Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: $2,000,000 for a Cuda!?

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAdv
    You're right, a car IS worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

My issue with this is that generally premiums in price come from what the automotive community considers worthy of bringing such premiums. Cars collectively thought of highly because of winning race heritage or masterpiece builds like Duesenberg and Figoni and Flash cars.

The only thing the 'Cuda has is that there were 14 built. Unlike nicer cars of its ilk, the ZL1 Camaro used an all-aluminum engine, the 'Cuda makes do with a mundane big block iron lump. Not to nit-pick details but the bottom line is there is nothing that special about a Hemi 'Cuda.

The 2 mil is only because muscle cars are an all-American invention and are honored as revered ancestors at auctions. To me this frenzied pricing is no different than: an Elvis fan paying 2 mil for a petrified turd from the King or a lock of his hair...
    The engine was very acceptable to mods who cares about the engine it was 30 years ago. But anyways id rather have a copo camaro.
    UCP biggest mustang lover

To me this frenzied pricing is no different than: an Elvis fan paying 2 mil for a petrified turd from the King or a lock of his hair...
    ^^

another Elvis relic ..
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...1/s1553872.htm

The only thing the 'Cuda has is that there were 14 built. Unlike nicer cars of its ilk, the ZL1 Camaro used an all-aluminum engine, the 'Cuda makes do with a mundane big block iron lump. Not to nit-pick details but the bottom line is there is nothing that special about a Hemi 'Cuda.
    The 'Cuda's engine (the 426-Hemi) is hardly a "mudane big block iron lump." It is essentially a detuned racing engine. This means several things. For one, it can take more abuse on the street than a regular engine which has been modified. Flooring it from every red light won't hurt it and just may make it run even better! Because it was designed as a race engine, it has a very strong bottom end. It is an engine which can be modified to put out 700-750 horsepower on pump gas and unblown (not supercharged). It is the street version of the most successful drag racing engine in history. There are very few engines which can use heavy 90% to 98% nitro loads better than the Hemi.

Back to the Street Hemi, Chrysler engineers knew that those who bought them would not drive them hard ocassionally, but often. So the street versions retained many of the features which the race Hemi had, such as a forged-steel crank, cross-bolted main-bearing caps, beefier forgings with 7/16" bolts, roller timing chain, high-output oil pump, deep-sump oil pan and a special water pump.

That is what makes the Hemi-'Cuda special. Not so much the car, but the engine.
    Last edited by Fleet 500; 01-25-2006 at 01:49 PM.
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500
    i agree...but why not just buy a nice Cuda and drop in a crate Hemi?
    http://www.mopar.com/muscle/whatshot1005.htm

yeah, takes a bit of work (not that you wont just hire a shop to do it anyways) to put the engine in...but in the end you save a TON of money

i understand that some people want the original thing...but $2mil ???
    i suppose its a bit of the same mentality of the people that pay millions for an old painting...even though they could just buy a fake
    Last edited by BMW325; 01-25-2006 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BMW325
    i agree...but why not just buy a nice Cuda and drop in a crate Hemi?
    http://www.mopar.com/muscle/whatshot1005.htm

yeah, takes a bit of work (not that you wont just hire a shop to do it anyways) to put the engine in...but in the end you save a TON of money

i understand that some people want the original thing...but $2mil ???
    i suppose its a bit of the same mentality of the people that pay millions for an old painting...even though they could just buy a fake
    Oh, yeah. I certainly agree that $2 million is an outrageous price. And if I really wanted a 'Cuda with a Hemi I would have no choice but to do as you said.

Quote Originally Posted by nota
    I will now always lookout for whale vomit on my beach walks
    What does it look like?
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Oh please ............... guys showing guys that they have more money than the next guy ........ common EH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500
    The 'Cuda's engine (the 426-Hemi) is hardly a "mudane big block iron lump." It is essentially a detuned racing engine. This means several things. For one, it can take more abuse on the street than a regular engine which has been modified. Flooring it from every red light won't hurt it and just may make it run even better! Because it was designed as a race engine, it has a very strong bottom end. It is an engine which can be modified to put out 700-750 horsepower on pump gas and unblown (not supercharged). It is the street version of the most successful drag racing engine in history. There are very few engines which can use heavy 90% to 98% nitro loads better than the Hemi.

Back to the Street Hemi, Chrysler engineers knew that those who bought them would not drive them hard ocassionally, but often. So the street versions retained many of the features which the race Hemi had, such as a forged-steel crank, cross-bolted main-bearing caps, beefier forgings with 7/16" bolts, roller timing chain, high-output oil pump, deep-sump oil pan and a special water pump.

Ok, I see. The Hemi is an awesome engine, as is the Mopar 318 which is almost unkillable. Still, the fact that Hemis are good has little to do with how much the 'Cuda sold for. You can buy a crate Hemi, one that's better than the original for less than $10K.

I guess if people want to speculate in cars there's no crime in that. It's just the initial shock of how rediculously high these prices are getting makes you react with a huge, WHY?

