Thread: 2014 Tour Auto report and 300-shot gallery ...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

2014 Tour Auto report and 300-shot gallery ...

This week, some of the most beautiful roads of France were the scene of the annual Tour Auto retrospective rally. The five-day and 2,000 km event featured a 250-car strong field of GT and Touring cars of many different shapes and sizes, ranging from a BMW 700, to a fleet of Ferraris, Alfa Romeos, Porsches and Cobras. The star cars this year included the Ferrari 250 GT SWB 'Breadvan' we featured last week but also the very first Porsche 911 Carrera RSR. Set in the eastern and southeastern parts of France, the Tour Auto was run mostly on undulating roads and also featured the Dijon-Prenois, Anneau du Rhin, Bresse and Paul Ricard circuits. The fight of the outright win lasted until the very last day and was disputed between a pair of Cobras and a pair of E-Types.
    Our photographers chased the Tour Auto through France and captured the event from start to finish. The result is this concise stage-by-stage report, illustrated by an action-packed 300-shot gallery.

Enjoy the links:

2014 Tour Auto - Report and Slideshow
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

This is always one of my favorite events, thank you for going annually and taking great photos!

Great report as always. I wonder, what's the traffic like on those roads during the event? I can barely see a non-participating car on your pictures, except for what seemingly are support or press vehicles. Do they close the roads for the event and let go by pass only? Is it possible to follow the whole route (or nearly whole, like on Mille Miglia) on an ordinary car with no press/participant/assistance pass?

Quote Originally Posted by faksta View Post
    Great report as always. I wonder, what's the traffic like on those roads during the event? I can barely see a non-participating car on your pictures, except for what seemingly are support or press vehicles. Do they close the roads for the event and let go by pass only? Is it possible to follow the whole route (or nearly whole, like on Mille Miglia) on an ordinary car with no press/participant/assistance pass?
    I guess the lack of other traffic is the result of careful image selection but the route usually also only uses small roads with light traffic. No road is blocked, with the exception of the special stages, so you can easily follow the entire route.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Thread Information