Thread: Howmet TX turbine racer up close, the Mercedes SLS AMG revealed and more IAA news ...

Howmet TX turbine racer up close, the Mercedes SLS AMG revealed and more IAA news ...

The 1960s was a decade of experimentation and progress; also in racing. The engines were relocated, chassis design revolutionised and aerodynamics invented. Towards the end of the decade turbine engines seemed the next best thing and various jet-engined racing cars were built. One of the best known and most successful was the Howmet TX that was raced extensively in 1968. Funded by metal company Howmet, the mid-engined machine was developed by Ray Heppenstall with the help of Bob McKee. Two cars were built and they were raced at Sebring, Daytona and Le Mans. The TX managed to win two SCCA races and its class at the Watkins Glen round of the World Championship. Featured in our detailed article is the second car built that has recently been restored to full running order. It is pictured in action at Le Mans, Goodwood and the Nürburgring. This weekend this Howmet TX will be one of many exciting machines that will take to the track at the Silverstone finale of the Classic Endurance Racing Championship and Le Mans Series. More information can be found in our dedicated forum thread.
    Hot on the heels of the release of the new McLaren, Mercedes-Benz have revealed the full details of their upcoming SLS AMG. The new 'Gullwing' uses an advanced aluminium spaceframe chassis and AMG's quad-cam V8 built from the same material. Mercedes' new 571 bhp range-topper will accelerate to sixty in under four seconds and is electronically limited at 197 mph or 317 km/h.
    The Fiat Group uses Frankfurt to showcase their latest range of more efficient and more powerful 'MultiAir' engines. The most potent version of the 1.4 litre engine produces 170 bhp and can be found in the 695 Tributo Ferrari. In similar vein to Aston Martin's proposed Cygnet, the well equipped 695 Tributo can be used by Ferrari owners for trips their 2-metre wide monsters are not ideally suited for.

Enjoy the links:

2010 Alfa Romeo MiTo QV - Images, Specifications and Information

2009 Fiat Abarth 695 Tributo Ferrari - Images, Specifications and Information

1968 Howmet TX - Images, Specifications and Information

2009 Lexus LF-Ch Concept - Images, Specifications and Information

2010 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG - Images, Specifications and Information

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...t-11-13-a.html
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Some bonus shots of the Howmet, at the Ring a couple of weeks ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

sorta looks like a Chapparal 2D

Woah, it's that Mercedes thing!
    I think I like it. It's a bit strange, but it does combine some very old and very new features together very well. I think it's the retro effect that America took years to get right...those original retro 'Stangs were horrendous.
    All about the t-tops

I've seen many cars like this but this one have a unique style and design,very impressive.

Thread Information