Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: what would make f1 more exiting

Quote Originally Posted by charged
    no traction control
    Oh yeah Cant wait to see these rain races again !!! I bet 90% of the drivers struggles with it

www.crash.net/motoring/roadcars/news/home/

OK here goes...
    Big fat wide slicks....
    No raised nose cars....
    No barge boards...
    Single element rear wings....
    No electronic traction control...make the driver use his right foot for traction control...
    No electronic trickery....
    3 Litre V8s...bring back the DFV
    No seamless transmissions...
    F1 is actually the World Drivers Championship, not who's got the best engineer/aerodynamicist/electronics geek championship. Make the men in the cars drive the cars...
    "You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear; but you can make a mighty fast pig." Carroll Shelby

Motorsport; the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

The scream of Vtec

thats made my day
    people like u dont need to be on this go to supid land where your mind is ass - toyota4ever

ricers suck...pasta rockets for life - sicilian973-2

Less grip and less aero.

The only way you'll increase overtaking & actual "racing" (anyone remember that?), and therefore excitement/enjoyment.

GP2 is the perfect example of what F1 should be like. F1 is an embarrassment by comparison.

Also freeing up the technical regs.

GP2 is fine as a "one car fits all" series, so F1 doesn't need to be the same. If it is supposed to be about technology, why not return to the days when you could have an Italian V12 at the front competing against a Brit with a 4-pot in the back?

Why not allow diesel now?
    Last edited by Coventrysucks; 08-19-2006 at 04:12 AM.
    Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie
    Oh yeah Cant wait to see these rain races again !!! I bet 90% of the drivers struggles with it
    Who is the 10% that can handle the rain?

Bringing back the KKK-Turbo's!

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    Less grip and less aero.

The only way you'll increase overtaking & actual "racing" (anyone remember that?), and therefore excitement/enjoyment.

GP2 is the perfect example of what F1 should be like. F1 is an embarrassment by comparison.

Also freeing up the technical regs.

GP2 is fine as a "one car fits all" series, so F1 doesn't need to be the same. If it is supposed to be about technology, why not return to the days when you could have an Italian V12 at the front competing against a Brit with a 4-pot in the back?

Why not allow diesel now?
    No, that's exactly what it shouldn't be. GP2, world formula Nissan/Renault, etc, all b*llshit, dreary promotion formula's for overblown ego's.
    Who is at the weel of the car, a monkey or another Schumacher, couldn't care less. The real exceptional ones will always drive the best cars.
    In fact, freeing up the technicals is perpendicular on your lauding the GP2. That's exactly killing all technical initiative.
    F1 ought to be the showcase for high-tech, on the lookout for the cars for tomorrow. That would mean: draconian safe- (not bad already) and fuel consumption (nowhere these days) measurements. As little else on regulations as possible. 4 wheels (covered, please, today's formula 1 are esthetical horrors), 750kg min. weight, x00L of commercial fuel (and no refueling during the race!), survival cell following instructions, no electronics TOWARDS the cars.
    Whether a 4-chambre rotary engine or a turbocompressed V16 ought to be the manufacturer's choice. And most certainly not unique manufacturers of tires, electronics, etc.
    I hate today's F1, and sports cars/ long distance prototypes are the only races worth looking at. And even these are getting more and more the same; look at the Daytona prototype class...

Open regulations on engine format (which would require equivalency formula's and the such)

Less grip from aero, more grip from tyres which are a return to slicks with noticeably larger rear tyres.
    I am the Stig

i want to see drag racing big slicks on the rear
    people like u dont need to be on this go to supid land where your mind is ass - toyota4ever

ricers suck...pasta rockets for life - sicilian973-2

Sub-Machine guns mounted on the front...NOS would be a welcome addition as it will bring in the millions of ricers...But seriously i would like to see less electronics and more talent...Also maybe less restrictions on speed/power...
    You type without knowledge, you are 'a keyboard warrior - lots of mouth, little brain....

Quote Originally Posted by JorisP
    No, that's exactly what it shouldn't be. GP2, world formula Nissan/Renault, etc, all b*llshit, dreary promotion formula's for overblown ego's.
    You pay your money, you take your choice.

It would be difficult to deny that, in pure terms of racing and "action" GP2 has more per race than F1 has in several seasons combined.

If you stripped the technological side of the sport out, you would end up with exciting F1, but very similar to GP2, and why would you want something very similar to GP2 when GP2 exists?

If however, you wanted to increase the technological aspect of the sport, you run the risk of having one team come up with an unbeatable car, which ruins any prospect of racing or excitement, and which everyone else will copy for the next season - bang goes any hopes of "diversity" amongst the cars.

It is also an open invitation to dramatic rises in expenditure, which will limit the number of teams, and by sheer mathematics - the less cars are racing, the less "action" can happen.
    Thanks for all the fish

No wings, no aero, narrower tires, no electronic assists, 3.0 liter engines. Let's make this more about the skill of the drivers than the doohickeys on the cars.

Some one said 3.5 liter v10s it was 3.0 and I want the v12s back and the same regulations as the 80s with forced induction and n/a

Quote Originally Posted by MrKipling

That would do nicely! Teams are far too secretive (we probably know more about Area 51, than we do about Alonso's wing mirrors) about almost anything, but I'm absolutely positive that if a technology makes it to a car at a GP weekend, rivals already know about it. Within the rules, its a rare occasion that something truly breakthru, that has kinda slipped every other engineers mind, is stumbled upon. Analysis of engine notes can leak a hell of alot. But it's a very tricky situation. If everything is out in the open, (it's great for rivals, no doubt) there will almost never be an element of surprise. We'd probably even know tyre pressures and hence judging blow-outs wouldnt be far of, in the case of a fluctuation, or hydraulic problems, or overheated brakes, or how much water Schumacher drinks per race etc.

But, yes I'm all in favour of more technical commentary teams. Even football had medical experts explaining anatomy coz of the meta-tarsal thingy, but they stop short of instant replays for officials and refrees. Sure, F1 is not perfect, and as far as I'm concerned I love it, and will continue to watch it. But F1 is threatened (for whatever reason, be it racing or television coverage) by other racing series, although I choose not to admit it most of the time. Bernie is far too phlegmatic to see that. Sometimes I wonder whether thats a good thing.

This has almost endless posibilities, its really hard to say whether its a leap or a lurch. We could all be watchin and debating (like some of us do now) or maybe late on Saturday night, find some download with all the information/telemetry and strategies for Sunday's race.

The last thing F1 needs is change!

Thread Information