Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ferrer Sucks and the North American Car Market and Fits Rock

Ferrer Sucks and the North American Car Market and Fits Rock

Your move dear friend.

I dunno what I've gotten myself into and I may find myself changing my mind but this should be fun.

Post whore.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

I'll try being mature.

Only the Pony cars are somewhat interesting. You don't have many small cars to choose from, and in the real world of narrow roads and speed limits you can have some damn fun in them. You say the Fit is all you'll ever need (can't be bothered about the toy car) and that it's fine but it isn't. Not compared to a 500 Abarth or a Twingo RS.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

For the price of a 500 Abarth or a Twingo RS you could have a much more fun pony car Ferrer, or a Genesis Coupe. You say there's more to the difference in prices than the exchange rate, but I think we should look up a PPP pay rate somehow - you're in economics you know more about this than I do.

Where else in the world do you get a better combination of cars and value than in the NA? Are you telling me that if you were a gearhead you'd prefer to live in Europe than in North America where cars are cheap, sexy, and gas is way less?

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    Post whore.
    Quiet you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    ( . )( . ) Tits, GTF In.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I'll try being mature.
    As will I... mostly. I hope you liked the thread title.
    Last edited by Kitdy; 05-20-2009 at 02:34 PM.

We don't have interesting superminis, we don't have hot hatches (at least not as many as Europe has, far less), we don't have Alfa's, no Citroën's, no Renault's (except for Renault 5's but dear god let's forget we do shall we), no Fiat's, no SEAT's...

AND THE LIST GOES ON *use And the Beat Goes on by The Whipers here for additional effect*

Seriously, I certainly wouldn't have ended up with an Aveo if we had as many choices as Europeans do in the cheap cars field.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    For the price of a 500 Abarth or a Twingo RS you could have a much more fun pony car Ferrer, or a Genesis Coupe. You say there's more to the difference in prices than the exchange rate, but I think we should look up a PPP pay rate somehow - you're in economics you know more about this than I do.

Where else in the world do you get a better combination of cars and value than in the NA? Are you telling me that if you were a gearhead you'd prefer to live in Europe than in North America where cars are cheap, sexy, and gas is way less?
    Cars are cheap. And bland. And boring. And it's difficult to find manuals.

I doubt a Twingo RS costs the same as a Genesis Coupe or a Mustang. And trust me on this you could have a lot of fun in it. Don't dismiss it because it's a front wheel drive econobox. Front wheel drive econoboxes can be fun. More fun than BMWs.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by fisetdavid26 View Post
    Seriously, I certainly wouldn't have ended up with an Aveo if we had as many choices as Europeans do in the cheap cars field.
    If you lived in Europe, you'd have paid one and a half times what you paid for the Aveo for an equivalent car.

I'd take the Aveo at 2/3rds the price.

This debate you guys are having will end up being something similar to a Republican and a Democrat trying to convince one another that their party is superior. North America and Europe have entirely different styles of motoring. There's a reason that the Mustang thrives in the states while cars like the Abarth essesse are adored in Europe. Over the past decade or so it's become a bit more diluted with entrances of the Mini and Smart in America while cars in general have grown to accomodate safety and creature comforts. With that came masses of weight thrown about that doesn't bode well on European B-roads -- if that's the correct term -- that require handling finesse and a short wheelbase, a problem that Americans don't often encounter.

You both probably understand this but thought I'd throw it in the air to get my stance in. I see no reason to pick a favorite. For a small car, I'd buy Japanese or Korean, mid-size would probably be American, luxo/full-size would be European. The world has a fetish with brand or idealistic polarities that I never could fully understand. Non-partisanship is a tough mindset to find these days.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Cars are cheap. And bland. And boring. And it's difficult to find manuals.

I doubt a Twingo RS costs the same as a Genesis Coupe or a Mustang. And trust me on this you could have a lot of fun in it. Don't dismiss it because it's a front wheel drive econobox. Front wheel drive econoboxes can be fun. More fun than BMWs.
    You didn't answer my question first off - where would you prefer to live fomr a gearhead perspective?

Fine, maybe a Twingo RS isn't as much as a Genesis or Mustang, but would you rather pay for a Mustang here and get so much more or pay for a Twingo there and get so much less? Where's Rasmus when you need him...

