Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What will YOU buy next?

What will YOU buy next?

As I've gone through different stages in my life, my needs or wants for different types of vehicles have changed dramatically. So, I figure chances are I'm not the only one constantly brainstorming about what I'm doing next. I'm interested to see whats going through everyone else's heads too.
    Okay I'll cut the crap, because to be honest, I've never really "needed" any type of vehicle per se. Its typically been a matter of me growing tired of what I have and wanting to try something new. Its terrible, but at least I can admit it. One thing has changed though, I'm not as trigger happy as I used to be with my cheque book. If and when I do end up changing daily drivers in the future, it will be much more well thought out.
    Apart from my very obvious quest for Ferrari ownership which, needless to say is a very second vehicle and not a daily driver, a few more realistic'ish short term fun car IDEAS I've been tossing and turning are as follows:

And I stress the word "Ideas" because that is truly all these are. So, in no particular order...

- C5 Corvette : I can take it to the chevy dealership...or any other mechanic
    - early 996 Carrera : an easier way to start 911 ownership
    - 350Z : relatively easy to live with and can be driven like a hooligan
    - Lotus Elise : great exotic fun with reliability and fuel economy, need I say more?
    - early 2000's Maserati Coupe : looks and sounds pretty
    - 05 and up Mustang GT : same as 350Z but with American muscle charm
    - Mazda MX5 NC : same as Elise but easier to live with on a daily basis.
    - BMW E46 M3 : always loved these, always will
    - Benz R230 SL500 : I don't know
    - first generation Jaguar XKR : The shape is timeless
    - Hyundai Genesis Coupe (either 2.0T or 3.8 V6) : have a good time for Hyundai money? why not.

... While I'm sure some of these choices fail miserably in others' eyes, thats why your turns complete with your own reasons come next... and at least I can guarantee Albert will be pleased to see there are NO Audis lol.

Most likely first the Stilo will be replaced, possibly by a C3 diesel, but the urgency is not big.
    The C5 will continue for at least another 3 years, and after that I don't know, whether we still need a break or we can indulge in a C6, less practical, but immensely more attractive.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I like all except Porsche and Merc.

As for what will I buy next, well I've just bought a 17 year old, 140.000km car...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I think a good first car might be a Mazda 3, though I have never seriously investigated getting a car so am unsure of insurance, reliability, repair costs, etc.

When it comes time for me to buy a car, which will probably still be a few years away, I want something fairly basic that isn't a Toyota.

EDIT: Rob, your list is pretty good.

C5s are awesome but it's a shame they are so hideously ugly.

I like your list, too bad I don't have the money to buy them yet. Depreciation means that you can buy most of the cars on your list for a fraction of original MSRP.

I don't know about the Maserati though. It's cheap, yes, but I've heard that the maintenance is not inexpensive.

If all goes well, I shall be licensed by the end of this year. Whether I buy a car now or later remains to be seen, but like any sane enthusiast, I've made a list of things I wouldn't mind driving to the Motorsports club.

The list is as follows:

1. 1st-gen Subaru Legacy Sport. It's a WRX that won't give your insurance company a headache. Also doesn't hurt to have the WRC pedigree (NZ '93! ) behind it and some parts-interchangeability with the WRX! Sadly, parts costs and a thirst for premium fuel will mostly likely hurt it. Relatively rare (in the US, at least) means that I may have to pay a bit more, but examples come up on craigslist/enthusiast forums.

2. Volvo 740 Turbo. A great big bloody RWD brick with a fat slug under the hood. Preferably manual. Big plus if wagon; I need to hold a mountain bike/sleep in it if I go outdoors.

3. 2009 Toyota Camry - already purchased and in the family. Bit reluctant to drive it as it's so new and my father is very protective of his cars. I'll save some money if I drive this for a while, which is probably what I'll do until I have enough.

4. Old Mercedes-Benz E/S-class. Like the Subaru, parts and fuel will probably doom this to the reject pile. Still worth a look, I figure. I wouldn't mind having a diesel wagon!

5. Honda Civic Si/Acura Integra GS-R or Type-R - No particular preference. Cheap (not Type-R) and fun if you can find a good example. Don't plan on doing anything more than suspension+tire+B-series if I somehow find a fat sack of money.

6. Toyota Corolla GT-S. I like Initial D. So there. Willing to substitute any vintage RWD Toyota as I'm not willing to pay 10k for one just yet.

