Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell us something about where you live

Tell us something about where you live

Again a stupid question perhaps, but how about we all tell something about the city where we live? I'll give it a start... P.S. Pics are welcome too!

I live in Eindhoven, a city in the south of the Netherlands. Our city has almost 210.000 citizens which makes it the 5th city in the country. On january the 1st 1920 Eindhoven was established after the annexation of 5 little towns: Gestel, Tongelre, Stratum, Woensel and Strijp.

Eindhoven was in the later 1800's and beginning 1900's a real industrial city because of the comming of current world-wide producer of electronics Philips. As for today still several product of Philips are made in Eindhoven (I believe the Philishavers). Philips made Eindhoven the town it now is. They even build a whole new village, the Philips-village, to give all their employees a home.

After WWII Eindhoven grew even further, not only because of Philips but also because of the growing succes of car and truck manufacturer DAF. And again DAF still has its biggest factory in Eindhoven. All DAF's are still designed and tested in and around Eindhoven.

Today Eindhoven is known for their Technical University and it's Design Academie. Also very famous is football club PSV, established in 1918 by Philips to entertain their employees. PSV has had some world famous football players (Romario, Ronaldo, v. Nistelrooy and Arjen Robben) and still has a very good name in countrys like Brazil. Last winter Eindhoven openend a brand new swimming stadium which will host the European Championship in 2008. The Van Abbenmuseum is one of the best museums in the area and has some famous paintings in its collection (Picasso, Vermeer).

Pictures of Eindhoven:
    1) Van Abben Museum
    2) De Witte Dame (the White Lady) - a former Philips factory wich now shelters the Eindhoven Library
    3) The first Philips factory
    4) De Regent - tallest building in Eindhoven
    5) The Philips Stadium (home of PSV Eindhoven - 33.500 seats)
    6) The Philips Stadium (home of PSV Eindhoven - 33.500 seats)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

Top Gear on the Vandenbrink Carver One

winter doesn't exist here. pretty much perfect sub-tropical weather but a bit dry.
    i'll post more info when i'm not drunk at 12.30 in the morning while trying to find certain essential items of clothing
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

i'll give this a go tomorrow,gotta go work now Search and you'll find dozens of pictures of me town somewhere on this board

I live in a little town called Dundas, the population h as been steady here at around 20,000 for a few decades. There isnt much to it, but it was used as a strategic post in the war of 1812. It isnt very exciting, but there are larger cities around to make up for that. Our seasons consist of Winter....and the month of June. Its a great place to live if you dont like big cities.
    Last edited by mclaren_crazy; 08-15-2006 at 07:52 AM.
    The McLaren F1- The most fun you can have with your clothes on

"Live Fast, Die Young, and Leave a Good Looking Corpse" -James Dean, weeks before dying in a car crash at the age of 24

Hmmnmn, what to say..

Well, i live in Ayr, Scotland, on the west coast. Right on the beach, which is great. Ayr was found sometime in the 1800's, and is home to Ayr Racecourse, home of Horse Racing in Scotland apparently.

It is also home to Prestwick Airport, which has one of the biggest runways in Britain, so we hear cargo planes, and all the other planes flying over head.

Ayr is home to about 75,000 residents. Plenty of Schools, and some other ammenities. Um, ot much else to say really.

Some pictures.

1. The Auld Brig, one of the oldest bridges in Ayr, and still in use today.
    2. Wallace Tower, is where the Town all is situated.
    3. County Buildings - Home of South Ayrshire Council + the Courts.
    4. Nice big beach with a view right over to the Isle of Arran.
    5. Arial view of Ayr. Note that the Airport runway is nearly half the size of the town.

-Roughly 5,600,000 people.
    -Taken in almost 250,000 Katrina evacuees, most of which still live here (Call it New New Orleans)
    -We have the largest building in the world outside of a downtown area.
    -Professional Baseball, football, soccer, hockey, mens and womens basketball teams.
    -First domed stadium
    -One of the largest oil refineries
    -One of the largest ports
    -Home to TONS of championship sports games (Superbowl, baseball and basketball all star games, Big 12 football championship...)
    -Large museum district and lots of parks.
    -Home to NASA
    -One of the (if not THE) largest medical centers in the world.
    -First football stadium with a retractible roof

I love my City.

Williams Tower (Said largest building...)

