Page 34 of 50 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Thread: The "I just drove a..." Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    But the thing is, a scooter does urban transport much more practically and economically and there's always public transport, if you are so inclined. And a proper car does everything else much better for a similar price.

One of my work colleagues tried the diesel and he said it was seriously slow.
    Bust think about ppl in my situation, i do 30kms to work, 90% highway and 10% urban, than 5kms urban to lunch and back to work, than another 30 home again.

So 70kms everyday, 85% highway doing a normal 90-100kms/h

Scoorters or bikes are out of the question, simply because of rain and marital issues.

The next car on the list that i could buy uses 1 more liter of diesel every 100kms.

i only need to carry myself and the ocasional shopping bag.

It is a miserable car, but as a commuter i don't think there is anything better.

If i had the choice i would opt for a small Bike (yamaha DTR 125cc) and use my car for the rainy days.

But not everyone can ride a bike.
    Last edited by ruim20; 04-15-2011 at 04:15 AM.
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

Quote Originally Posted by ruim20 View Post
    Bust think about ppl in my situation, i do 30kms to work, 90% highway and 10% urban, than 5kms urban to lunch and back to work, than another 30 home again.

So 70kms everyday, 85% highway doing a normal 90-100kms/h

Scoorters or bikes are out of the question, simply because of rain and marital issues.

The next car on the list that i could buy uses 1 more liter of diesel every 100kms.

i only need to carry myself and the ocasional shopping bag.

It is a miserable car, but as a commuter i don't think there is anything better.

If i had the choice i would opt for a small Bike (yamaha DTR 125cc) and use my car for the rainy days.

I think something like a Toyota Aygo can be equally frugal while costing half the money and surviving for twice the miles, or more.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

I'm dryer on my motorbike than I am if I public transport to work.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    I think something like a Toyota Aygo can be equally frugal while costing half the money and surviving for twice the miles, or more.
    Especially if, as ruim says, most of it is motorway or open road. Even a Panda or a Twingo or whatever. Just not the Smart.

And anyway, the Toyota iQ was the final nail in its coffin. If only they had bothered with the Mitsubishi i.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Especially if, as ruim says, most of it is motorway or open road. Even a Panda or a Twingo or whatever. Just not the Smart.

And anyway, the Toyota iQ was the final nail in its coffin. If only they had bothered with the Mitsubishi i.
    That would be all just fine if thoose cars where cheaper as you say,

Toytota IQ Diesel (bone stock) - 17.650€ 4L/100kms

The Aygo isn't sold with a diesel engine here.

Smart fortwo Diesel (bone Stock) - 12.608 3.5L/100kms

It's a 5000€ difference that you could spend on diesel and that half litter every 100kms.
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

That would be all just fine if thoose cars where cheaper as you say,

Toytota IQ Diesel (bone stock) - 17.650€ 4L/100kms

The Aygo isn't sold with a diesel engine here.

Smart fortwo Diesel (bone Stock) - 12.608 3.5L/100kms

It's a 5000€ difference that you could spend on diesel and that half litter every 100kms.
    I think a link is better than writing a post full of stats.

Comparador

All are the base versions, and despite the Smart having the lowest combined fuel consumption, the Twingo beats it in extraurban figures. The Smart is also the slowest and most expensive. It also lacks power steering as standard, which the others don't.
    Visca Catalunya!

I think a link is better than writing a post full of stats.

Comparador

All are the base versions, and despite the Smart having the lowest combined fuel consumption, the Twingo beats it in extraurban figures. The Smart is also the slowest and most expensive. It also lacks power steering as standard, which the others don't.
    i could even had the C1 and the 107 HDIs

Still, Spanish prices are not Portuguese prices , every car on that list is at least 5000€ more than the smart over here, i don't think a .1L/100kms would justify that difference.
    Speed is non important, it's a commuter and the speed limit is 120kms/h.

As a means of transportation Home/work/work/home the smart cdi works.

I've driven our Ford excessively this week, and what shall I say... it's absolutely horrible to drive. The steering doesn't work properly (it's almost impossible to go round a corner without having to correct which is annoying), there is no power steering (annoys the shit out of you when you want to park), and the clutch is almost gone. The car itself is really rather comfortable and practical, but in it's current state, it's absolute rubbish.
    Apart from that, I had a short ride on my sister's boyfriend's Yamaha. Yes, I want a motorbike now.
    FIXIE EVOLVED INTO SMALL MOTORBIKE! Now driving a Simson KR51 <3

Dream ride: red 1971 Opel Commodore GS/E

Not really a "drive" but a "sit".

I sat in a CR-Z, a 9th generation Civic, and a new Insight.

Honestly, I can say based on the interior, it's gotten a lot worse than former Honda products. I've been in every generation Accord since the 2nd generation, the plastics in the new crop of cars leave much to be desired. I do see well built interiors- nothing is really falling apart, but the plastics feel so terrible. The molding edges that should be trimmed are still somewhat attached. I mean, plastic is plastic, but it just doesn't feel right. It's nowhere as smooth as the plastic on any of the old Accords.

