Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: R35 GT-R V-Spec shows its face... and price

Quote Originally Posted by john14 View Post
    Any Nissan Skyline is better than the crap you're manufacturing in the United States of America and have been manufacturing for the last 30 years since you stopped making great American cars in the mid-seventies.
    No doubt the Skyline is a great car, but I think it's a bit silly to umbrella-hate all cars that bear the stars and stripes. Yes, most of them have been shiatsu recently, but I reckon the big three will step up their game, big time. I'm thinking global car of the year in the next few years.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    No doubt the Skyline is a great car, but I think it's a bit silly to umbrella-hate all cars that bear the stars and stripes. Yes, most of them have been shiatsu recently, but I reckon the big three will step up their game, big time. I'm thinking global car of the year in the next few years.
    I doubt cars will honestly be global, because the difference between markets are too big to be ignored.

They will share bits and pieces, but they won't be the same.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I doubt cars will honestly be global, because the difference between markets are too big to be ignored.

They will share bits and pieces, but they won't be the same.
    Vast numbers of models, no. One or two particular examples.. maybe.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Vast numbers of models, no. One or two particular examples.. maybe.
    Well take the Mondeo and the Taurus. If we exchanged them I don't think they would be successful.

And we could pick plenty of other examples.
    Visca Catalunya!

Well take the Mondeo and the Taurus. If we exchanged them I don't think they would be successful.

And we could pick plenty of other examples.
    Designed for different markets. I think the future of said markets is going to change and we'll find cars from America, Europe, Japan, and Australia will become more and more similar. Well, probably in the case of America and Australia conforming to the smaller city car and b-road automobile profile that is becoming the norm in Europe. Diesel will also grow imo.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Designed for different markets. I think the future of said markets is going to change and we'll find cars from America, Europe, Japan, and Australia will become more and more similar. Well, probably in the case of America and Australia conforming to the smaller city car and b-road automobile profile that is becoming the norm in Europe. Diesel will also grow imo.
    I think you do have a point with downsizing Australian and American cars to European and Japanese levels, at least getting closer. Especially when fuel prices go up again.

However despite that there are still fundamental differences in driving behaviour and roads. You have wide open roads that are usually quite straight and also expect your cars to have an automatic gearbox. You are also used to powerful cars but yet drive relatively slow.

On the other hand Europe has small winding roads (even our motorways have corners) and we expect cars to handle well and usually have a manual gearbox. We drive relatively underpowered cars but drive much faster than in the US.

As a result of those differences the cars will still have to be different between markets if they want to succeed in them. We will tend to globalisation, I agree with that and in fact we've been doing for years now, but the same cars sold in utterly different markets? I don't think so.
    Visca Catalunya!

I think you do have a point with downsizing Australian and American cars to European and Japanese levels, at least getting closer. Especially when fuel prices go up again.

However despite that there are still fundamental differences in driving behaviour and roads. You have wide open roads that are usually quite straight and also expect your cars to have an automatic gearbox. You are also used to powerful cars but yet drive relatively slow.

On the other hand Europe has small winding roads (even our motorways have corners) and we expect cars to handle well and usually have a manual gearbox. We drive relatively underpowered cars but drive much faster than in the US.

As a result of those differences the cars will still have to be different between markets if they want to succeed in them. We will tend to globalisation, I agree with that and in fact we've been doing for years now, but the same cars sold in utterly different markets? I don't think so.
    Cars fit for local roads I agree with you on. I think the main differences in the end will not be the size or proportions of the car, but rather power output/delivery and suspension/chassis. American cars I'm guessing will continue along the more power at less rpm approach while everyone else will strive more towards higher rpm's and turbocharging. Suspension wise, assuming the overall size of US/Euro/Japan/OZ become more similar, Europe and Japan will still likely offer the best driving experience while our areas with open-highway and wide traffic lanes will continue on with a competent but cruiser-like chassis. How electric and/or hydrogen cars will come into play I couldn't venture a legitimate guess into yet.

In the end, that's just my speculation.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Reanimating thread to say: GT-R has had it's launch control software updated in light of all those failures, it is now more durable ...and, inexplicably, also faster. More than 1/2 a second faster to 60mph with VDC (Vehicle Dynamic Control) on.

Read on.
    Before reprogramming

VDC off

0-60 mph-----3.8 sec. (3.5 sec. with one foot of rollout like on a dragstrip)
    1/4 Mile-------11.8 sec. @ 118.6 mph
    VDC on
    0-60 mph-----4.3 sec. (4.0 sec. with one foot of rollout like on a dragstrip)
    1/4 Mile-------12.3 sec. @ 118.5 mph

After reprogramming
    VDC off
    0-60 mph-----3.6 sec. (3.3 sec. with one foot of rollout like on a dragstrip)
    1/4 Mile-------11.6 sec. @ 118.9 mph
    VDC on
    0-60 mph-----3.6 sec. (3.4 sec. with one foot of rollout like on a dragstrip)
    1/4 Mile-------11.7 sec. @ 118.5 mph
    Horsepower wins races. Torque pulls trailers.

http://www.nuerburgring.de/fileadmin/webcam/webcam.jpg <Live cast from the 'Ring.

The unbelievably fast.
    Visca Catalunya!

I'm a bit surprised the time is better with the VDC off, they didn't reprogrammed only the VDC then.

still I wouldn't buy it. Besides being ugly, it's too much hyped, and I would also doubt it's reliability even after this update.
    Never being a fan of R3x tbh.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

all those updates, and it's still not interesting..
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    I'm a bit surprised the time is better with the VDC off, they didn't reprogrammed only the VDC then.

still I wouldn't buy it. Besides being ugly, it's too much hyped, and I would also doubt it's reliability even after this update.
    Never being a fan of R3x tbh.
    I doubt a computer was going to be able to inject "interestingness" into it...
    Visca Catalunya!

I doubt a computer was going to be able to inject "interestingness" into it...
    I think you wanted to quote clutch, but since I agree with him, I'm fine with it.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    all those updates, and it's still not interesting..
    have you seen a GTR at the track? that is what made them interesting to me.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by john14 View Post
    Any Nissan Skyline is better than the crap you're manufacturing in the United States of America and have been manufacturing for the last 30 years since you stopped making great American cars in the mid-seventies.
    If you feel current American cars are downright junk compared to what we were building in the mid 70's......I don't think I want to be taking ANY automotive advice from you at any point, now or ever.
    "Wise man say: Forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza."

Thread Information