Go to Ultimatecarpage.com

Go Back   Ultimatecarpage.com forums > Automotive forums > General Automotive


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-09-2011, 11:26 AM
FastDriver FastDriver is offline
Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 411
Diesel cars in America

I am getting really annoyed... I want a Diesel Audi or Merc or Jaguar, but look at what I have to chose from here in the US

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/Cars-Tru...5.l1513&_pgn=1

This is so rediculous! I cant believe with all these stupid hybrid cars and trucks they are making that they can't supply us with a decent alternative. Most people know that Diesel cars have much better gas mileage than a hybrid. In Europe they have so many to chose from. Why Is America being such a communist?!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-09-2011, 11:51 AM
Ferrer's Avatar
Ferrer Ferrer is offline
Furniture
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 33,277
Barcelona
Send a message via MSN to Ferrer
I have frankly never understood why US car enthusiasts like diesels so much.

They, that are able to avoid them...
__________________
Lack of charisma can be fatal.
Visca Catalunya!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-09-2011, 11:59 AM
FastDriver FastDriver is offline
Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
I have frankly never understood why US car enthusiasts like diesels so much.

They, that are able to avoid them...
What are you talking about? They are so much better on gas. Why would you not want one for a family car? I was looking on UK ebay website and its about 50/50 for petrol and diesel. I don't understan why Americans want us to have cars with poor gas mileage... Pretty much all we have to chose from is a Mercedes E class 320/330/350 or a VW Jetta... thats pretty sad. The Jaguar diesel is an excellent car...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-09-2011, 12:14 PM
Ferrer's Avatar
Ferrer Ferrer is offline
Furniture
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 33,277
Barcelona
Send a message via MSN to Ferrer
When your fuel tank costs a million to fill up, you buy a tiny little diesel hatchback. Like commie euros do.

When your fuel tank costs tupence to fill up, you buy a massive V8-engined truck. Like yanks do.

Frankly I still don't understand the obsesion US car enthusiasts have with diesel.

Oh and by the way, if you are a proper petrol head you can't have a Jag with a diesel. It's missing completely the point of the car.
__________________
Lack of charisma can be fatal.
Visca Catalunya!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-09-2011, 12:34 PM
RacingManiac's Avatar
RacingManiac RacingManiac is offline
Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 5,457
I think up to some price point people ceased to care about fuel economy and diesel makes less sense....I think that point is about where the E class/5 series diesel sits....

We(North American) are generally lacking in diesel options IMO in smaller cars. The mid-range car we can get them in diesels now if you buy European. Big diesels(Q7 V12, Tourag V10...etc) are probably niche even in EU that it makes even less sense here.
__________________
University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
www.fsae.utoronto.ca
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-09-2011, 12:45 PM
henk4's Avatar
henk4 henk4 is offline
Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 27,312
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
When your fuel tank costs a million to fill up, you buy a tiny little diesel hatchback. Like commie euros do.

When your fuel tank costs tupence to fill up, you buy a massive V8-engined truck. Like yanks do.

Frankly I still don't understand the obsesion US car enthusiasts have with diesel.

Oh and by the way, if you are a proper petrol head you can't have a Jag with a diesel. It's missing completely the point of the car.
This commie euro has just bought a C3 Ehdi (as a second car) which promises an average of 22-23 km liter. More details when it will arrive later this month.
The other diesel this commie euro is driving behaves exactly like the majority of US drivers appreciate, lots of low end torque and spirited acceleration (to a certain extent) when needed, but also doing 15-16 km per liter on average.

Yesterday this commie euro was driving his wife's petrol Stilo for a longer trip and the sound of the engine is really annoying and you actually have to rev it to get some proper progress. Revving is soooo 20th century....

and yes, I might end up one day with having the Jaguar diesel in a new C5.....but that is really communist thinking because it only comes with an autobox.
__________________
"I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-09-2011, 12:57 PM
Ferrer's Avatar
Ferrer Ferrer is offline
Furniture
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 33,277
Barcelona
Send a message via MSN to Ferrer
It's funny you mention revving up Pieter, since my V6 sits comfortably at 1200-1400rpm even in 5th, while pretty much all diesels I've driven (that I can remember) only start to pull from 2000rpm.