7. E30 3-series. No. Just no. But if the price is right...
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

My thoughts are that when Ingrid comes up for replacement (which is actually due pretty soon, when I become more settled in work) That I will base any decision on condition and interest. Having said that It's likely to be small to mid sized and a hatch. Maybe.

Front Runners so Far include:
    -Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon/Forester GT (MY00 ish)
    -BMW E36 Coupe (pref 328i, again condition based)
    -VW Golf MkIII/IV with specials.

The Subaru seems to be the best choice but they fetch a premium around my parts because of their ski-worthiness. Definitely worth a trip to sydney, i suspect.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

I too have always suffered from the problem of buying without thinking, however I think I've well and truly been taught a lesson by Land Rover ownership.

I bought my Defender (second Land Rover after the Vogue I owned for a number of years and sold in '08) new off the showroom floor six months ago and since then I've encountered 3 major mechanical faults that have required it to be returned to the dealership for days/weeks at a time. I know Range Rover's aren't known for reliability either but I think BMW and Ford injected some improvement. What's worse is that Land Rover support (in Australia done by a company called Mondial who basically do assistance for every manufacturer) is horrific and I live just over 500km from the nearest dealership which complicates everything substantially.

The only thing this whole experience has taught me is to always make sure there's a Landcruiser in the garage, I've never seen one break down that's only a few years old and I change cars every year or two anyway.

I like reliability,refinement and bargains so I'll soon be looking for a well kept low mileage 2008 Acura TLS in dark gray or silver.

Probably something with a good sized stuff lugging capability.. if it's a car. At the moment I don't have one and am getting along fine without one. It may be that I find a good deal on a trade-up for my motorbike (not the postie, obv.).
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

More parts for the 914/6 GT project. And maybe put the Sebring car on layaway. Too good to not own.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

i'm looking at a late model low kays approx 2007 onwards mx5 with the foldable hard top. i've considered alot of other stuff, including the golf r, but who has $70k to burn on a car?, yer, anyway, the mx5 stacks up for what i am after. a bit of an all rounder as well as something for the weekend to cruise up and down the coast with the mrs etc that doesnt cost a fortune to own and run. the model i am looking at, with all the bells and whistles including leather can be had for around $25 - $30k AUD, which is pretty good for what it is.

desmorob, love the 996 and m3 choice, both fantastic cars that i still drool over to this day, the rest of the list, except the mx5, doesnt do much for me though. but each to their own.

Falls Church (home), Charlottesville (college), Virginia, USA
    Now that I'm employed, I've been vaguely thinking of getting something to supplement the Cougar. Something small, efficient, reliable, practical, easy to park, and ordinary enough that I can drive the wheels off it without too much guilt... basically, the Cougar's opposite. I'm leaning towards a wagon or hatchback, because I have a lot of heavy equipment to haul around and I don't want to lift it up high to load it into the car if I can avoid it. I've only been thinking idly so far, no actual research has been done yet, but I have an eclectic assortment of cars in mind to look into when I have more money.

1. Honda Element - We've always had Hondas in my family, and I rather like the Element
    2. Honda Fit - Not sure if it has enough cargo space
    3. 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback - I've never been a big Mitsubishi fan, but I like this one. I don't know anything about it's reliability or fun-to-drive factor, but it suits my unconventional tastes. It's a wagon, which in my opinion is cool, and it sold poorly during the one or two years it was available in the US, so it's uncommon enough to stand out.
    4. Chrysler PT Cruiser - I've liked the PT Cruiser ever since it was first introduced
    5. Volkswagen Rabbit/GTI or Jetta wagon - I'm not really a Volkswagen guy, though
    I also might look into the Pontiac Vibe, Ford Focus wagon or hatchback, Jeep Compass, Mazda 6 wagon, Mercury Mariner (the closest thing to a wagon they've built recently), Subaru Impreza (ooh, or a Saab 9-2X, that'd be cool)... the list of possibilities goes on.

Or I could just learn how to drive a manual transmission and buy my dad's falling apart '95 Civic coupe.
    UCP's biggest (only?) fan of the '74-'76 Mercury Cougar.
    UCP's proudest owner of a '74 Cougar

My favorite color is chrome.

Gallardo.
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

a wrx wagon.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

I'd really love to build a Honda CB550 Cafe Racer type deal. That be totally kickass. I mean, The host of Two Guys Garage built one, and its I see it a relatively cheap and common bike, with parts all over the place and a fairly solid aftermarket. And, its a Honda. It'd make a great project.
    "Don't think your time on bad things
    Just float your little mind around"
    Jimi Hendrix

Thread Information