Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Drivers Republic GT2 v GTR around the Nurburgring

Welcome Steve, and thanks, that sounds as objective as it can get.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    Welcome Steve, and thanks, that sounds as objective as it can get.
    indeed, very helpful. thanks and welcome.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

and isn't it comforting Mr. MC to read that GT2 and GTR did near identical lap-times at Silverstone? Come on guys from DR, of course Nissan must have cheated there too......
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Please, Pieter, don't drag the DR guys into MCs fantasy world.
    I appreciate the comments supplied, thanks guys, good of you to come in with real practical comments and clarification.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Please, Pieter, don't drag the DR guys into MCs fantasy world.
    I put it there just as an illustration of what we sometimes have to deal with...

Many thanks for the cogent read, Steve. I like both cars. Would love to have the opportunity to drive the 'Ring with either. Having driven a 997 (great car) and recently spent several hours testing in a Nissan GT-R I would guess the GT-R to be much easier to drive quickly in most conditions. I don't quite understand the false controversy.

As I suggested when posting the review about the GT-R, it's very impressive. I personally wouldn't want to live with it daily; given a choice a 997 would be more comfortable. But consider it's price, technology and confidence-inducing handling qualities I think I'd prefer the GT-R at a place as itimidating as that track in the Eiffel Mountains.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

What I am wondering is whether the GTR requires a completely different driving style to go really fast. A racing driver would be much more used to the specifics of the Porsche and he might be more confident with exploring the limits in it. Perhaps that is part of the reason why no one, as of yet, has come close to Suzuki's times. Steve maybe you and your driver can shed some lights on the specific style needed to drive a heavy four-wheel drive car really fast confidently. Or does it really take a Kamikaze driver to get those extra seconds.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Thank you Steve, for bringing some objectivity to MC's fantasy-land.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Superb post, Steve.

The R26.R sounds interesting. Is it really worth it?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    What I am wondering is whether the GTR requires a completely different driving style to go really fast. A racing driver would be much more used to the specifics of the Porsche and he might be more confident with exploring the limits in it. Perhaps that is part of the reason why no one, as of yet, has come close to Suzuki's times. Steve maybe you and your driver can shed some lights on the specific style needed to drive a heavy four-wheel drive car really fast confidently. Or does it really take a Kamikaze driver to get those extra seconds.
    i would have thought a racing driver could be used to the 911, but an everyday driver would get far more out of the GTR, comparatively
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    i would have thought a racing driver could be used to the 911, but an everyday driver would get far more out of the GTR, comparatively

To manouver a heavy AWD car I think there is a different skillset needed to carry momentum and pace around a track to a RWD sportscar - Its not as point and shoot as most people assume..
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Quote Originally Posted by whiteballz View Post
    To manouver a heavy AWD car I think there is a different skillset needed to carry momentum and pace around a track to a RWD sportscar - Its not as point and shoot as most people assume..
    That's pretty much what C&D found out when track testing the GT-R. At first, using more conventional driving methods, all they found was lackluster understeer. They likened it to a Honda Prelude. At this point, most test drivers would probably leave well enough alone, since the car's mechanical grip has been exceeded, on one level. But then they noted the car really came alive when it's thrown into turns rally-style, at which point the rear-drive bias could be used to point the car. You can see some of this in Suzuki's driving, particularly his entrance into the Karrussel: right before he enters the bowl, he saws hard at the wheel, jerking it left, before the car leaps down into the turn.

Couldn't help but notice that Harris had the GT-R's VDC in the "R" setting. This probably doesn't allow the kind of balls-out aggressive driving that Suzuki showed. Then again, with the Bridgestones' poor wet-weather ability, you can't take the same kind of liberties as you would in the dry.

DR have now published a comparison video between the two cars: GT-R v GT2 Nürburgring comparison video
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

I was not surprised monaroCountry made this thread. His blind hatred of the GT-R is amusing but frustrating as well.

Steve, your post was informative. Thank you for posting the comparison between the GT-R and the GT2.
    Last edited by john14; 11-28-2008 at 07:38 AM.
    "Take my swimming trunks, I won't need them." - Frank Costanza. "What does he want with your swimming trunks." - Estelle Costanza. "Why should they go to waste." - Frank Costanza - Seinfeld

would be interested on a comment about the use of the wipers on the GT-R at 2:45.
    Was their more moisture in the air ? Some drizzle ?? or is teh 911 aero better at keeping light rain off the windscreen
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Thread Information