We really need a purchasing power parity price comparison.

My point in general is, we miss out on a lot of the smaller/"cheap" European cars and they may be cheaper there but for some more, you can get a lot more fun. Don't forget, we also have cheap BMWs' Mercs, Infinintis (I'd say Audi but you hate them and I'm not so warm on them).

Beyond that, a car like a 911 is a veritable bargain compared to European 911 prices.

In Canada, the average hourly wage is 18 and change an hour, do you know what that would be in Euros for Catalunya for example?

Quote Originally Posted by kitdy View Post

( . )( . ) tits, gtf in.
    ( . Y . )
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

This debate you guys are having will end up being something similar to a Republican and a Democrat trying to convince one another that their party is superior. North America and Europe have entirely different styles of motoring. There's a reason that the Mustang thrives in the states while cars like the Abarth essesse are adored in Europe. Over the past decade or so it's become a bit more diluted with entrances of the Mini and Smart in America while cars in general have grown to accomodate safety and creature comforts. With that came masses of weight thrown about that doesn't bode well on European B-roads -- if that's the correct term -- that require handling finesse and a short wheelbase, a problem that Americans don't often encounter.

You both probably understand this but thought I'd throw it in the air to get my stance in. I see no reason to pick a favorite. For a small car, I'd buy Japanese or Korean, mid-size would probably be American, luxo/full-size would be European. The world has a fetish with brand or idealistic polarities that I never could fully understand. Non-partisanship is a tough mindset to find these days.
    I like the Mustang it's cheap, simple and fun.

However I'm sure that in the US there are places where there some excellent mountain and country roads. On that basis a Abarth 500 SS could still be great there. I'm sure that also the US has a lot of congested cities, where city cars would come in handy.
    Visca Catalunya!

This debate you guys are having will end up being something similar to a Republican and a Democrat trying to convince one another that their party is superior.
    etc...

The thing is, as gas prices rise again after the economic disaster, we wills tart getting those small European cars and they will cost a fraction of what they retail for in Europe. With FIAT coming here, we may well get the 500, and the Fiesta i s already on it's way over so North America is going to become more and more the best of both worlds as time goes forward and global architectures become more prevalent for automakers.

Ferrer, you're still dodging where you'd rather live form a gearhead perspective. Also consider North America's (especially SoCal's) excellent used car market...

You didn't answer my question first off - where would you prefer to live fomr a gearhead perspective?

Fine, maybe a Twingo RS isn't as much as a Genesis or Mustang, but would you rather pay for a Mustang here and get so much more or pay for a Twingo there and get so much less? Where's Rasmus when you need him...

We really need a purchasing power parity price comparison.

My point in general is, we miss out on a lot of the smaller/"cheap" European cars and they may be cheaper there but for some more, you can get a lot more fun. Don't forget, we also have cheap BMWs' Mercs, Infinintis (I'd say Audi but you hate them and I'm not so warm on them).

Beyond that, a car like a 911 is a veritable bargain compared to European 911 prices.

In Canada, the average hourly wage is 18 and change an hour, do you know what that would be in Euros for Catalunya for example?
    I prefer Europe, not for the expensive cars, you do have point in that, but for the bread and butter cars.

A Twingo RS isn't less than a Mustang what it is, is different. Rocke makes an excellent point. I'm not dismissing American cars, as I said I like the Mustang and I wish they sold them here. But what if you need a family car? Would you choose an Insignia OPC or an Impala SS?

Yes you get cheaper expensive cars, but that's just a small part of the motoring world, there's much more to be considered.
    Visca Catalunya!

However I'm sure that in the US there are places where there some excellent mountain and country roads. On that basis a Abarth 500 SS could still be great there. I'm sure that also the US has a lot of congested cities, where city cars would come in handy.
    It's too much of a hassle to drive 50+ miles just to find those roads. Plus if you live in the Midwest United States, forget about it. City driving isn't too much of an issue, the roads accomodate larger cars fairly well. This is especially true if you consider the size of an American taxi in the Crown Victoria. It's not a small car and they're littered about urban areas.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Thread Information