pulling like mofo at 180...sounds like a big fish story to me.

Is Lancia even still alive to disagree with me? That looks like an old thing. While im sure some cars have utilized a system that works, i still maintain that its impractical. One for the cost and 2 for the fact that you can obtain the same thing with doing one or the other and if u want more power u turn up the boost. Thats like getting an extra fan to blow on u cause your hot, when u didnt even turn the original fan on high. Why go to the trouble? You will only be able to tolerate so much wind anyways. Similarly the engine will only take so much boost. Though i do find things like that interesting and makes me curious what benifits and drawbacks there are. Theoretically with a roots blower and a fairly large turbo, u would have more torque and probably less lag as the turbo would spool quicker with the increase in exhaust, allowing u to run a larger turbo to begin with. The problem is things like this dont always work the same in practice, the blower may actually become a restriction for the turbo as turbos can flow more air. It would be like trying to put a high flowing fan behind a lower flowing fan. u will still get air either way, but the smaller fan would not be able to keep up and would be a restriction. Unless it instead of using a roots blower u use a centrifical blower with some sort of Y pipe with a flap and a clutch on the blower to stop it from builidng boost when the turbo kicked in. i dont know, its all rather complicated trying to imagine all the variables that would come into play when designing a system like this.

100% true without forgeting the extra weight the car will carry and these kind of systems need calculation u cant do it by ur self
    for an i4 its just waste of time and money
    unless its a track car if u want no lag and some power use supercharger
    more power small turbo
    anthor thing most i4 have hardly enough space for 1 turbo and intercooler
    most of the time the radiator should be changed to a slimmer one
    so keep the twin stuff to v engines

Thread Information