Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Acura NSX Concept 2012

Acura NSX Concept 2012

Acura NSX Concept

Acura NSX Concept

The dynamically-styled NSX Concept gives an indication of the next great performance vehicle from the Acura brand. Making use of lightweight materials and a mid-mounted V-6 engine, the NSX Concept employs several new technologies for Acura, including application of Acura’s innovative new Sport Hybrid SH-AWD® (Super Handling All Wheel Drive™) hybrid system.
    Utilizing a unique 2 Electric Motor Drive Unit with a bilateral torque adjustable control system, the all-new hybrid all-wheel-drive system can instantly generate negative or positive torque to the front wheels during cornering.

Acura anticipates the new Sport Hybrid SH-AWD® will deliver handling performance unmatched by previous AWD systems. In addition to the handling benefits of the Sport Hybrid SH-AWD® system, a powerful next-generation VTEC® V-6 engine with direct-injection works in concert with a dual clutch transmission with built-in electric motor to create supercar acceleration while offering outstanding efficiency.

“This Sport Hybrid SH-AWD system will make NSX the ultimate expression of Acura’s idea to create synergy between man and machine,” said Takanobu Ito, president and CEO of Honda Motor Co., Ltd. “The NSX will make the driver one with the car to enhance dynamic driving abilities without getting in the way.”

While most supercars opt for brute force delivered from a large engine, the NSX Concept champions the true racing philosophy of an extremely favorable power-to-weight ratio.

“Like the first NSX, we will again express high performance through engineering efficiency,” added Ito, who led the development of Acura’s first NSX supercar. “In this new era, even as we focus on the fun to drive spirit of the NSX, I think a supercar must respond positively to environmental responsibilities.”

The new Acura supercar, expected to debut in the next three years, will be developed by an engineering team led by Honda R&D Americas, Inc., and manufactured in Ohio, at a yet to be named facility.
    Length, mm: 4,330
    Width, mm: 1,895
    Height, mm: 1,160
    Wheelbase, mm: 2,575
    Wheel size, in: 19x9 (front), 20x10 (rear)
    Tire size: 255/35R19 (front), 275/30R20 (rear)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ecnelis; 01-09-2012 at 05:40 PM.

Acura NSX Concept #2

New Acura NSX Supercar to be Built in Ohio
    and Developed in the U.S.

Acura today announced at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit that an all-new Acura NSX supercar will be manufactured in Ohio. In addition, the new sports car will be developed in the U.S., including the Ohio Center of Honda R&D Americas, Inc. (HRA).

Honda Motor Co., Ltd. President and CEO Takanobu Ito unveiled a concept version of the Acura NSX today in Detroit. Although Acura is keeping most of the vehicle’s details under wraps, the new NSX will employ a lightweight chassis, a mid-mounted V-6 engine and Acura’s innovative new Sport Hybrid SH-AWD (Super Handling All Wheel Drive) system. Ito said the new supercar will come to market within three years.

Along with unveiling the NSX concept, Ito announced that it will be built in Ohio. Honda plans to produce the new supercar near its current auto production operations in central Ohio at a unique, advanced manufacturing operation. The original Acura NSX was built at Honda plants in Japan from 1990 to 2005.

“Honda associates are up to the challenge of producing the new NSX for global customers with a high degree of craftsmanship,” said Hidenobu Iwata, head of Honda’s North American manufacturing operations and president of Honda of America Mfg., Inc. “Honda associates in Ohio have been building high-quality Honda and Acura vehicles for nearly 30 years, so this news in many ways is a culmination of their determined efforts.”

A team from HRA Ohio Center will lead the continued design and development of the new vehicle. Headquartered in Torrance, Calif., Honda R&D Americas has major research and vehicle development operations in the Raymond, Ohio center, where much of the work on the NSX will take place.
    “We have a rich history of creating innovative new products for our customers in the U.S. and in markets around the world,” said Hiroshi Takemura, president of Honda R&D Americas, Inc. “The responsibility to develop the all-new Acura NSX demonstrates the maturity of our organization, the know-how of our associates and their ability to create an advanced and innovative supercar.”

