Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: R35 GT-R V-Spec shows its face... and price

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    point, set, game.
    meaningless, but itīs actually game, set and match

Srsly thoī, I think itīs a little too early to call anything on the Spec. We really know nothing about it at this time except the new black paint is pretty, as is the finish on the exhaust tips. I even doubt those prices for brakes and paint and stuff, I think the writer has his currency converter very wrong.
    www.myspace.com/kasaky

Quote Originally Posted by mister_playboy View Post
    Mercedes-Benz still hasn't seen fit to build a transmission capable of harnessing the full force of their twin-turbo V12. Even the brand-new AMG SL65 Black Edition has the same ol' 738 lb-ft limit. The car is very impressive otherwise, and certainly looks great. Makes the SLR seem a bit lame, and is even more exclusive.
    torque is quite difficult to handle at that level for gears and shafts.
    all cars with so much torque have it limited, eve (seriously) tuned one or the Veyron. after all, I think it's already enough.
    from a technical point of view, it could be that, yes, they don't seem to be able to create a gearbox that can stand the torque...or, tbh, they don't care and don't need such a transmission.
    elaborating, the gearbox is a part that tends to be quite shared among a car maker's line-up, so creating one that can't stand so much torque would result in a over designed gearbox for all the other cars, and those would be quite a lot since we are talking about of very low figures for the V12 bi-turbo AMG and so on.
    and gearboxes are very difficult to design and even produce (and obviously expensive too), that's why almost all automakers buy their from external suppliers and rarely built them on their own.
    it's also a different matter because here we are considering detuned engines for the sake of the gearbox, while those overboost features are tuning running just for short times, or to see the problem properly, the car is almost always detuned for the sake of...perhaps the whole mechanics.
    so, BMW says the M5 has 500 bhp, but for an unknown reason the car runs with just 400 bhp if you don't press a button. the point is, in winter even 50 bhp can be too much, and for everyday safety even the base model of the 5 Series can kill you in a snap.
    so, why to detune? probably for reliability issues, since the owners would turn on the 500 bhp mode so few times the car could easily reach the end of the warranty period without major issues.
    that's bad.
    MB detuned directly, and doesn't tell you the engine can develop 1500 Nm but only 1100 Nm (iirc), so they are not kidding you like BMW does (among others).
    I prefer the MB's approach, even if those cars are overkill.

Quote Originally Posted by teatako View Post
    meaningless, but itīs actually game, set and match

Srsly thoī, I think itīs a little too early to call anything on the Spec. We really know nothing about it at this time except the new black paint is pretty, as is the finish on the exhaust tips. I even doubt those prices for brakes and paint and stuff, I think the writer has his currency converter very wrong.
    well, let's say we are discussing the unsure info we have
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

more interested in the 370Z, and if they make a sport version of that, to be honest.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

This is more of a collectors item than a GTR on steroids.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Well, folks, it's important to remember that the V-Spec was never a revolutionary upgrade, just some minor suspension & etc. upgrades.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering View Post
    Well, folks, it's important to remember that the V-Spec was never a revolutionary upgrade, just some minor suspension & etc. upgrades.
    But I think you can agree that this V-Spec model is underwhelming. I'm sure most expected a bit more from Nissan.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering View Post
    not for twice the price though
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

all i see is that it has uglyrims

Is it just me or does it seem as if all this GTR stuff is a bunch of marketing gone wild? Really... I mean, almost every auto magazine listed it as their Car of the Year (even EVO, I thought they would go Porsche again this year). Is it really that great?

I've seen it in action at the track once back in September. Everyone there was in awe and thought it was the coolest thing since... uh, sliced bread. I however, was more impressed by the tuned out 993 GT2, and some guys' Formula Renault, and the likes of other such autos at the track.

No doubt, it's a fine car. It just seems over publicized and over marketed (Veyron comes to mind). I'm thinking that soon this {car} will become the bastardized go-to example of every "awesome" car by would-be enthusiast's who try to make a case for something (Veyron comes to mind again). That's just my thought.

I agree entirely.
    Part of its popularity is no doubt due to its reputation as a giant killer, but at the same time it is just extremely hyped.
    Nissan did a pretty good job af creating low expectations by making it so fat, so testers drive it thinking it will be very slow and are extra amazed that it isn't.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by LTSmash View Post
    Is it just me or does it seem as if all this GTR stuff is a bunch of marketing gone wild? Really... I mean, almost every auto magazine listed it as their Car of the Year (even EVO, I thought they would go Porsche again this year). Is it really that great?

I've seen it in action at the track once back in September. Everyone there was in awe and thought it was the coolest thing since... uh, sliced bread. I however, was more impressed by the tuned out 993 GT2, and some guys' Formula Renault, and the likes of other such autos at the track.

No doubt, it's a fine car. It just seems over publicized and over marketed (Veyron comes to mind). I'm thinking that soon this {car} will become the bastardized go-to example of every "awesome" car by would-be enthusiast's who try to make a case for something (Veyron comes to mind again). That's just my thought.
    Any Nissan Skyline is better than the crap you're manufacturing in the United States of America and have been manufacturing for the last 30 years since you stopped making great American cars in the mid-seventies.
    Last edited by john14; 01-14-2009 at 01:25 AM.
    "Take my swimming trunks, I won't need them." - Frank Costanza. "What does he want with your swimming trunks." - Estelle Costanza. "Why should they go to waste." - Frank Costanza - Seinfeld

Quote Originally Posted by john14 View Post
    Any Nissan Skyline is better than the crap you're manufacturing in the United States of America and have been manufacturing for the last 30 years since you stopped making great American cars in the mid-seventies.
    Just so you know, I loathe American made sports cars.

Quote Originally Posted by LTSmash View Post
    Just so you know, I loathe American made sports cars.
    nothing to loathe then
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by john14 View Post
    how do you figure that? it's all subjective.

i like cars under 1600kg. there, i've managed to rule out the GT-R completely whilst the corvette/viper/saleen S7 qualify.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    how do you figure that? it's all subjective.

i like cars under 1600kg. there, i've managed to rule out the GT-R completely whilst the corvette/viper/saleen S7 qualify.
    I think he means it more as a generalization. Just like my detest for American sports cars does not include all sports cars made in the US.

...Just most of them.

Thread Information