Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: I need assistance from all petrolheads on this forum

Can anybody help me to a few sites where i can advertise the jaguar...
    I'm just an oldhustler trapped in a hotrodders world
    I have been doing so much with so little for so long I can do anything with nothing.
    Fiberglass is traditional.From Malmesbury,South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    I don't want Charger for a roadcourse - it is not built for that and frankly not many people track their cars anyway. I want it to blast on the highway, to do burnouts, and to shred tires. Franky, I don't want the Benz for the track either.

If I want a track car, and I would, I would want something completely different.

Who cares that the Charger would get eaten on the track it's not even built for that - you can probably fit five people in that car comfortably and drive it every day where weather permits and at the time, gotten parts for cheap etc etc.

But you knew all that.
    That's just childish. Typical american... "a car is made to go in a straight line, destroy tires and drink gasoline as if it was the last day in history! Heeehawww!!!" :|
    Powered by passion, driven by knowledge

Time went past, since i've last posted about the project. I contacted a friend about the rims on the car i want to copy, and send him a pic of the car, so that he can identify the rims. I want the car to be as close to the original as possible.

He phoned me back after a week and told me to come and collect my rims. Got there and the excact rims with good tyres on the table. I couldnt tell my luck.

Well i fitted the rims, and decided i will need to space them up a bit to get a better stance. You will see on the original car that it's a bit wider. My calculations show about an inch. So i need to do some engineering here.

This is what the car look like at the moment. The original car was named Rote Sau, this one is named Fat Anna
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by willysjeep; 01-13-2009 at 09:04 AM. Reason: hooked middle finger
    I have been doing so much with so little for so long I can do anything with nothing.

Another pic on the rims

I also made the brackets for the spotlights and fitted them. Amazing how much work there is only to bolt on, remove ,alter, fit again etc. Kept me busy for a Saturday afternoon. And i always maintained that if i wanted to work on a Saturday i would have bought myself a Land Rover Defender.

Just for the sake of fitting the lights i used the same size spotlights. The bottom one will be much bigger than the other one.

Quote Originally Posted by willysjeep View Post
    Well i fitted the rims, and decided i will need to space them up a bit to get a better stance. You will see on the original car that it's a bit wider. My calculations show about an inch. So i need to do some engineering here.
    As the W108s are now 40+ years old, be aware that this model has become known for snapping its lower A-arms (ie total failure) with sometimes disasterous results

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    As the W108s are now 40+ years old, be aware that this model has become known for snapping its lower A-arms (ie total failure) with sometimes disasterous results
    Never heard of that. Do you think it can be reinforced. Is it the casting that give way or what???

Never heard of that. Do you think it can be reinforced. Is it the casting that give way or what???
    Your tough SA environment (similar to ours) made me think of it.

I'm sure I saw two threads about it in Oz M-B forums but I only found this one (you need to join to see the pics). The other thread was considerably more detailed iirc, possibly the MB-NSW club site?

Anyway there's some good general W108/9 info in this ozbenz site (btw their forum sponsor is an excellent MB parts source)

Thanx for the info Nota. I will join there

Thanx for the info Nota. I will join there
    Nota,
    Cant seem to join there. There is no 'register'button on the forumface and nowhere to find an email adress to ask. Are you a member there???

What did you do with the Jag?
    Did you buy it?

Quote Originally Posted by LotusLocost View Post
    What did you do with the Jag?
    Did you buy it?
    No i did not buy it and then the owner asked me to sell it for him, which i'm still trying to do. But on a car like that you need to campaign it first and then sell it. It's difficult to sell when it is in storage.

Nota,
    Cant seem to join there. There is no 'register'button on the forumface and nowhere to find an email adress to ask. Are you a member there???
    Hmm that is weird .. wonder how long it'll take until they notice

I cant help, sorry .. try emailing the forum sponsor?

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    Hmm that is weird .. wonder how long it'll take until they notice

I cant help, sorry .. try emailing the forum sponsor?
    Yes i did and came right. They send me this mail

Hello Basie, unfortunately you picked a bad time to try and register. We have just done a system upgrade, but it has stuffed up some of the registrations, unfortunately we have had to suspend any new registrations until it is fixed, should only be a few days. See below for a note from our techs, the race car sounds interesting…!

To: John Green <[email protected]> (Webmaster)
    Contact Email: [email protected]
    Contact Name: Basie Roode
    Telephone Number:
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    I would like to join and register on the forum, but there do not seem to be a place to register. Is it a closed forum or what. I am busy copying a racecar of the past and would like to gain and give information. Can you help or guide me to someone that can help __________________________________________________ _______________

Thanks,

John Green Member Institute Automotive Mechanical Engineers

Australia's leading Mercedes-Benz website Ph 1300 787 300

Free Mercedes-Benz forum OZBENZ - Australian Mercedes-Benz Forums &bull; Index page

Sent: Wednesday, 14 January 2009 5:38 PM
    To: John Green (M.B Spares); Ross MacDonald; Bruce Taylor; Des; Christopher Kahler
    Subject: OZBENZ user registrations are disabled - FYI

Guys,
    There appears to be a problem with the forum software & user registrations despite the upgrade to current version.

the existing issue where there were apparent 'illegal characters' in users' registration names (despite this not being the case), is still happening.

I will be checking this out in more detail tonight. I have disabled new user registrations until the issue can be corrected.

If anyone asks why, please indicate the issue is being addressed and will be resolved asap.

Joe.

Thread Information