Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: mr2 Engine swap recommendations

It should be fairly easy as it bolts in, but it depends on if you want to keep your stock trans.

3S-GE is a normally aspirated variant of the 3S-GTE (hence the "T" in the engine code, a common thing Toyota does). I believe it is known as the "Beams" motor.

3S-GTE was offered in USA and JDM (in several generations depending on yar and which market it was used in). 3S-GE was offered JDM only. It has less power than the 3S-GTE, but more than the 5S-FE (base engine in the MR2, an engine found in the Camry during the same period).

The 3S family, and the 5S both have the same engine bolt pattern (to the trans). The trans that came with the 5S, called the S54 transaxle is weaker than the trans that came with the 3S-GTE (called the E153 transaxle) and has smaller weaker axles. So you have to figure out which trans you want to use. The E153 axles also have an intermediate shaft with a support or carrier bearing. THe S54 does not use the intermediate shaft, and has unequal length axles. E153 can also have a limited slip diff. Note that the E153 was offered in several generations, the most recent being used in the Toyota Solara.

Since the 3S-GE was not offered USA, then you have to figure out if you will pass smog if you use this engine in your region. For example, in my area, I would not be able to pass smog, because the 3S-GE does not have some smog equipment.

What are your reasons for using the 3S-GE vs the more powerful and easier/cheaper to obtain USDM 3S-GTE?

The 3S-GTE also has more "overhead" for making power. For example, my own 93 MR2 turbo has a stock bottom end, valve train, and fuel system, and turbo. I am running more boost than stock, a MLS head gasket, exhaust upgrades, aftermarket clutch (stock flywheel), motor mount inserts (not available on the 5S-FE), GRReddy Intercooler, Apex'i Intake, TVIS mod where it opens at a slightly lower RPM and that is pretty much it. I am pushing 227 hp at the wheels (dyno'ed). A stock USDM MR2 pushes 160hp at the wheels. So with some pretty easy bolt ons, you can have a fairly quick car. I cannot beat a Evo MR with some upgrades (not sure what) in a drag, but I can beat most normal Evo's and WRX's, and keep up with stock WRX STi, and stock Evo MR. I need a bigger turbo!

Some MR2 guys swap in the JDM 3S-GTE from slightly later year (1994+ I think, aka 3rd generation) because it has more power than the USDM 3S-GTE of the same year, if you compare stock to stock. The JDM version makes 50 more hp.

Also, development continued on the 3S-GTE in japan beyond 1995 when TOyota stopped importing MR2 to the USA. JDM 3rd generation 3S-GTE have a ceramic turbine and different turbo (the CT20B), different exhaust, larger oil pan, different intake (deleting the troublesome TVIS of the 2nd gen 3S-GTE, the dual runniner intake, and the CT-26 "twin entry" turbo, which TOyota continued to use in the USA market in 1994 and 95). I think they eliminated the distributor, but not sure on that.

Please don't misunderstand. In 1994, 95, Toyota continued offering 2nd gen 3S-GTE to the USA, but in japan, they got the 3rd Generation 3S-GTE with the ceramic turbo, and other breathing upgrades.

Other MR2 guys feel the V6 swap is the way to go. You know that I like the V8 option. Paul Woods (Woodsport in the UK) is currently working on a V12 MR2 (mark2).

More info on the MR2 engine swaps: Engine swaps for the Toyota MR2 (other than V8) part 1

Recommend checking the MR2 specific forums. Lots of guys have done the 3S-GE swap, the JDM 3S-GTE, the V6 (many different engine choices).
    ------------------
    CBulen
    MR2 V8 4.6L Engine Swap (1990-1999 generation 2 Toyota MR2)
    V8 MR2 Engine Swap for the Toyota MR2 SW20 (1991-1999 MR2 Turbo): Project MV8R. How to Do a V8 MR2 Engine Swap.
    Last edited by cbulen; 01-16-2012 at 11:43 AM.

Thread Information