Thread: Legendary Ferrari 156 'Sharknose' reborn and the latest news ...

Legendary Ferrari 156 'Sharknose' reborn and the latest news ...

In the late 1950s and early 1960s Ferrari upheld the policy to scrap redundant Formula 1 cars at the end of the season. One of the saddest results of this practice is that there are no examples left of the iconic Ferrari 156 'Sharknose' that propelled Phil Hill to the World Championship in 1961. Hill scored two wins and his team-mates piloted the V6-engined to three more victories in the other six races.
    In recent years several people have attempted to create accurate replicas of the legendary Ferrari Formula 1 car. This weekend, at the Goodwood Revival, Jan Biekens presented his Ferrari 156 'Sharknose', which is inspired by the car used by Olivier Gendebien in the 1961 Belgian Grand Prix. It was constructed over the last five years by Jim Stokes around an original engine and transmission. The end-result is absolutely stunning and despite being a replica, it was definitely one of the highlights at Goodwood. This 156 is probably the closest we will ever come to experiencing a Sharknose.
    Now that we have returned to the base, we can catch up with the recent new car releases. In Frankfurt Maserati previewed the GranTurismo MC Trofeo, which is set to hit the track next year. It is built specifically for Maserati's one-make series. Austrian manufacturer KTM used the final round of the British GT championship at Brands Hatch to test their upcoming X-Bow GT4 in anger. Unlike the previous racing version of the minimalistic racer, this car is further developed to full GT4 specification.
    This morning Land Rover confirmed it will produce the LRX that was shown in concept form at Detroit last year. The two-door cross-coupe will be the smallest car in the Land Rover line-up.
    Swedish supercar manufacturer Koenigsegg have created a very special edition of the 1018 bhp CCXR. Dubbed the Trevita, it features a silver carbon fibre body. Production is limited to just three examples.

Enjoy the links:

1961 - 1962 Ferrari 156 F1 'Sharknose' - Images, Specifications and Information

2009 Koenigsegg CCXR Trevita - Images, Specifications and Information

2010 KTM X-Bow GT4 - Images, Specifications and Information

2010 Land Rover LRX - Images, Specifications and Information

2010 Maserati GranTurismo MC Trofeo - Images, Specifications and Information

2009 Volkswagen E-Up! Concept - Images, Specifications and Information
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

some additional shots of the Sharknose
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Exquisite, bella machina. Where did they source an original engine and gearbox?!?
    And wasn't there at least one other replica built about 10 years ago or so, using a Dino V6?

I built a lovely 1:20 diecast kit years ago, and was fortunate enough to have Mr. Hill sign it at Cavallino in 1995 or so.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post

I built a lovely 1:20 diecast kit years ago, and was fortunate enough to have Mr. Hill sign it at Cavallino in 1995 or so.
    the Revival kit?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Yes, Revival. I bought several kits at once, still haven't finished the Lancia D50.
    The past 10 years or so have left me little time to work on the scale stuff.
    I have added plenty of 1:18 pieces though, mostly from CMC, as well as Auto Art and Exoto.

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    Yes, Revival. I bought several kits at once, still haven't finished the Lancia D50.
    nice, these are beautiful kits, with unique subjects, but a bit awkward to construct. Never ventured into the metal ones, did several plastic versions, and their quality made me suspicious whether the price of the metal ones could be justified.

No doubt, Revival kits require lots of fiddling and in the case of the metal kits, much flash removal and filing which is why the D50 remains unfinished.

Back to the replica 156: the one I referred to was built by Chris Rea, I've forgotten which publication did a story on it but it was awhile ago. It's nice, here's a photo:

Ferrari 156 formula1 "Sharknose", replica by Chris Rea

Thread Information