Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mercedes-Benz F400 Carving Concept 2001

Germany -> West Germany -> NRW -> Düsseldorf

Mercedes-Benz F400 Carving Concept 2001

DaimlerChrysler presents F 400 Carving research vehicle with dynamic chassis technology

Tokyo, Oct 24, 2001

* Concept study with new systems for even more active safety

* Outer wheels that tilt by up to 20 degrees when cornering

* Active wheel camber control enhances directional stability

* Less risk of skidding and shorter emergency stopping distance

* Forward-looking technology with real design appeal

* Asian premiere of the new SL-Class and the facelifted M-Class

DaimlerChrysler is exhibiting a special concept study at the 35th Tokyo Motor Show: the F 400 Carving is a research vehicle packed with dynamic systems designed to give the cars of tomorrow and beyond substantially enhanced active safety, dynamic handling control and driving pleasure.

The main attraction in the F 400 Carving is a new system that varies the camber angle on the outer wheels between 0 and 20 degrees, depending on the road situation. Used in conjunction with newly-developed tyres, it provides 30 percent more lateral stability than a conventional system with a fixed camber setting and standard tyres. This considerably enhances active safety, since better lateral stability equals improved road adhesion and greater cornering stability.

Active camber control boosts the research vehicle's maximum lateral acceleration to 1.28 g, meaning that the concept study outperforms current sports cars by some 28 percent.

The active camber control in the F 400 Carving paves the way for an equally new asymmetrical-tread tyre concept. When the two-seater car is cornering, the outer wheels tilt inwards, leaving only the inner area of these tyres in contact with the road. This area of the tread is slightly rounded off. Meanwhile both the tread pattern and the rubber blend have been specially selected to ensure highly dynamic and extremely safe cornering. When driving straight ahead, however, it is the outer areas of the tyres that are in contact with the road.

These areas have a tried-and-tested car tread pattern, offering excellent high-speed and low-noise performance. Two different concepts therefore come to fruition in a single tyre, thanks to active camber control.
    The research vehicle's "Carving" epithet symbolises the new technology, evoking images of the high-speed winter sport in which adepts perform sharp turns on a specially shaped highly agile ski.

Less risk of skidding and shorter emergency stopping distance
    The F 400 Carving is something of a mobile research laboratory for the Stuttgart-based automotive engineers. They will be using it to investigate the undoubted further potential of this new chassis technology: besides offering excellent directional stability during cornering, the new technology ensures a much higher level of active safety in the event of an emergency. By way of example, if there is a risk of skidding, the wheel camber is increased by an appropriate degree. The resultant gain in lateral stability significantly enhances the effect of ESP®, the Electronic Stability Program. If the research car needs to be braked in an emergency, all four of its wheels can be tilted in next to no time, thus shortening the stopping distance from 100 km/h by a good five metres.

Electronic steering, active hydropneumatic system and light from glass fibres
    In addition to active camber control, the F 400 Carving research car is fitted with other forward-looking steering and chassis systems, including a steer-by-wire system. Sensors pick up the driver's steering inputs and send this information to two microcomputers which, in turn, control an electrically driven steering gear. The DaimlerChrysler engineers also charted new territory when it came to the suspension tuning, and introduced a first: an active hydropneumatic system that optimises the suspension and damping in line with the changing situation on the road, all at lightning speed.

The F 400 Carving is also the showcase for a totally new form of lighting technology developed by the Stuttgart-based researchers: fibre-optic lines are used to transmit light from xenon lamps beneath the bonnet to the main headlamps. This technology stands out by virtue of its high performance and extremely space-saving design. Additional headlamps positioned on the sides also come on when the car is cornering.

Exciting design symbolising innovation and emotion
    The F 400 Carving is an exciting and harmonious blend of technology and design. The shape of the sports car – notably its distinctive wing profiles – provides the necessary room for the wheels to move when the active camber control is at work during cornering and, at the same time, emphasises the youthful and highly adventurous nature of this concept study. In order to reflect the research car's high-quality driving dynamics, the designers opted for a speedster concept - incorporating an extended bonnet, a windscreen with an extremely sharp rake, a short tail end and an interior tailor-made for two.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    WRC - That's motorsport!

"If you can see the tree you are about to hit, it is called 'understeering'. If you can only hear and feel it, it was 'oversteering'."
    Walter Röhrl

F400 Carving #2
    WRC - That's motorsport!

"If you can see the tree you are about to hit, it is called 'understeering'. If you can only hear and feel it, it was 'oversteering'."
    Walter Röhrl

F400 Carving #3
    WRC - That's motorsport!

Walter Röhrl

F400 Carving #4
    WRC - That's motorsport!

Walter Röhrl

F400 Carving #5
    WRC - That's motorsport!

Walter Röhrl

F400 Carving #6
    WRC - That's motorsport!

Walter Röhrl

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    There's some good things about it. I like that its a roadster. I like a few of the design cues. Those headlights on the fins just do not work though. That looks bad.
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

This has variable camber right?

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    This has variable camber right?
    Yes it does.

Tried to figure out how they do it in that brake pad shot but didn't see anything interesting...
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

this couls have been one of the most significant sports car concepts ever if it had actually led to anything. but instead nothing progressed from it.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    this couls have been one of the most significant sports car concepts ever if it had actually led to anything. but instead nothing progressed from it.
    agree, but it's also one of those concepts which involve too many changes to be made by suppliers too, like tires, suspensions, brakes.
    something not really well accepted when you produce standard components with small and step by step updates since a lot of years, and making you expensive living out of it.
    too bad, as usual.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

And if you break anything repairs will cost an arm, leg, and kidney.
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

Quote Originally Posted by digitalcraft View Post
    And if you break anything repairs will cost an arm, leg, and kidney.
    if the parts are produced in mass for a new car, they are likely to cost like other standard parts, or just slightly more.
    the point is, they are not going to change anything if the revenues aren't bigger, which could confirm your point.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

What I mean is all the added complexity in the suspension system will be really expensive to repair. Its like working on a new car engine vs old but with suspension.
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

Quote Originally Posted by ruim20 View Post
    Tried to figure out how they do it in that brake pad shot but didn't see anything interesting...
    Post #6 pic #2.
    You can see the large hydraulic pipes going to a black piston just above the bottom arm.
    Easiest place to make the changes by effectively moving the lower pivot ball joint location in/out.

SUspect that all that extra UNSPRUNG weight ultimately will punish any handling improvements from variable camber. Also as the castor angle changes with camber then it will affect the cornering as it changes -- bad

Thread Information