Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Twin Turbo Or Big Single????

Originally posted by r34_296kw
    clever thing is that when u push da pedal rite down it activates the NOS, stupid thing is that there might be a "accidental discharge and a surge of power"
    You should not have an accidental discharge, the system still needs to be armed, its not armed just because the bottle valves are open ... or do you know nothing about nitrous systems?

twin turbos

i think our friend R34 has previous experience with "accidental discharge"
    UCP's Most Hardcore Burro!

Being human explains everything but excuses nothing

Quote Originally Posted by WasteG8
    but the two smaller turbos wont be able to produce alot of boost, maybe like 10 psi at the most.
    ???? i pushed 14psi on a small ass single turbo.

a wee bit late for this thread
    Last edited by mooseTSi; 03-07-2004 at 07:18 PM.

but the two smaller turbos wont be able to produce alot of boost, maybe like 10 psi at the most.
    Why in the world do you think this? There are twin turbo kits for the Skyline and Supra which have turbos capable of holding over 30 psi each. Most of the good tuning companies, like Trust, APEXi and Blitz to name a few, have these products on offer. In terms of maximum power you wont go past twin turbo.
    That depends on what your definition of the word 'is' is - US President Bill Clinton

the common mosconception here is the mixing of flow and pressure, shure the smaller turbo could push 15-20psi but a turbo twice as big at the same pressure would produce more power, the larger turbo flows more air and will be more efficient at these pressures, raising the boost that high on a smaller turbo usully set around 7-10psi would result in higher turbo outlet temps increasing likelyness for detonation and cause the turbo to be overworked leading to premature turbo failure
    UCP's Most Hardcore Burro!

Being human explains everything but excuses nothing

Quote Originally Posted by megotmea7
    the common mosconception here is the mixing of flow and pressure, shure the smaller turbo could push 15-20psi but a turbo twice as big at the same pressure would produce more power, the larger turbo flows more air and will be more efficient at these pressures, raising the boost that high on a smaller turbo usully set around 7-10psi would result in higher turbo outlet temps increasing likelyness for detonation and cause the turbo to be overworked leading to premature turbo failure
    Yeah well that makes sense. Only, I don't know what this word means: "mosconception"
    Probably the only UCP member without a car D:

lol

Quote Originally Posted by Gabman
    Yeah well that makes sense. Only, I don't know what this word means: "mosconception"
    prob. misconception* when people think some thing which is wrong...
    Last edited by TWR_XJR; 03-09-2004 at 10:30 AM.

Blower vs turbo

have any of you guys got any experience with superchargers?

just wondering, my opinion is that they are superior in many ways etc. than turbos, ie no lag, flat torque curve, run cooler, power from tick over

i havent really got any experience with turbo so donno if they actually are good lol ...
    Last edited by TWR_XJR; 03-09-2004 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabman
    I am going to give it a definition. It is a term used to describe a person who finds it amusing to pick on the insignificant typos of people who have a clue and are trying to inform the clueless, yet can contribute nothing intelligent themselves. Also see asshole.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

lol a supercharger? A supercharger cant sompare to the advantages of a turbo, the turbo takes gas you essentially throwing away and turns it into power. The supercharger even though it has a flat torque curve and no turbo lag adds another pully into the mix making it less efficient. Also if your worried about turbo lag add nitrous to the mix.

The point I was making megotmea is that some of these 'big single vs small twins' arguments don't take into account that some of the 'small twins' aren't really small at all. Many of them flow around 600 ps per turbo, and that is not a small turbo. Also the kits I mentioned are designed for extremely high power delivery, with enormous intercoolers, water sprays etc. to lower charge temps and stronger internals to withstand the stress placed on the motor by such extreme power.
    That depends on what your definition of the word 'is' is - US President Bill Clinton

I know this is an old post, but I just noticed it and had some question regarding similar stuff...
    What about putting two sets of sequential turbos in parallel? And if there is any existing car using this set up? I can guess the cost for having 4 turbos (and all other stuff required to make the car run nicely) would be quite a number, so it is probably better off to spend the money to get a car with more power stock.

Bugatti EB Veyron has 4 turbos AFAIR.
    Probably the only UCP member without a car D:

Bugatti has built cars with 4 turbos before. The EB 110 had 4 small turbos mated to a 12 cylinder 3.7 litre engine. It was very fast and well engineered...a pity nobody bought it.

Thread Information