Thread: Ford Mustang (5th gen) Boss 302 2007-

Ford Mustang (5th gen) Boss 302 2007-

FORD RACING BRINGS THE BOSS BACK WITH NEW LINE OF BOSS 302 CRATE ENGINES

* Ford resurrects legendary 5.0-liter V-8 engine with all new Ford Racing BOSS 302.

* New line of BOSS crate engines are capable of delivering up to 500 horsepower

* Race ready and affordably priced, starting at $4650

LAS VEGAS, Oct. 31, 2006 - Ford [NYSE: F] today announced at the Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) show that it is reviving the legendary 5.0-liter 302 cubic inch V-8 engine for the aftermarket with a new line of BOSS 302 crate engines, which will go on sale in early 2007.

Making its debut in 1969, the original BOSS 302 powered a limited production Mustang model sold for two years, which was known as the BOSS 302. The car got its name from the legendary engine that powered the Mustang to a Sports Car Club of American Trans-Am series win in 1970.

“The original BOSS 302 was a race winning engine. Sharing the DNA from the original BOSS 302, the new BOSS 302 begins with a block designed with racing in mind from the beginning,” said Jamie Allison, manager, Ford Racing Performance Group. “Whether racing in a sealed engine class, building an all-out drag racing engine or looking for a street performer, the BOSS 302 block and engine family meets the needs of all Ford 302 enthusiasts at a price that is comparable to a performance-prepped stock 302.”

The new Ford Racing Performance Parts BOSS 302 line was conceived because there was an unmet need for engines built from a block stronger than original regular production 302 blocks but more affordable than full race-prepped blocks. The new BOSS 302 engine block features greater strength than most race blocks and offers a street-capable cooling system design, something that race specific blocks tend to sacrifice.

Despite its strength and capability, the new BOSS 302 line is surprisingly affordable because of its high volume production. And since it was designed within Ford Motor Company, the engine also benefits from the improved quality and durability that comes with a production type engine.

“The original BOSS 302 delivered less than 300 hp. Today, enthusiasts are making 500 hp street cars and they need a robust block. Race-specific blocks offer the strength required but cool poorly for street use and are very expensive for the average enthusiast,” says Allison.

Built from the all new BOSS 302 block, the BOSS crate engines feature performance and packaging that accommodate displacements from 302 to 363 cubic inches. Entry level engines feature the Ford Racing GT-40X Xtra Performance Turbo Swirl aluminum heads to retain stock exhaust locations and are rated at 340 and 345 hp. Higher performance versions include Ford Racing's “Z”-head equipped 302 and 347 cubic inch engines rated between 360 and 450 hp, depending on configuration. The BOSS engine series is capped by a 500 hp 331 cubic inch engine that showcases the capability of the new block by breathing through all new ported Z-heads.

Features that separate the new BOSS 302 from its competition include:

* 4-bolt mains for lower-end stability at high power outputs
    * High-tin 41,000 PSI tensile strength iron alloy for ultimate strength
    * Nodular iron main caps for additional strength
    * Screw-in freeze plugs for additional more strength and stability
    * Front cross-over lifter oiling for high RPM valvetrain capability
    * Siamese bores with specifically engineered drillings between cylinders for maximum wall stability and gasket sealing with street capable cooling performance

The suggested retail price for the BOSS 302 block is and affordable $1,759, with BOSS engines ranging from $4,650 to $10,000 for the 500 hp BOSS 331 cubic inch engines. The engines come with a 12 month/12,000 mile limited warranty.

Like the original Boss 302 that was engineered for Trans Am racing, the new BOSS 302 features trickle down performance from racing in the American Speed Association (ASA) Late Model circle track series. A sealed circle track version of a 347 cubic inch BOSS engine will be available both for ASA and NASCAR circle track racers in time for the 2007 season.

Debuting in four SEMA display vehicles, four premier car builders placed the new BOSS 302 in their 2006 show vehicles. All the builders chose to use a 302 cubic inch engine, staying true to the original namesake. Featured builders are:

* Dan Web – Award-winning hot rod creator is featuring a 390 hp BOSS engine in his 1933 Ford 3-window coupe.

* Galpin Ford – Known for their “Galpinized” custom creations, they built a “retro-mod” 2007 Mustang featuring a 360 hp BOSS engine.
    * Chip Foose – Created the new “Powered by Ford BOSS 302” from a 1970 Mustang for the show Overhaulin'; public reveal at SEMA.
    * Hotrods and Horsepower – Created the SEMA Deuce, a commemorative vehicle for the 2006 SEMA show featuring a 360 hp BOSS engine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

wow that looks cool
    I am the Stig

Ferrari Constructors Champions 2007

Minimising losses can maximise net gains

Quote Originally Posted by lightweight
    Your point? You do realize that most of the cars in the hide-out are also featured as part of the site?
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

i would really like to see more pictures of this one

Ford Mustang Boss 302 (2010)

- 5.0-liter V8, 440 horsepower, 380 lb-ft of torque, 155 mph, 1.0 g on the skidpad

- Engine: new intake management with a "runners-in-the-box plenum/velocity stack" setup, more aggressive cams, re-tuned custom exhaust setup (scroll down for an excerpt explaining this badness)

- Transmission: short-throw shifter with new knob, close-ratio gearing, heavy-duty clutch

- Driveline: 3.73 gears, limited slip differential, optional Torsen LSD

- Suspension: lowered 11mm in front, 1mm in back, uprated springs, stiffer bushings, thicker rear sway bar, standard 5-way adjustable shocks/struts

- Gadgetry: 3-way adjustable electronic steering, unique traction/stability control programs

- Brakes: Brembo 4-piston calipers and 14-inch vented rotors (front), standard GT fare with special pads (rear), low-compressibility brake lines

- Wheels: alloys, 19x9 front / 19x9.5 rear wrapped in Pirellis

- Interior: Alcantara-wrapped steering wheel, new cloth/faux suede seats, optional Recaro seats, dark metallic trim, unique sill plates, 11 lbs of sound-deadening material removed

- Exterior: black or white roof panel with matching C-stripe, Competition Orange / Kona Blue Metallic / Race Red / Performance White / Yellow Blaze Tri-Coat Metallic, new front styling, new aerodynamic pieces
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Ford Mustang Boss 302 #2
    Visca Catalunya!

Ford Mustang Boss 302 #3
    Visca Catalunya!

Ford Mustang Boss 302 #4
    Visca Catalunya!

Ford Mustang Boss 302 #5
    Visca Catalunya!

Ford Mustang Boss 302 #6
    Visca Catalunya!

Ford Mustang Boss 302 #7
    Visca Catalunya!

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    I still feel the solid axle makes it a little too much comromise, but I don't think anyone can deny that it is a seriously beautiful car.
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

Quote Originally Posted by digitalcraft View Post
    I still feel the solid axle makes it a little too much comromise, but I don't think anyone can deny that it is a seriously beautiful car.
    Actually, the contrary in my book.
    The solid axle isn't hurting anyone, and the car is good looking, but definitely not beautiful.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by digitalcraft View Post
    I still feel the solid axle makes it a little too much comromise
    I disagree. There's plenty of "proper" IRS equipped performance cars in this car's class/price segment that won't stand a chance against it on the road course. The only thing that is being compromised is some ride comfort....and really, who cares?. All performance with comfort/convenience leveraged as the only expense (and there's not even that much convenience being expended with this new Boss, really).....THIS is what I'm looking for in a 4 wheeled toy. I'll take a highly tuned solid axle suspension over a so-so IRS on the twisties any day (Camaro and Challenger....I'm looking at you).
    "Wise man say: Forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza."

Thread Information