Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: ****ing McLaren F1

Abiut the best I've ever seen it put ExoticCarSite

BYW who's Dan Kennedy ??
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    BYW who's Dan Kennedy ??
    If I remember correctly, he owns three McLaren F1s. I could be wrong though, don't really remember when or where I read it.

EDIT: This is one of them, I think, a bit too orangy for me:
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame...php&carnum=349
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

a webmaster with a sense of humour, that is what I like to see

If thats a bit to orange, what about the F1 LM he owns..... lol. A lot of his McLaren F1 & F1 LM pictures can be found at TurnerMotorsport.com

"Matra et Alpine :About the best I've ever seen it put ExoticCarSite"

Thanks, its just I get so fed up peoples maturity on forums, and that kind of attitude frustrates me, esp when not giving any valid reasons behind their logic, otehr than the fact it rocks!. I was just venting some frustration, and I guess he coped some of it
    Web Publisher:
    1. ExoticCarSite.com
    2. Bugatti-Veyron-16-4.com

If We Have The Courage To Pursue Our Dreams, And Transform Our Vision Into Reality, We Invite Magic Into Our Lives - Race Resort Ascari

The Only Thing Necessary For The Triumph Of Evil Is For Good Men To Do Nothing - Edmund Burke

There Are No Speed Limits On The Road To Excellence - David W Johnston

If Good Men Do Nothing, Then That Is Evil Enough

wow, talk about opinionated.....(guy who started this thread) but yeah, this sounds like some ignorant fool who hears that ferraris are good, but doesnt let himself hear different. id have to agree with whoever said theyd take a lambo, pagani, or koineggsegg over the enzo. the enzo, as matra said, is a special rich boys toy, im not saying it isnt special or anything tho. it just isnt as fun to drive. for example, the carrera gt, costs almost half as much as the ferrari, and i remember a road&track survey, done by people who have driven these cars say the cgt was the funnest to drive, followed by the viper, then the lotus, then if i remember correctly the slr then s/cl65 amg. (i remember things ive read very well, so no, im not just thinking stuff up off the top of my head, if you want, you can go check what they said, please tell me if im wrong)
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

Quote Originally Posted by ExoticCarSite
    If thats a bit to orange, what about the F1 LM he owns..... lol. A lot of his McLaren F1 & F1 LM pictures can be found at TurnerMotorsport.com
    The orange on the outside is not a problem, actually orange is the McLaren original colour for those of us old or knowleagable enough to know of their 1960s and 1970s racers. It's the orange detailing that bothers me.

According to Matt I don't have a sense of humour, if the previous post contained something funny, that was purely by accident.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

McLaren put it in their own book that 108 chassis of F1 were ever made. 1 spare chassis, 5 prototypes for road car, 1 prototype for LM and 1 for GT...

I have seen both in the flesh... the F1 was my favorite, Still is. enzo a great car none the less, but it will not last 10 years as king of the hill as the McLaren did. it was way ahead of its time.

i have heard that that McLaren as well as doing check ups on their cars also does upgrades as they develop new techs. for example you can get a new aero package for your Mclaren, along with enginee tweaks. this means that mclarens are actually faster today than they were when first released.

GOD I LOVE THAT CAR
    Who killed the Electric Car?
    GO HABS GO!

Quote Originally Posted by milad_ferrari
    Buying a McLaren F1 is just waisting money.I think the Ferrari Enzo is the best car in the world and is faster than McLaren in acceleration and 1/4 miles and i think it looks much beter than McLaren,so why the **** did ****ing Martin Brundle`s choose the Mclaren F1 in ''Martin Brundle`s supercars DVD''i dont realy undrestand this ****ing Martin Brundle`s man.The last thing i want to say is that i think the Ferrari Enzo is the most exotic car in the world.

aroooo, aroooo super duper fanboy alert, must moderate, wait, i'm not a mod?......

Quote Originally Posted by Karrmann
    i'm not a mod?......
    That's OK, Karrmann, you just keep repeating that please

( sorry couldnt' resist )
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

For those of you who are interested, Mr Selldorfs F1 LM, has recently had some new pictures taken, but I don't know if they have been posted here or not. I told Dark Phenix about the link over MSN, but I don't think he posted them.

Link1- Supercars.net: http://speed.supercars.net/PitLane?v...ID=0&tID=11753
    Link2- SmugDug: http://dugmar.smugmug.com/gallery/71983/1
    Web Publisher:
    1. ExoticCarSite.com
    2. Bugatti-Veyron-16-4.com

If We Have The Courage To Pursue Our Dreams, And Transform Our Vision Into Reality, We Invite Magic Into Our Lives - Race Resort Ascari

The Only Thing Necessary For The Triumph Of Evil Is For Good Men To Do Nothing - Edmund Burke

There Are No Speed Limits On The Road To Excellence - David W Johnston

If Good Men Do Nothing, Then That Is Evil Enough

Quote Originally Posted by ExoticCarSite
    For those of you who are interested, Mr Selldorfs F1 LM, has recently had some new pictures taken, but I don't know if they have been posted here or not. I told Dark Phenix about the link over MSN, but I don't think he posted them.

Link1- Supercars.net: http://speed.supercars.net/PitLane?v...ID=0&tID=11753
    Link2- SmugDug: http://dugmar.smugmug.com/gallery/71983/1
    Very cool.

Doesn't he own a tuner company? He, that's just me; when I see people with nice cars, I say to myself "what does he do for a living" .
    The wind that blows in the Andes.

wow great pics...
    there is a funny one, campign with the wife kids and the mclaren.... what a life!!
    Who killed the Electric Car?
    GO HABS GO!

