Thread: Three stars from the Monterey week and another three Frankfurt debuts ...

Three stars from the Monterey week and another three Frankfurt debuts ...

Five "pontoon-fendered" Ferrari sports racers out on track together during the Monterey Historic Races was one of the absolute highlights of the Monterey Motoring week last month. Making it even more special was the fact that not all of them were 250 TRs; amidst the three-litre engined racers was the ferocious 335 S. Powered by a 4.1 litre twin-cam V12 engine this very rare beast ranks among the most powerful front-engined racing cars of the period, producing in excess of 400 bhp. The unique machine is only very rarely seen in public and we captured every detail.
    At Pebble Beach the list of nominees for the much coveted 'Best of Show' featured just two cars; the winning Horch and this remarkable Siata 208 CS Stabilimenti Farina Spyder. This was the first time a post-war car was nominated into this very exclusive group. The small Fiat V8-engined has a lengthy history as a works car and during this period was modified from the more common coupe body-style to the very attractive 'Spyder' body it features today. Another fabulous machine entered at Pebble this Mercedes-Benz SSK Carlton Roadster. Acquired by the current owner for a record amount back in 2005, it has survived in absolutely original condition. Much to our surprise, it was only awarded a third in class.
    The all important Frankfurt motor show will open its doors in a fortnight and the list of new releases is growing rapidly. Porsche has revealed yet another world debut that will grace their stand; the 997 Sport Classic. Limited to just 250 examples, it is a tribute to some of the great Porsche 911s of the past and features a more powerful engine and unique styling cues like the built-in rear wing and 'Fuchs' wheels.
    Volvo's display will feature a completely revised version of the C70 tin-top convertible. The headlights, lifted off the recent XC60 concept, are the biggest changes compared to the outgoing version. Lexus have revealed the first glimpse of the LF-Ch Concept aimed to conquer the popular European hatchback market.

Enjoy the links:

1957 - 1958 Ferrari 335 S Scaglietti Spyder - Images, Specifications and Information

2009 Lexus LF-Ch Concept - Images, Specifications and Information

1929 Mercedes-Benz 710 SSK 27/180/250 hp Carlton Roadster - Images, Specifications and Information

2010 Porsche 997 Sport Classic - Images, Specifications and Information

1953 Siata 208 CS Stabilimenti Farina Spyder - Images, Specifications and Information

2010 Volvo C70 - Images, Specifications and Information
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Great update, W.
    I like the 911 SC. I am a sucker for flared arches and a mildly faster version to slot in between the others is nice. (I am one of those who think that 911s should be more than most of Porsche's range, so I don't believe in too many models and the alpha bet soup of names hasn't gotten so bad as to confuse me yet.
    The Siata is stunning. I love the simplicity of the design.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

the siata was amazing in person. a lot of people were surprised that it was up for BIS, but it deserved to be there. and it wasn't a crazy over-restoration like the Horch was.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Here's a shot with its eyes open on the lawn, and a rear view shot, when preparing for the Tour on thursday, (and yes, it is me above the right taillight).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Thread Information