As for NVH, well there's really no contest is there? Especially the cheaper you go.

By the way, the Jag diesel isn't a Jag diesel. Jag borrowed it from PSA-Ford.
__________________
Lack of charisma can be fatal.
Visca Catalunya!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-09-2011, 01:06 PM
henk4's Avatar
henk4 henk4 is offline
Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 27,312
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
It's funny you mention revving up Pieter, since my V6 sits comfortably at 1200-1400rpm even in 5th, while pretty much all diesels I've driven (that I can remember) only start to pull from 2000rpm.

As for NVH, well there's really no contest is there? Especially the cheaper you go.

By the way, the Jag diesel isn't a Jag diesel. Jag borrowed it from PSA-Ford.
Well, the C5 pulls away easily in sixth from 1300-1400 revs....and I belief so does your car, but mine does it for half the fuel costs.....
and yes, I know what the Jag diesel is, but I wanted Fastdriver to wonder about that....

what NVH is, escapes me at the moment.
__________________
"I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-09-2011, 01:07 PM
RacingManiac's Avatar
RacingManiac RacingManiac is offline
Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 5,457
Noise, Vibration and Harshness
__________________
University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
www.fsae.utoronto.ca
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-09-2011, 01:09 PM
henk4's Avatar
henk4 henk4 is offline
Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 27,312
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
Noise, Vibration and Harshness
Ah, yes, something that does not apply to my car at all.....hence probably my ignorance.
__________________
"I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-09-2011, 01:10 PM
Ferrer's Avatar
Ferrer Ferrer is offline
Furniture
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 33,277
Barcelona
Send a message via MSN to Ferrer
Quote:
Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
Well, the C5 pulls away easily in sixth from 1300-1400 revs....and I belief so does your car, but mine does it for half the fuel costs.....
Probably less than half...
Quote:
Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
and yes, I know what the Jag diesel is, but I wanted Fastdriver to wonder about that....
I guess now that he knows it's actually a french engine it has become shit...
__________________
Lack of charisma can be fatal.
Visca Catalunya!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-09-2011, 01:12 PM
henk4's Avatar
henk4 henk4 is offline
Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 27,312
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post

I guess now that he knows it's actually a french engine it has become shit...
good point.
__________________
"I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-09-2011, 02:14 PM
FastDriver FastDriver is offline
Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 411
You all have completely lost me. I am talking bout fuel economy for a family car. Not high performance or being fun to drive. I want a car that I can comfortably take my wife and 2 kids from point A to point B and get 50 - 60 mpg and still have the luxory of a mercedies, audi or bmw. forget about the rest of that crap. If i wanted something fun to drive Id drive a sports car with a petrol engine and manual gear box...
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-09-2011, 02:35 PM
henk4's Avatar
henk4 henk4 is offline
Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 27,312
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDriver View Post
You all have completely lost me. I am talking bout fuel economy for a family car. Not high performance or being fun to drive. I want a car that I can comfortably take my wife and 2 kids from point A to point B and get 50 - 60 mpg and still have the luxory of a mercedies, audi or bmw. forget about the rest of that crap. If i wanted something fun to drive Id drive a sports car with a petrol engine and manual gear box...
What you want is C5...(see my avatar) that was what I was talking about. And in combination with the fuel economy it has a ride that your German brands can only dream of.
__________________
"I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-09-2011, 02:38 PM
Ferrer's Avatar
Ferrer Ferrer is offline
Furniture
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 33,277
Barcelona
Send a message via MSN to Ferrer
With ridicolous fuel prices? Why?

Also a smooth ride goes perfectly together with a silent enigne.
__________________
Lack of charisma can be fatal.
Visca Catalunya!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
UK police replacing the Imprezas with Lexus IS-F cruisers 4wheelsonline General Automotive 112 10-14-2009 07:25 AM
if americans like torque, why not buy diesel engined cars? teatako General Automotive 157 01-06-2007 01:24 PM
The fastest street cars in america rev440 Multimedia 7 11-27-2006 07:39 PM
Pixar Cars 90ft Multimedia 25 06-08-2006 08:03 AM
RWD diesel powered cars QBridge Car comparison 41 11-07-2005 01:17 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:56 AM.

 

1998 - 2019 Ultimatecarpage.com