Small portion of the skyline:

Medical Center:

The Galleria (Biggest shopping mall in Texas)
    http://www.conmicro.cx/~kturtle/phot...-xmas-tree.jpg

The art car parade (one of the biggest)
    Last edited by my porsche; 08-15-2006 at 08:21 AM.
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

I live in a VERY small town about 5000 people, just 2 miles from the canadian border. Its also the second most used border area for international drug smuggling according to the border patrols hot list. We usually see a bust in the paper about once a week.

On the other hand my town has alot of industry. We make aluminum, engine blocks and heads (GM) and electricity for a vast part of NY and Canada.

Falls Church (home), Charlottesville (college), Virginia, USA
    I grew up in Falls Church, VA, although due to the complicated nature of Northern Virginia geography, I have not lived in the City of Falls Church. Rather, I live in the part of Fairfax County designated as Falls Church. Nevertheless, I consider myself a Falls Churchian. For some years (I'm not sure how long) I've been aware of the fact that Falls Church is named after a specific building, and this building is still standing.

The first church on the site was a wooden building completed in 1734, although the name "Falls Church" did not come into common usage until 1757. The name comes from the fact that the church is "near the falls" of the Potomac River, and was on the road to Great Falls. In 1763, a new brick church was commissioned, due to the decaying state of the wooden structure, and George Washington (yes, that Washington) and George William Fairfax "were appointed church wardens with responsibility to contract for a new building." The new building was designed by Colonel James Wren (coincidentally, up until 1992 I lived very near the old farmhouse of Colonel Wren), was completed in 1769, and still stands today.

During the Revolutionary War, the building was a recruiting station, and "tradition holds that the Declaration of Independence was read to local citizens from the steps of the south doors." The building was abandoned after 1784, but was restored and reopened in the early 1800's under the leadership of Henry Fairfax, Francis Scott Key, and others.

During the American Civil War, the church was used by Union troops as a hospital and then as a stable. After the war, "the Federal Government repaired and paid for damages caused by Union forces." A congregation has been continuously active here since 1873.

The church's cemetary also has a white oak (Quercus alba) that is the largest of its species in the state of Virginia.

I've attached pictures of a historical marker located outside the church, and a picture of the church's entrance as it appears today. I tried to upload a third picture which shows the Falls Church during the Civil War, but it was too large. That picture can, however, be seen here.

Of course, I don't actually live at the church; rather I live in a house that was built in the early 1960's. Nevertheless, I find it a fascinating story.
    UCP's biggest (only?) fan of the '74-'76 Mercury Cougar.
    UCP's proudest owner of a '74 Cougar

My favorite color is chrome.

I was born in the town of Butler, Pennsylvania which isn't too great of a town. It's located near Pittsburgh in the western side of the state. It's somewhat rundown and they have alot of drug problems there. But it is the town credited with "inventing" the Jeep, so it has some car history to it.

When I was about 10 I moved to the town of State College, located right in the middle of Pennsylvania. State College is Home to Penn State University, which recently won the NCAA Football championship. This town is also credited with a few inventions because of the labs and everything here on the campus. One invention was the yo-yo i believe. The town doesn't have a very big population, it's probably half made up of college students i'm not eally sure. Supposedly the amount of people in our town doubles during home football games but I'm not so sure if thats true.

Within 10 minutes driving distance is the town of Boalsburg which claims to be the birthplace of Memorial Day. I'm not sure wether it is or not because after researching memorial day on google, it seems just about every state has a town that claims to be the birthplace of memorial day.

I live in Worcester. It's a shitehole. I really can't say too much more about it, and pictures would just be a waste of space.
    Signature? We don't need no steenking signature

Lewiston used to be the state capital of Idaho, but in an attempt to divide Idaho up for Washington and Nevada, soldiers from Fort Boise stole the state seal and took it to Boise. When the government decided not to divide Idaho, Boise was the new state capital.

In northern Spain, in the Basque Country a medium size town with 175.000 habitants.

- Sunny but not so hot as in south Spain
    - Great places, a lot of mountains, beaches...
    - Gastronomy, cider and meat, all kind of fish,...the best thing here is food
    - insane rural sports,..rowing in "trainera", cuting trees with axes,...
    - Sculptures, mdern buildings...tipical turistic stuff, great to see bu for us
    - There is no great cars
    Life is too short to stay, race!

