Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: mr2 Engine swap recommendations

it doesn't matter about the age of the thread, if it is bumped with relevant info etc etc, which in this case it was
    i know of another V6 MR-2 locally and will find pics tonight to upload here.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

WHat I meant was, here I am posting info about Brad Bedell, etc., and it was already in this same thread on page 1 and 2

I am amazed at what people do to engines and cars. I will continue to maintain, based on my experience, that power and torque is only half the story, if the purpose of building these exotic cars is to run them hard on a track. I would assume that by default, most of these egine swaps are for drag races. A drag race is a world away from a real track race. I know because I am involved with both---different skills and equipment requirement.

I flog V-8s with much more power than my G-35 coupe, on a track. In fact, on a track, you want an NA car and not a turboed or Supercharged car---less stuff to break, less weight, and better handling charcteristics. Most are not aware that a highly tuned NA car is capabale of flogging a supercharged or turboed car on a track with less straight ways, but generally not on a drag strip. I know it sounds odd, but that has been my experience so far.

After swapping these engines, will the car's frame be able to handle the forces during high speed turns and twists on the track?? Will the axles hold up on a track without breaking? How will the engine block and engine mount handle sudden decceleration and sudden acceleration as the car maneuvers the twists and turns on the track??? If it is a manual transmission, how is the clutch, relative to the transmission design, going to handle the new found torque it now has to handle (mind you, torque is what kills clutches, and not horsepower)??. What about the additional heat being generated by the turbo and supercharger as the race continues????

For a drag race, the only important consideration is the engine, so it seems. For track purposes, everything on that car is important. There is just so much more issues to deal with if these cars are being designed for track purposes than if they are designed for drag purposes. I will continue to use my NA v-6 ride to flog V-8s or cars with turbos and superchargers. Nuff said!
    Last edited by G35COUPE; 07-24-2009 at 07:24 AM.

G35Coupe, Spot on, I couldn't agree more!

here's the V6 one i'm thinking of. it's a 3.0L quadcam V6 of some toyota desgin.
    i know there is a guy looking for the V6 out of the TRD aurion. curious as to how much the N/A one wieghs, as the supercharged one seems like a quick death haha
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

That looks like it might be a 3VZ-FE out of the camry

I think an LS-1 would be a perfect fit!
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

LS-1 = too long. I have measured it. It would require massive cutting and a new tube subframe be fabricated for the whole structure in the back of the car.

Any engine longer than 21 inches from bellhousing interface to crank pulley requires cutting. THe Northstar is only 23" and requires some cutting and requires a shorter (actually narrower) transaxle to work, as the stock MR2 transaxle is 16" wide. FOr comparison, the 3S-GTE is 20" from bellhousing face to crank pulley. = 36" overall length (width when mounted in the car).

THe northstar + GM 6 speed is 37" and requires a minor amont of cutting.

An LS-1 would end up with the crank pulley right where the right hub needs to be. THis is true for all toyota V8's (which is why I am not using the 1UZ-FE) most domestic V8's (except Northstar), and most other V8's. THe only other exception I have found is the Audi V8's like the 3.6 PT and the 4.2 ABZ. HOwever, the Audi V8's have other problems as shown on the videos on my site.

Last edited by cbulen; 11-21-2010 at 10:46 AM. Reason: added more info, correction

this is probably a really really stupid question. I have for the past wile been looking for a project car and i have found a mr2 that needs new rings but its the economy version engine so im planning to swap it out if i get this car for a project anyways i found a really good deal on a VG30DETT and im wondering if there is any way to swap that motor in? I have looked on the web for this with no results probably because it wont work but I just want to know before i try something like that.
    thanks

measure your engine bay and measure the engine! i don't think it will work though, but i base that on impressions. imo stick with established swaps, being different can be costly and not worth the hassle!

If you check the MR2 forums like MR2OC.com and MR2board.com or TwoBrutal (in the UK), you will find many threads on doing a Toyota V6 swap, such as the 1MZ-FE found in the Camry or Lexus, or the 3VZ, or even a 5VZ (tacoma motor). These swaps all are straight forward because all of these engines bolt up to the MR2 or Camry/Lexus transaxle. In the MR2, 3 of the motor mounts are attached to the trans. The front, the rear, and the driver's (left side USA) mounts are all on the trans. Only the passenger (right) side is on the end of the engine. In all of the above mentioned V6 swaps, you have to have a bracket fabricated (or do it yourself). I think some of the V6 guys offer a bracket for sale.

If you want to do any other engine like your Nissan V6 you mentioned, or like me, a V8, you have to find a front wheel drive transaxle that can bolt up to the V6, or have an adaptor machined, or find an already made adaptor, then figure out the clutch and flywheel, and also make sure the (right) axle that runs along side of the block will clear the engine block. Many of the details you have to figure out are pretty much the same as my project, so you can check out my build diary for details (its free).

Measuring the engine is good advice, but you also need to measure the transaxle that you will be using as well.

You could have an adaptor made that mates the Nissan to the toyota trans. THis would get you 3 of 4 motor mounts, and no problems with the shifter cables/linkage.

THen you only have to determine if the engine + adaptor will fit in the available space. As I recall, on a Gen2 MR2, the distance from the bellhousing face (where it meets the block) to the right side chassis/body psuedo frame is 20.75~21 inches. That means your V6 must be about 18-19.5 inches from the bellhousing mating surface (rear of the block) to the front of the crank pulley. You have to allow at least .5 inches for an adaptor plate. If the pulley screw protrudes beyond that, you should include that, but its not a deal killer if it does, as a hole can be put in the chassis to clear it.

Last edited by cbulen; 11-21-2010 at 11:16 AM. Reason: correction

Oh yeah, since the engine you mention is a DOHC, you should also measure the width of the engine (from head to head, or header to header if they stick out), and compare to the MR2 engine bay. The engine may or may not be centered in the bay, depending on what trans you use, and how you make your motor mounts. IN my case, I moved the engine quite a bit more forward than compared to a stock MR2, or a V6 swap MR2 (both use the stock trans and motor mounts). I fabbed my own motor mounts.

is the 2ZZ no good ?

surely they would be a step up from the 4age

Veyron Swap

/endthread
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

How dificult is it to drop in a 3SGE (3L) into a second gen car? I was thinking about doing the same thing with a bigger badder motor but I'm thinking about keeping it "in the family". It has the 5SFE (2.2L) but it has a spun crank bearing and I found a good deal on the 3SGE. I've heard it bolts right in but haven't found someone to confirm. What have you guys heard?

Thread Information