About Honda Manufacturing in Ohio

Based on Honda’s longstanding commitment to “build products close to the customer” Honda opened its first auto plant in the U.S. nearly 30 years ago, on November 1, 1982, in Marysville, Ohio. Today, Honda builds more cars and light trucks in the state of Ohio than all other automakers combined. Honda has the capacity to build 680,000 passenger cars and light trucks at its two auto plants in Marysville and East Liberty, Ohio.

The company’s Anna, Ohio, engine plant, with capacity of 1.18 million units, is the largest automobile engine factory in Honda’s global production network. Honda also manufactures automatic transmissions in Russells Point, Ohio.
    Honda currently employs more than 13,500 Ohioans and has invested more than $8 billion in its extensive operations in the state. In addition, Honda annually purchases nearly $7 billion in parts and materials from more than 150 Ohio suppliers and more than $17.5 billion in parts and materials from more than 600 North American suppliers.

Honda has seven auto plants in North America with the overall capacity to manufacture 1.63 million automobiles. Using domestic and globally sourced parts, approximately 90 percent of the Honda and Acura products sold in the U.S. are built in North America.

About Honda R&D in Ohio

Honda began auto research and development in Ohio in 1985. Today, the Honda R&D Americas, Inc. Ohio Center is engaged in complete product creation, encompassing everything from market and technology research to engineering design, prototype fabrication and testing, local parts procurement, and support for mass production.

Honda’s U.S. R&D operations have developed 24 new models and are responsible for six vehicles in the company’s current U.S. product portfolio—the Honda Odyssey minivan, Pilot SUV, Ridgeline pickup, and the Acura TL, MDX and ZDX luxury-performance automobiles.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Not really liking what I'm seeing, but any high end sports car is better than none.

I was really hoping for a Lexus LF-A style of engineering, rather than a somewhat fuel efficient sports car.

Here is to hoping they might do something interesting with the whole hybrid concept.....Porsche GT3R Hybrid is proving that it can not just be a efficiency advantage, but actual performance gain as well with the ability to do braking and acceleration torque vectoring while supplementing braking performance....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

I'm most interested in seeing the full potential of the SH-AWD. Good to see another Japanese icon return!
    Buy a car for you, not for other people

Here's a good video from Honda of Japan showing the history of the car and renderings of it in motion (from Gran Turismo 5 I think).

http://youtu.be/P6lZE37gBzs

Interesting to note how much better it is without the Acura corporate grill.

JDM parts to the rescue!

Nice concept. Did you know that President Taft was not only the first United States president to use vehicles instead of horse and buggy, but that he also used an electric car? It's the type of stuff supporters of presidential car trivia must know. Dig in. Read more about US presidents and their cars, part 1 to fodder for your next presidential car trivia contest, courtesy of the Los Angeles Times.
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 02-08-2012 at 04:35 AM. Reason: NOt sure if intended spam for sit or not, but changed it to the LA link anyway as it includes pics :)

Don't like that car
    Current - 2005 Hyundai Tucson 2.0 GLS
    Current - 1998 Honda Civic 160i Luxline

Acura is teasing the car on Youtube, Instagram and Vine.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLXQ6ZzhFmU"]NSX Prototype Video - from NSX Snapchat Campaign - YouTube[/ame]

Instagram

Not sure what I think of it, it's still under development.

Honda sucks now NSX. I know you try, but you must go west! #V6Mustang

I'm mad at Honda bro.

Shame they can't get someone to hold their phone the right way when shooting video.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Is it just me, or this car is utterly boring?

Also, quite geeky.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Honda sucks now NSX. I know you try, but you must go west! #V6Mustang

I'm mad at Honda bro.
    Damn it, just let me be optimistic!

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    Shame they can't get someone to hold their phone the right way when shooting video.
    I know, that pissed me off too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Is it just me, or this car is utterly boring?

Also, quite geeky.
    It seems to be a lot like a GT-R in that sense.

And it sounds nothing like a V6, which makes me very suspicious.

This forum is full of old people....its ridiculous....

Hybrid = bad, high tech = bad, power anything = bad...

Seriously, quit being so predictably old...

Also it is a V6.
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Thread Information