Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fiat Panda Cross Dakar (PanDakar)

Fiat Panda Cross Dakar (PanDakar)

The Fiat Panda Cross at the “Dakar 2007”

The “Dakar 2007”, that most classic of all rallies with its thrilling succession of stages and special trials, was presented today in Paris. It will start from Lisbon on 6th January and close on the 21st in the Senegal capital after covering 8,696 kilometres, 5,100 of them in the form of timed specials. It will cross Portugal, Spain, Morocco, Mauritania, Mali and Senegal. An extraordinary adventure that will see Fiat in the thick of it with two Panda Cross’s driven by Miki Biasion, teamed with Tiziano Siviero, and by one of the Fiat squad’s official drivers.

Entered in the T2 category, the closest to production vehicles, the two Panda Cross’s are fitted with a 1.3 Multijet turbodiesel combined with a six-speed manual gearbox that delivers about 105 bhp at 4500 rpm and has a peak torque of 17 kgm at 2500 rpm. Apart from their small dimensions, the two cars stand out for their automatically selectable all-wheel drive with viscous joint and locking differential, the system that provides more grip on the terrain thanks to the optimal split of motive force to the wheels.

The Fiat Panda Cross is proving to be an extraordinary “explorer”, completely at ease on rough, gruelling terrain. Credit for this also goes to the tried and tested, specifically set suspension layout: in front McPherson independent wheels, at the rear independent wheels with longitudinal tie rods. Not to mention the shock absorbers, adjustable 4 ways at the front and 3 at the rear.

The two cars competing in the Dakar 2007 have been fitted out specifically for this rally: so room has been found inside for accessories like the aluminium platforms to get the vehicle out of sand, two shovels, three spare wheels, water reserves for the crew (minimum 10 litres) and other pieces of equipment useful for the occasion. Among other things, the Fiat expedition to Dakar will include a Fiat Sedici as service back-up and three Iveco trucks to transport spares and mechanics.

Winner of two world rally championships with Lancia and two world Truck titles with Iveco in 1998 and 1999, Miki Biasion will be relying on the great manoeuvrability and personality of the Panda Cross. It should also not be forgotten that during its development stage the Panda 4x4, from which the Cross version is derived, was tested in every corner of the Earth for sturdiness, character and road performance, especially in road situations and climate conditions that were often at the limit: in the North, on the ice-bound tracks of freezing Lapland where the temperature drops to 40 below; in the South, in the torrid conditions of South Africa where the Atlantic meets up with the Indian Ocean; in the West, on the rugged slopes of the Sierra Nevada, in Spain; and in the East, in the foothills of the majestic, eternal Mount Everest. In all, the Panda 4x4 covered more than one million kilometres before going into production.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Panda Cross Dakar #2

almost certainly in a minority here, but i like that, and it's quite cool too

Pandakar

There are many other pictures of the finished thing.... Here's one
    Arh.... too late....but.... here's a video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQ3NSePClZQ
    Last edited by Gardin; 12-13-2006 at 03:29 PM.
    Team Fiattitude

What I don't understand is, more power but less torque than standard?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Hahaha I wanna see that little piece of shit get owned by Monteros and Race Touaregs
    (we all know Fiat Pandas suck )

That's nuts! That thing will take forever with the amount of power it has! It'll still be running this years race when it comes time for next year's.

thats ace. i like the panda 4x4 but it needs more power. awesome off rroad too.
    autozine.org

That thing might have less than half the power of the big boys, but it'd also be about half the weight.. It'll fly through the dunes with that. It's awesome and I hope it shows up the class.

I want one. Will they sell it to privaters?
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan
    Hahaha I wanna see that little piece of shit get owned by Monteros and Race Touaregs
    1st off, the Panda isn't that bad off road, so don't be hard on it
    2nd off, u live in the US, so what do u know about fiats?? Unless u watch top gear or something like that..................
    3rd off, i kinda agree w/ u that it might get owned by the pajeros and touaregs
    I am the Stig

Ferrari Constructors Champions 2007

panda has respect
    autozine.org

Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan
    They don't.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

inspiration:
    autozine.org

first posted by carsnut:
    2nd off, u live in the US, so what do u know about fiats?? Unless u watch top gear or something like that..................
    right. like Top Gear is reviewing Fiats like they réally are...
    but yes, Fiats seem to be much better than one tends to know.

Thread Information