Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mazda MX-5 (ND) 2014-

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    No, I don't like convertibles either. When the S2000 went away, I was hoping that they'd come out with a coupe version, kind of like the Z4 coupe.
    I absolutely love the hardtop conversions that people bolt on to their S2Ks. How could you not like something like this?

I took this picture at a tuner show (went with my brother, he's got a Sentra Spec-V with some mods on it) Not sure anyone on here is into the tuner stuff but if anyone wants I can post some other pics in another thread
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrafan427 View Post
    I absolutely love the hardtop conversions that people bolt on to their S2Ks. How could you not like something like this?

I took this picture at a tuner show (went with my brother, he's got a Sentra Spec-V with some mods on it) Not sure anyone on here is into the tuner stuff but if anyone wants I can post some other pics in another thread
    I didn't say I don't like the S2000 or the hard tops, I just wanted a true coupe version come from Honda. It seems like a good way to drum up extra sales, the S800 also came in coupe and convertible form.

Way OT rant: As we have discussed many times, Honda has lost the plot. They are not the beautifully simple company that embraced racing and enthusiasts under Sochiro's vision (they sold craptons of cars like this too); they are just ambling around, resting on their laurels as Toyota. Toyota's saving grace is hybrid technology, if that is your thing. The Autoblog podcast is further biasing me against hybrids; full EV, or gasoline/diesel. No heavy half measures. I still commend a pantheon of technologies to embraced to see what is the most efficient way forward.

The Miata/MX-5 remains true to Mazda, and true to what it is. It'll probably be a peach to drive. My friend just bought a 3, my brother and his friend have 3s too, and I drive my family's one. Mazda is the isht. I'm all up in that Kool-Aid.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Way OT rant: As we have discussed many times, Honda has lost the plot. They are not the beautifully simple company that embraced racing and enthusiasts under Sochiro's vision (they sold craptons of cars like this too); they are just ambling around, resting on their laurels as Toyota. Toyota's saving grace is hybrid technology, if that is your thing. The Autoblog podcast is further biasing me against hybrids; full EV, or gasoline/diesel. No heavy half measures. I still commend a pantheon of technologies to embraced to see what is the most efficient way forward.

The Miata/MX-5 remains true to Mazda, and true to what it is. It'll probably be a peach to drive. My friend just bought a 3, my brother and his friend have 3s too, and I drive my family's one. Mazda is the isht. I'm all up in that Kool-Aid.
    I've been rather disappointed in Honda/Acura's lineup. The NSX may as well be vaporware, no one remembers a car unveiled 3 years ago.

But then again, this is not the thread to discuss it in...

Reduced the weight.
    Quickened up the steering.
    Shortened the body, slightly increased the wheelbase.
    All the things you do to make a fast sportscar

On the looks the side I have come to like the more for looking at a comparisons someone suggested with recent alfa prototypes. The rear and tail is fantastic. nose is one of those which is acceptable given it has to carry signature Mazda look

But it's a winner because it's lighter, faster, nimbler .... on paper.
    Have already told them I want one for tests
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Needs a rotary though...

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post

But it's a winner because it's lighter, faster, nimbler .... on paper.
    Have already told them I want one for tests
    Think it'll be quicker than your RX-8?

yep, the 8 weighs 1500K with me and race fuel in it
    The Hamster Racing Mk 2 MX5 is 1100kg in same trim.

For hills and sprints that hurts. Long track/circuit got em beat all the way, but in our short tight stuff the 8 is just too big, too long wheelbase, too heavy.
    BUT its loads of fun and handles a wee bit better.
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 09-19-2014 at 05:18 AM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Nyehhhh...

Since we've established UCP is a safe place (in truth, I rarely see such civilized debate on a car forum, let alone the internet) I want to admit I'm not keen on dedicated roadsters. A coupe with a convertible variant? Solid. A dedicated roadster? Bleh. The removable roof on the Vette, and CGT/918 have always irked me for this reason.

Am I a bad person?
    Yes, and so am I. But that's besides the point.

I actually prefer a clean sheet roadster to one that is converted from (or shares underpinnings with) a hardtop. Targas and detachable roof panels are the stupidest idea ever in my opinion, you get the worse of both world with none of the advantages. In fact I even think that sunroofs aren't a very good idea. If you want to enjoy the wind in your hair (and the flies, and get third degree sunburns and the interior covered in dust and shit in no time at all) just buy a proper convertible.

I think that currently, given the choice I'd lean towards a hardtop car rather than an open top motor. Don't get me wrong, I like roadsters and I enjoyed my MX-5; the best thing about them is that they amplify the driving experience and you can have fun even from relatively low speeds.

One thing I have learnt the hard way though, is that I'm unlikely to ever run again a soft top as a first car. You can do it (especially one as "logic" as folding metal roof base MX-5) but it's just that you do not want to; the downsides are far greater than the upsides and unless you have tones of spare time and no friends at all you (I?) rarely go for dedicated drives on the countryside. Most of the time you are either in a traffic jam, on a boring ring road or monotone motorway where you are just better off in a closed car.

Of course, if you are a proper petrolhead like me, this all goes out the window the day you have cash in the kitty and you go past a Mazda dealer with the new MX-5 exposed. But for now, the above is where my opinion stands.

As for hybrids I think they could work if they were mated to diesel engines; unfortunately the diesel-hybrid efforts done so far have been... abysmal at best.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I think it looks great and even better than the older models *flame suit on*

Mazda MX-5 (NP) #2
    Attached Images Attached Images

2.0 SkyActiv in the US, 1.5 everywhere else. For some reason.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Shouldn't that read US to get the 2 litre, everybody else both engines?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Communists. As long as their is the choice between the two it doesn't matter. I am kinda more interested in more flavours, not that the Miata/MX-5 needs them. A coupe, and turbo Mazdaspeed version would be neat.

I wonder if Canada will get the 1.5 option. We can sometimes be glossed over in the press, and even though Autoblog.ca exists, I read the .com, traitorously.

TTAC isn't that bad re: Canada. The new EIC is a Canadian who I happened to meet at a party at one of my closest friend's houses a few years ago. Woot?

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Shouldn't that read US to get the 2 litre, everybody else both engines?
    The quote I saw didn't suggest any options. It would be good to have the choice though.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Thread Information