Gora Euskadi! Visca Catalunya!

Well, looks like deffenbaugh beat me to my town description. I'm friends with him but sadly I still live in Butler and i miss hanging out with him all the time.

But anyway. Yes, Bantem, the company who built the original jeep at the beginning of WW2, was located here in Butler so I guess that makes Butler the birthplace of the jeep (too bad it isn't the birthplace of koenigsegg or noble or ferrari or anything , oh well) It has about 15,000 people in the township but that number is dropping. Not much right around here but it is only about 45 minutes drive north of Pittsburgh.

Not much else to say really, it's an alright place to live, I just wish more people around here had better taste in cars .

Oostvoorne

I was born in Rotterdam and have lived in the small town of oostvoorne for 17 of my almost 19 years. It used to be a popular tourist town, until the beach was closed 2 years ago.

It is located about 1-2 kilometres from the coast on a large island.See this map:

To the north you will find the most western parts of the Port of Rotterdam,one of the biggest in the world.Parts of it were built in the sea,and more parts will be aded in the next year,even further out into sea. The ships get larger,so does the port. On this picture you see a canal for not-sea going ships,(parts of) the Nerefco refinery and a very busy bridge for both train and cars.

To the west you find a big section of dunes,which are protected. Apparently many threatened species of plants and birds live there. Me and my friends use it as a place to have fun The beach used to be accesible for cars until 2003,but fundemental nature folks had it closed. 12.000 (!!) signatures were collected but they still closed it. Many people in town immediately stopped paying the enviromentalists there AND demlished the gates a few times. About each month they need a new barrier. Last one was reinforced concrete,but they still demolished I love the beach and go there as much as i can and the weather allows me to. The next picture features a hidden and very nice section. In the background you see the installations of our local toxic waste dump,right next to the birds

To the south is the town of Rockanje. Basically it is still almost forbidden to go there,especially for the older people We have a real town-war In the past there have been riots,fires,etcetera. My boss from Rockanje married a man from Oostvoorne,but she is completely rejected from Rockanje. Once she returned and was immediately threatened these old folks....sigh...
    In between the two towns are some dunes and forests and farm land,nothing special really.

To the east is the town of Brielle. It is a "city" but very small. In 16?? there was a fierce battle between Dutch pirates and the spanish army. THIS was the battle of April 1st. The spanish general Alva lost his first ever battle here. Because of that,we made a joke: "Alva lost his glasses,on 1 april". (It rimes in Dutch.). All this resulted in what you all know as "Aprils fools". My old school used to be in this town and i commuted to here for 6 years on bike.
    In between both towns are fields and a lot of greenhouses. They transmit such a bright light at night,that many people in my town have trouble sleeping at night. There is always work in the greenhouses,but its very dirty. Most workers come from Poland,Russia,Portugal,Spain etcetera...

I think that just about covers it. Closeby are two of the famous Dutch Waterworks,but that isnt in my town. It lies in the most polluted area of Europe,has a lot of traffic(cargo trains to and from germany come by 75x an hour),airplane noise because it lies under the route of planes to Amsterdam airport and has smog and chemical smells from time to time. But i love my town nevertheless. I cant imagine ever moving far away,i wanna stay here for the rest of my life.

(offcourse i do need to find something to do,because it is very boring)

i live in Karachi. its a third world city so there isnt much to see here. karachi is huge & i live in a quiet residential area called North Nazimabad. we have the basic necessities such as water supply, electricity, gas & petrol but we have problems such as power failures, open sewers, terrible roads, garbage pollution, smoke pollution, dangerous traffic, bad bus services, high crime rate.

Karachis population is very high, more than a million. poverty is also very high. the government always raises taxes continuously so inflation increases at around 12%. even with high poverty most people people do have a lot of money, either because of education or corruption. the only good cars here are Hondas (city & civic) & toyota corollas which people call big cars compared to local made suzukis which are the size of the current mini coopers. there are few good cars like mercedes & BMW but they are very very rare. only a few people can afford SUVs like Toyota landcruisers & mitsubishi pajeros which are considered to be Rolls Royces by the public. there are no sportscars here other than a few daihatsu copens, skylines, rx7s & rx8s.

first pic: my neighbourhood
    If you want to do something wrong, do it right

Thread Information