Quote Originally Posted by milad_ferrari
    Buying a McLaren F1 is just waisting money.I think the Ferrari Enzo is the best car in the world and is faster than McLaren in acceleration and 1/4 miles and i think it looks much beter than McLaren,so why the **** did ****ing Martin Brundle`s choose the Mclaren F1 in ''Martin Brundle`s supercars DVD''i dont realy undrestand this ****ing Martin Brundle`s man.The last thing i want to say is that i think the Ferrari Enzo is the most exotic car in the world.

whoa calm down fanboy

Threads like this one are just painful to read sometimes. As I skimmed through, I think the only facts presented which were 100% correct came from the person who linked to the Autocar test times of the F1 -vs- Enzo, where the F1 was shown to be faster than the Enzo. Everything else was either not close enough, or simply way off base. I'll try to clear some of it up.

To the original poster - do you have any idea how qualified Martin Brundle is to make the assessment he did about the F1 -vs- Enzo in the Supercars DVD? I won't detail his racing career here, but lets just say his experience best's that of Tiff Needel from 5th Gear, and certainly leagues better than the overwieght hack that is Jeremy Clarkson. How sad that Clarkson and company have to bring in the Stig to do their real performance driving on that show. Brundle is highly skilled behind the wheel of a car, and remember he was looking for a supercar car that could be used easily on the road and on the track. The Enzo doesn't offer much in the way of usability or comfort on the road, therefore it's not an all around package.

This doesn't mean you are wrong for liking the Enzo more, but you shouldn't criticize Brundle's opinion simply because it differs from your own.

Moving on:
    distress - It was not a tie between the two cars on the Supercars DVD. To quote Brundle: "So after a month long battle it comes down to these two. Amazingly, the Enzo is over a decade younger than the McLaren F1. I prefer the Ferrari's steering, brakes and dials, but everything else is better on this car (points to F1). It's so practical, it's sensational in every way. The McLaren F1 is still the King."

Seems like there was a clear winner to me. He certainly never used the word 'tie'.

= = = = = =

Sweeney921, dimlight, F1 Master, RacingManiac - Since you all addressed the total number of F1s made, and were all essentially incorrect, allow me to correct you.

There were 64 standard production road cars built, but they also built 5 prototypes of the road car for a total of 69. Saying that there is 64 is not so bad Sweeney, but then you had to follow it up and say there were a total of 125 cars, including the race versions, which is simply incorrect. Stating that there were 100 cars total would put you in line with the semi-official statement from McLaren Cars, but even that is incorrect. RacingManiac came the closest at 108, but the actual number including the spare chassis is 107. Here's the full breakdown.

5 - F1 road car prototypes (XP1 -> XP5) At least 3 of these cars still exist. Gordon Murray owns XP3, XP4 is with a customer in California, and XP5 is still in the hands of McLaren Cars

64 - Standard F1 production road cars (#001 -> #075) To explain the obvious gaps, some chassis numbers were either skipped over, or used for other variations of the F1

9 - 1995-spec F1 GTRs (GTR #01R -> GTR #09R)

1 - F1 LM prototype (XP1LM) This car is also still in McLaren Cars' hands.

5 - F1 LM production cars (LM1 -> LM5) The Brunei Royal Family owns 3, one is in Massachusetts, one is in Japan. Two of the LMs that went to the BRF were painted Black w/graphics and not the more familiar Historic 'Paypaya' Orange

9 - 1996-spec F1 GTRs (GTR #10R -> GTR #18R)

1 - F1 GT [longtail] prototype (56XPGT) The factory still has this car as well, though it has reportedly been offered for sale at £1,000,000 GBP

2 - F1 GT [longtail] production cars (54F1GT & 58F1GT)

10 - 1997-spec F1 GTR [longtail] (GTR #19R -> GTR #27R)

1 - Spare Chassis (101SP) Not a real F1, though it may have been used to rebuild one of the many which have been wrecked badly at the hands of inexperienced drivers over the years.

So add all those numbers up, and with the spare chassis you are at 107, or without it at 106. McLaren gets their more friendly '100' number by excluding the original 5 road car prototypes, and the F1 LM prototype - though they include the F1 GT prototype to get their magic number.

= = = = = =

ExoticCarSite - Don't I know you... - Maybe you have realized the error of your original statement, but it is not Dan Kennedy who owns the 3 F1s, it is indeed Frank Selldorff. In fact, Dan Kennedy does own an Enzo to park along side his F1, and even reported that when he raced the pair side by side, the Enzo lost that battle. To quote him directly: "Ps: I recently raced my Enzo & McLaren. F1 kicked it's ass"

Back to Mr Selldorff, let me clarify a few points. He doesn't own Turner Motorsports - that privilege is reserved for Will Turner. Mr Selldorff is one of their chief advisors though, and was also a team driver in thier Speed World Challenge Touring BMWs in 2002 & 2003 seasons. His three F1s are chassis #007 & #068, which are both F1 road cars. F1 #007 is a black car that sees frequent use, whereas #068 is silver and is one of the few remaining pristine examples, with only delivery mileage as it has never been registered. #068 is a prized posession, no doubt - but his final F1 - LM3 - one of the five customer LMs is truly spectacular. He claims the LM is like a totally different animal and very special.

Wouter Melissen - The car you've linked us to is Dan Kennedy's - it's chassis #038. As I noted above though, he only owns one McLaren F1.

I hope a few have found this post informative. I'm not here to make anyone look dumb - just make sure that the most accurate information is presented in regards to the F1. I don't check in on this forum all that often, but I'll try to check back later to see if I have sparked any additional comments/questions.

>8^)
    ER

Well, you got to realize the number has dropped since 1993 and then. Many race cars are gone, and many still race. Not to mention, there have been more than what we want to see of McLaren accidents.

Thread Information