There is something to say about it being original, although you could build one
    with a crate engine as it would be the way to go for the average enthusiast, but it is originality that brings the big money at auctions.

BMW325, I mostly agree except about the paintings that sell for millions, they are unique irreplacable pieces of art created by a handful of long gone geniuses.

Ok, I see. The Hemi is an awesome engine, as is the Mopar 318 which is almost unkillable. Still, the fact that Hemis are good has little to do with how much the 'Cuda sold for. You can buy a crate Hemi, one that's better than the original for less than $10K.

I guess if people want to speculate in cars there's no crime in that. It's just the initial shock of how rediculously high these prices are getting makes you react with a huge, WHY?

BMW325, I mostly agree except about the paintings that sell for millions, they are unique irreplacable pieces of art created by a handful of long gone geniuses.
    Well, there are some differences between a Hemi and the 318 (like about 240 more horsepower for the Hemi and a 4-5 second faster 1/4 mile!). And yes I do agree that a crate engine is a good alternative. I've seen a few at car shows. One guy put in a 572-cu-in V-8 into a '70 or '71 Chevy El Camino.

And I agree... I wish those prices weren't so high because if they weren't, I could afford to buy a '69 Dodge Coronet R/T 440 (which currently sell for $15,000-30,000 for good examples).

Hemicuda's are irreplacable (in a way) because that body style is not made anymore and neither is the original Hemi engine.

I will now always lookout for whale vomit on my beach walks
    What does it look like?
    Was a pic of it in yesterday's paper, a black goey concretion 1 metre x 60cm. The finders described it as a foul smelling solidified lump of gunk that reeked of faeces. The wife said: "It smelled bad enough that I wouldn't let Leon put it in my Suzuki, it was oozing grease like sump oil"

Mostly used in perfumes, also food, wine & remedies etc. Apparently ambergris (or eau de spew) is released by only 1% of sperm whales. Comprised of compacted squid heads and krill residue etc which "results from a massive belch that can be heard for kilometres away"

Fleet500 are these Hemi engines pretty much race spec? As in very light pistons/valve train/flywheel, or are they closer to a really high road spec with heaver parts for smoothness and longevity?
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

Was a pic of it in yesterday's paper, a black goey concretion 1 metre x 60cm. The finders described it as a foul smelling solidified lump of gunk that reeked of faeces. The wife said: "It smelled bad enough that I wouldn't let Leon put it in my Suzuki, it was oozing grease like sump oil"

Mostly used in perfumes, also food, wine & remedies etc. Apparently ambergris (or eau de spew) is released by only 1% of sperm whales. Comprised of compacted squid heads and krill residue etc which "results from a massive belch that can be heard for kilometres away"
    Until now I had no idea such delicate uses could come from such an excretion. I found this NZ site that is pretty informative. Seems Oceania islands are prime locations for Ambergris, evidence this New Zealand website...

http://www.ambergris.co.nz/

Until now I had no idea such delicate uses could come from such an excretion. I found this NZ site that is pretty informative. Seems Oceania islands are prime locations for Ambergris, evidence this New Zealand website...

http://www.ambergris.co.nz/
    Within the philosophical and juxtapositional, our successful thread-meld of these two grossly overpriced yet eerily comparable rarities (whale barf & Hemi 'Cudas) is very zen don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyco
    Fleet500 are these Hemi engines pretty much race spec? As in very light pistons/valve train/flywheel, or are they closer to a really high road spec with heaver parts for smoothness and longevity?
    Chrysler didn't do too much to make it streetable. Basically it was:

- Compression ratio, lowered from 12.5:1 to 10.25:1.
    - Cam timing and valve train. Used a milder-grind camshaft with 276 degree duration and 0.460-in lift.
    - Exhaust manifolds. They were cast iron compared to the open, tubular steel manifolds on the race Hemi.
    - Heated intake manifold with two in-line 4 bbl carbs. The race Hemis had staggered carbs. The heated intake manifold allowed Street Hemi cars to opearte in cold weather. (Two steel inlet and return tubes brought exhaust heat from the right manifold.)
    - Progressive throttle linkage. Up to 60 or 70 mph, cruising was done on the front barrels of the rear carb only. When these throttles were 40% open, the front barrels of the front carb started to open. The rear secondary air valves of both carbs were controlled by airflow- they gradually opened as flow through the primary barrels increased. All eight barrels opened in the 3-4,000 rpm range.

As far as I know, the pistons, valve train and flywheel are the same as in the race Hemi.

Within the philosophical and juxtapositional, our successful thread-meld of these two grossly overpriced yet eerily comparable rarities (whale barf & Hemi 'Cudas) is very zen don't you think?
    Definitely. In the never-ending search for possessing the best, lost in abject materialism, and in coming full circle cashing in on whale spew. Man's free will has taken him on a wild ride. On one end of the spectrum, revering oxidizing ferric contraptions which consume fossil fuels and spew pollutants and on other end valuing the spew itself. Perhaps the more zen is valuing Ambergris as it represents the full circle of life, from plankton to krill to fish to squid to accumulating in a whale's gut, then collected by man to relish in its utter material worldliness.

Thread Information