Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mazda RX-8 2003-2012

Mazda RX-8 2003-2012

The Mazda RX-8 was a sports car manufactured by Mazda Motor Corporation. It first appeared in 2001 at the North American International Auto Show. It is the successor to the RX-7 and, like its predecessors in the RX range, it is powered by a Wankel engine. The RX-8 began North American sales in the 2004 model year.

Mazda announced on August 23, 2011, that RX-8 will be discontinued from production citing the 2011 model as the last line of production. The RX-8 was removed from the European market in 2010 after the car failed to meet emissions standards.

Without the volume sales from Europe coupled with rising Yen prices, Mazda could not justify the continued sale of the RX-8 in other markets.

Development and design
    Development of the RX-8 can be traced as far back as the 1995 Mazda RX-01 concept car, which featured an early iteration of the 13B-MSP engine. Naturally aspirated with side exhaust ports, this engine produced 210 hp (160 kW). Because of Mazda's financial state at the time and the growing market interest in SUVs, the RX-01 did not see further development or production. However, a "skunkworks project" engineering team within Mazda kept the development of the 13B-MSP alive using MX-5 Miata chassis, eventually catching the attention of management, which at this time had come under heavy influence from Ford. Development of the 13B-MSP advanced and eventually led to the RENESIS name debuting along with the RX-EVOLV concept car which began to bear semblance to the production RX-8 with the "freestyle" rear suicide doors. Styling was developed, in Mazda tradition, by competition between its design studios in Japan, the US, and Europe. The lead designer was Ikuo Maeda, the son of Matasaburo Maeda (the lead designer on the original Mazda RX-7). The project obtained official approval from management, and eventually the RX-8 concept car (design/engineering model) was produced and shown in 2001, closer resembling the production version. A near-production "reference exhibit" RX-8 was shown shortly thereafter at the 2001 Tokyo Motor Show, pending final approval for production. Production RX-8 closely resembles this vehicle save for minor trim details, and "Job 1" began in February 2003 at Mazda's Hiroshima plant in Japan.

The RX-8 was designed as a front mid-engine, rear-wheel drive four-seat four-door coupι. The car has near 50:50 front-rear weight distribution and a low polar moment of inertia, achieved by mounting the engine behind the front axle and the fuel tank ahead of the rear axle. The front suspension uses double wishbones and the rear is multi-link. Weight is trimmed through the use of materials such as aluminium and plastic for several body panels. The rest of the body is steel, except for the plastic front and rear bumpers. The manual gearbox model uses a carbon fiber composite driveshaft to reduce the rotational mass (moment of inertia) connected to the engine. At the heart of the Mazda RX-8 is its high-revving, 1.3-liter rotary engine.Power is sent to the rear wheels through a Torsen limited slip differential for improved handling. While it's not quite in the same league as the last RX-7 in terms of raw performance, the RX-8 is considered its successor as Mazda's rotary engine sports car. Its layout and clever engineering, along with typical Mazda suspension tuning, have endowed it with excellent driving dynamics which have garnered much praise and numerous awards. It has also proved popular in Japan among car enthusiasts as well as aftermarket equipment manufacturers and professional tuners.

A prominent feature of the RX-8 is a pair of rear-hinged "freestyle" doors (similar to suicide doors) to provide easier access to the rear seats. The RX-8 has no B-pillar between the front and rear doors, but the leading edge of the rear door acts as a "virtual pillar" to maintain structural rigidity. Because of the overlapping design, the rear doors can be opened only when the front doors are open. Although by no means expansive, the RX-8's cabin was designed to allow enough room to house four adults, making it a genuine 4-seater rather than a 2+2.

The RX-8 was sold on export markets including Europe, whereas the RX-7 had been withdrawn from these markets after 1996 due to falling sales and thereafter only sold in Japan.

info from wikipedia.org
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Duell; 01-27-2015 at 12:49 AM.
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

Mazda RX-8 #2

Mazda RX-8 #3

Mazda RX-8 #4

Mazda RX-8 #5

Mazda RX-8 #6

Mazda RX-8 #7

Mazda RX-8 Record Run

(from Mazda Press Release) It is midnight. There is complete silence on the track and the cold damp darkness has an inky-black density.

Suddenly the night is sliced open by a pair of electric blue lights that glare down the straight and head towards the start-finish mark. The silence is absolute.

The lights draw nearer now, hurtling ahead, and the stillness is finally ripped apart by the wail of a Mazda RX-8 at full chat, blasting its way through the night-time air at over 140mph as it flies down the straight and on towards the next corner.

All eyes flick immediately from the glowing red tail-lights of the swiftly disappearing car to a flickering television screen on the trackside that displays the Mazda RX-8's statistics – actual speed, lap time, lap number and average speed. The engineers, team managers and other drivers silently punch the air. Mazda is on its way to setting a new world record.

Well, not just one – make that 40 FIA-recognised world speed records. At the beginning of this month a 14-strong team of motoring journalists from 11 European countries, as well as Formula Woman champion Natasha Firman, put two Mazda RX-8s through the most gruelling of endurance tests – 24 hours of non-stop maximum speed around the 7.6mile-long banked circuit at Papenburg test facility, near Hamburg in the north of Germany.

Under the auspices of the FIA, motorsport's official governing body, the German motorsport federation DMSB, selected two Mazda RX-8s for the event. The first was a standard road car and would compete in Category B for standard production cars. The other entrant was one of the cars used in this year's successful Formula Woman all-woman race series, competing in Category A for special vehicles.