Also, I'm not sure who decided to cover the entire door interior with plastic. In the past, Accords had the top with vinyl plastic and the rest covered in a faux suede or cloth. The only plastics that would show up would be either in the crank windows or the switches and locks and door pulls. Instead, these cars literally have acres and acres of plastic that all feel the same except with different colors.

In all, just sitting in them left me highly dissatisfied. And what is with the 9th gen Civic with a 4 speed automatic? I spoke to a dealer rep, he said "it was geared for efficiency." Bullshit, it deserves at least a 5 speed automatic, if not a 6 speed. Extra gears give you more efficiency, you're in the "sweet spot" more often.

The Insight I would have been happy with if they ditched the stupid IMA hybrid crap. I like the packaging of the car- 5 door hatchback. I don't need the hybrid bullshit though.

And the dealer reps called the CR-Z a CR-X part 2. THEY ARE NOT THE SAME. Do not lie to me please, at the very least the CR-X came with back seats, and that is one of the smaller differences.

Sorry guys, I had to rant. I'm not liking what I see.

Agree on the plastic thing. Then again it's common in many cars, and I'd say in most American cars. I had rides or drove a new Toyota Matrix, a Cadillac DTS and a Chevrolet van whose name I couldn't care about...

Plastic is plastic and yes, it's everywhere. Of course the problem was mainly felt in the cheaper Matrix, then again the much more expensive and more comfortable Cadillac had still far too much cheap plastic or cheap plastic feeling.
    Same for the van, even if that one felt a lot like a commercial van so it was kinda OK.

I'd say that in Europe plastic is generally better feeling and less used especially for door panels.

As Culver said in another thread, it's not that American cars suck because American companies suck at designing them. The main point is that there is quite a share of buyers who just don't car as long as the car is working. And that's the same also when considering the boringness of some bodyworks.

I have to say, I agree with him.

IIRC the Insight failed to meet expectations because it was designed to be cheaper and smaller than what the market eventually asked. It's ironic you liked it the most
    Personally I'd do the math for the running costs of a hybrid VS conventional car, wouldn't rule them out. They already proved to be as reliable if not more in many cases.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    Agree on the plastic thing. Then again it's common in many cars, and I'd say in most American cars. I had rides or drove a new Toyota Matrix, a Cadillac DTS and a Chevrolet van whose name I couldn't care about...

Plastic is plastic and yes, it's everywhere. Of course the problem was mainly felt in the cheaper Matrix, then again the much more expensive and more comfortable Cadillac had still far too much cheap plastic or cheap plastic feeling.
    Same for the van, even if that one felt a lot like a commercial van so it was kinda OK.

I'd say that in Europe plastic is generally better feeling and less used especially for door panels.

As Culver said in another thread, it's not that American cars suck because American companies suck at designing them. The main point is that there is quite a share of buyers who just don't car as long as the car is working. And that's the same also when considering the boringness of some bodyworks.

I have to say, I agree with him.

IIRC the Insight failed to meet expectations because it was designed to be cheaper and smaller than what the market eventually asked. It's ironic you liked it the most
    Personally I'd do the math for the running costs of a hybrid VS conventional car, wouldn't rule them out. They already proved to be as reliable if not more in many cases.
    Cars were meant as appliances, true, but they're just SO BORING now. I feel like no attention to detail is paid anymore, you know? The new Civic Si has a 2.4 liter, not a 2.0, revs lower and has a more cheap interior. I mean, I didn't sit in a Si, but I was looking at perhaps a mid range Civic- the plugs for electronics looks like they were tacked on last minute. The steering wheel buttons when you push them don't have the right tactile feedback. I mean, you're supposed to enjoy the interior, no? What was wrong with the previous use of cloth on the door panels? Cloth just feels better than acres of cold plastic. You could hang your arm on it and now pinch your elbow nerve. You can bang up against it, it'll cushion your blow.

Insight is retarded. The premium you pay for the car isn't worth it in my opinion, just for the hybrid drivetrain. Honestly, if I had know how, I'd probably pick up an Insight, rip out all the electronic guts and weld in an old EG Civic drivetrain.

I love everything else about the car though- just about the right size, just the stupid hybrid system I don't care for.

Just drove a 1989 Audi V8.

Very smooth and effortless perfomance. The car felt composed, self-confident, comfortable - a true gentleman's express.

After 310,000 kms and 22 years, the interior was completely rattle free.

Best of all - glorious V8 soundtrack. That alone is reason enough to own this politically incorrect monster for those lazy Sunday afternoon drives.

Yeah, I was impressed. Now I'd like to join with Ferrer's Audi Fanboy Club, danke schön.

3.6 or 4.2? Manual?

And you are more than welcome. You can be the vicepresident.

I sort of like my V6...
    Visca Catalunya!

It was 3.6 auto.

I drive a 12 seater Toyota Hiace diesel with a 4-spd auto up to the hunter valley last weekend. Needed more gears, but it actually coped well with the shitty roads out there. I was surprised.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Thread Information