Thread: are the following cars street legal in the US and Europe?

are the following cars street legal in the US and Europe?

Radical Sr8
    Caparo T1

also i have been having this discussion with this guy on youtube who has been saying that the sr8 n-ring time was not offical because unlike the acr or the skyline there was no timer, and he keeps on saying it was timed by bystanders at the ring. I do know it is offical as, other wise why would the time be listed on the lap times, also if it was not offical it would say so and it doesnt. soooo is the time of 6:55 official or not?

Caparo T1 is a street car so it should be. Radical though... I think the SR8 is the track version of the SR3... not sure at all about that one.

I think either of them would have to assembled under kit-car rules to be street legal in the US.

I thought I remembered reading that the Caparo T1 was road legal in Europe but not in the US and then I found it:

"...at the moment legal only in Britain - the U.S. distributor, Chad Mann of Mann Motorsports in Atlanta, says it'll be track-only..."
    From Caparo T1 - First Drive - Driving Impressions - Motor Trend

There was a street package legalizing one of the Radicals for the US. Can't remember which one, though, but it was a license plate holder and some lights.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Near the middle of the middle of middle England.
    The Caparo is street legal in England only without the full canopy (to do with windscreen wiper laws), and the Radical is legal as long as you get an SVA (Single Vehicle Approval) for your own car, which is just a stringent test to see whether or not it complies with road saftey laws. You need to get them for most kit-cars or low volume cars.

As for the 'Ring time, only the Europeans don't call it official, they don't like being beaten by England for some reason, especially the Germans.
    Last edited by W.R.; 03-22-2009 at 02:43 AM.
    Buying a car and not driving it is like buying a meal and not eating it.

"Oh sh*t, we're going..25!!" - A dear friend of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by W.R. View Post
    ...You need to get them for most kit-cars or low volume cars...
    Every car in the UK has to have an SVA test to be able to drive on public roads, as far as I am aware.
    Just call me Tom

Please visit www.tomranson.com and make me feel loved.

The Caparo is street legal in England only without the full canopy (to do with windscreen wiper laws), and the Radical is legal as long as you get an SVA (Single Vehicle Approval) for your own car, which is just a stringent test to see whether or not it complies with road saftey laws. You need to get them for most kit-cars or low volume cars.
    SVA is NOT stringent at all compared to other country's regulations. I've prepared a few cars for it now and basically if it has no stuff sticking out, the wiring is done fine and it has lighting it will pass. The kitcars we've built were put through the SVA and not the Dutch test for a reason..Once they had the SVA it was easy to put em on a Dutch license without a test.

I know the sr3 is legal here and yeah you pretty much have to register it as a kit car but still its a car none the less, so the caparo isnt street legal here?! dam

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    SVA is NOT stringent at all compared to other country's regulations. I've prepared a few cars for it now and basically if it has no stuff sticking out, the wiring is done fine and it has lighting it will pass. The kitcars we've built were put through the SVA and not the Dutch test for a reason..Once they had the SVA it was easy to put em on a Dutch license without a test.
    With seeing this I just HAD to post a reply!

The SVA is stringent and MANY cars fail it time and time again. Your description of it makes it seem like you are telling porkies about preparing cars for it...

The SVA goes into full detail with height and spacing of lighting, driver/passenger compartment spacing/positioning, etc.

Even my Norwiegen friend says that it's a tough set of regs to follow!
    ' For the tenacious, no road is impassable '.

Most kit cars are assembled to pass the SVA and than afterwards modified to have all the usable things added without all the hassle

10 years ago the SVA was fairly easy, but now is a nightmare ... UNLESS you are putting a "stadnard" kit car through it as the designers have addressed 90% of the hard stuff !

If it's not a known kit car design then now you have to ahve a full engineers write-up on the strength/safety aspects.

As for the 'Ring time, only the Europeans don't call it official, they don't like being beaten by England for some reason, especially the Germans.
    the debatable difference between the Radical and the others (consider the ACR, ZR1 and GT-R aren't Europeans) is that it isn't a production car.
    I remember reading something about speed bumps too.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Thread Information