Both cars were fitted with a bespoke racing seat, a full roll cage and fire extinguishers – all mandatory requisites for competition racing – but their mechanics were left untouched. The FIA even sealed the engine and gearbox to ensure its mass-produced authenticity. The race team was also supported by tyre manufacturer Kumho which supplied dry and wet weather tyres for the event, and German fuel supplier Aral provided on-site refuelling for the pair of Mazda RX-8s.

The cars started their ordeal at 12:20pm on Saturday 3 October and, pausing only to refuel and change drivers, were pushed to their limits to create 40 new endurance records for naturally aspirated rotary-powered cars.

Under the hawk-like eyes of Shoji Tokuda, Mazda Motor Europe's chief engineer who tended to the cars' every needs throughout the 24 hour period, the pair of RX-8s racked up respective average speeds of 132.250mph in the Group A section, and 134.174mph in Group B, as well as an array of other time and distance records (see accompanying tables).

The event also underlines the bulletproof reliability of the Mazda RX-8. Each car covered a total of 3,174 miles during the 24hour period without skipping a single revolution of their award-winning RENESIS twin-rotary engine. Impressive.

The rest of the car was just as fault free – apart from a snapped boot release cable that caused mass consternation in the pits because it meant one of the cars would be unable to refuel. But a bit of inspirational handy work with a mallet and a length of new cabling soon sorted the problem.

These records better those set by Johnny Herbert, Bertrand Gachot and Volker Weidler under race conditions during the 1991 Le Mans 24-hour endurance race. Their ferocious 700bhp Mazda 787B racecar lapped the famous French circuit at an average speed of 127.1mph.

But it’s not just about sitting in a car and driving at top speed around a big bowl. Papenburg's track is more lozenge-shaped – two long straights joined by a pair of sweeping, steeply banked curves at each end.

Despite driving flat out in sixth gear to maintain maximum speed, further precious seconds can be shaved off a single lap simply by positioning the car with millimetric accuracy into the entry of the corner and slingshotting it out the exit. Now, a second here and there on a lap may not sound much, but over 415 laps, that adds up to a lot of saved time – and higher speeds.

Driver change-over times were also crucial – witness the flurry of activity when one of the cars came in to collect a new driver. The outgoing driver has to enter the pit area as quickly and safely as possible, position the car for refuelling, kill the engine, release himself from the four-point harness and then climb out. While the new driver gets strapped in, the car is refuelled, the oil level and tyre pressures are painstakingly checked, the headlamps and windscreen are cleaned and then the go paddle is flashed up and the race against time starts again. Throughout the entire race every move on either car was adjudicated by an FIA official to ensure the attempt met their stringent qualifications.

It's through the long dark night that the drivers really need to be at the top of their game – as Formula Woman ace Natasha Firman explains: "It's a lot easier when it's light because you can pick up your turning reference points and you have a sense of what's around you. At night though, all you have is what the headlamps pick up. It makes it difficult to focus on the corner ahead when you can't see it. And," she admits, "it can feel quite lonely out there because you feel really isolated from the action."

Nor does it help when it starts to rain – just after midnight the skies opened, releasing a cold and persistent downpour. A combination of lights and flags brought the cars into the pits for a quick tyre change, the Kumho engineers swiftly lowering the car's tyre pressure to reduce the chance of aquaplaning. But fortune was smiling on the Mazda team because the rain lasted no longer than an hour and the cars were soon back up to full pace.

And they maintained this v-max speed for a full 24 hours, crossing the line just after noon on Sunday 3rd October, with Shoji Tokuda enthusiastically waving the chequered flag. "There's no tougher test than this," he said. "We can't think of a better example of the reliability, strength and power of the Mazda RX-8's RENESIS engine than a round-the-clock race against time."

Price:
    -$26,680 Production

Mazda RX-8 Record Run #1:

Quote Originally Posted by McLareN
    These records better those set by Johnny Herbert, Bertrand Gachot and Volker Weidler under race conditions during the 1991 Le Mans 24-hour endurance race. Their ferocious 700bhp Mazda 787B racecar lapped the famous French circuit at an average speed of 127.1mph.

But it’s not just about sitting in a car and driving at top speed around a big bowl. Papenburg's track is more lozenge-shaped – two long straights joined by a pair of sweeping, steeply banked curves at each end.
    ha-ha-ha-ha-

What kind of journo noob wrote that POS !!!!

oooh, look we went faster on a banked oval than hte 787 did on a race track with slow speed corners, chicanes and no camber ( sand some off camber )

AAARGH, stupid reporting just pisses me off !!!!!!
    Some kid somwehere will believe that cr@p and we'll find it getting quoted in a few months time to show how the RX-8 is faster than the Le Mans car

Also, I've read it twice, it doesn't make it clear WHAT record they've taken.
    SO, I had a quick look at the FIA record classifications and guess what -- there is a SEPERATE record class for rotary engines. So no great surprise that Mazda wins THAT one then
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 10-21-2004 at 04:06 PM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

bump for carweb
    ...Utah! Get me two...

Mazda RX-8 #8

Mazda RX-8 #9

My dad was thinking of buying that car but we turned it down. to me the front grille makes the car look like its smiling like a demented person im glad we turned it down.
    Don't bother me, I'm probably working while posting...

UCP's biggest...oh man...i got nothin'

Mazda RX-8 #10

Mazda RX-8 #11

Thread Information