Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hatred: Coming from Holland to the US

Hatred: Coming from Holland to the US

Quote Originally Posted by Herald Tribune
    WASHINGTON: As a child, Ayaan Hirsi Ali fled violence in Somalia with her family. As an adult she fled to Europe to escape an arranged marriage. She left her adopted Holland after she was caught up in political turmoil and had her life threatened.

Now Hirsi Ali — a brave critic of Islam to her supporters, a bigot to her critics — has found refuge in the intellectual bastion of America's leading conservatives.

Hirsi Ali joined the American Enterprise Institute last September, after a sometimes stormy 14 years in the Netherlands, where she was a member of parliament and became a central figure in two events that jolted the nation.

First, after she wrote a script for a film that depicted naked women with Quranic verses scrawled on their bodies, a Dutch-born Muslim gunned down the filmmaker, Theo van Gogh. A letter threatening Hirsi Ali was left on a knife plunged into van Gogh's chest.

Next, a fight within Hirsi Ali's political party over her Dutch citizenship brought down the government.

These days, 37-year-old Hirsi Ali is promoting her autobiography, "Infidel." It gives a graphic account of how she rejected her faith and the violence she says was inflicted on her in the name of Islam.

"I'm an apostate. That's why the book is called 'Infidel,'" she said in a telephone interview from New York.

The Council on American-Islamic Relations thinks Hirsi Ali's campaign amounts to slander and bigotry.

"We believe that contributes to a growing level of Muslim hatred in America," said the council's communications director, Ibrahim Hooper. "It is unfortunate that she had to bring that kind of hate from Europe to the United States."

Her new colleagues at the American Enterprise Institute, a conservative public policy research group, laud Ali Hirsi as a brave voice taking on a taboo subject.

"She's very original, a very courageous thinker, and she has independence of mind," said Christina Hoff Sommers, an institute fellow who specializes in feminism, among other things.

At the institute, Hirsi Ali's studies will involve Islam and women: the relationship between the West and Islam; women's rights in Islam; violence against women propagated by religious and cultural arguments; and Islam in Europe.

Many institute scholars have had a close relationship with the administration of President George W. Bush. Among its senior fellows are the former leader of the House of Representatives Newt Gingrich; John R. Bolton, former U.S. ambassador to the United Nations; and Lynne Cheney, wife of Vice President Dick Cheney.

"I've been accused of selling out," Hirsi Ali said. "I've been told you're hanging the dirty laundry outside. Black from the outside, white from the inside."

Ali Hirsi's book provides her graphic account of how her grandmother had her subjected to genital mutilation, sometimes called female circumcision, when she was 5 years old. The practice began in Africa, before Islam, but some African Muslim societies still see it as a requirement of religion.

She also describes a time when she was a teenager in Kenya, a majority Christian country with many Muslim Somali refugees, and a Quran teacher cracked her skull after she challenged his insistence that students write Quranic verses on wooden boards and memorize them.

"I started to call him uncivilized and backward and said he lived in the time of ignorance before Islam had come around and this was an outrageous system," she said, and the man bashed her head against the wall.

She lied to be accepted as a refugee in Holland, became a Dutch citizen, graduated from prestigious Leiden University and won a seat in the Dutch parliament for a party that was tough on immigration. She became known as a firebrand.

That led to her collaboration with Van Gogh on the short television movie, "Submission." In 2004, a man enraged by the movie shot van Gogh seven times and slit his throat on an Amsterdam street, leaving the note threatening Hirsi Ali.

Her lie when she entered the country — she used an assumed name — caught up with her last year. By that time her falsehood was widely known, even to her good friend, Rita Verdonk, the immigration minister. Because of a notorious similar case in which Verdonk expelled a young woman, she came under pressure to cancel Hirsi Ali's citizenship. She did, and the six members of the government's smallest coalition party resigned in protest. The government fell, although Verdonk had used a technicality to restore Hirsi Ali's Dutch citizenship.

Considering van Gogh's death, and her continuing outspokenness about Islam, Hirsi Ali said she no longer can feel safe without bodyguards in the presence of even moderate Muslims.

Unlike many world leaders, including Bush, who say Muslim terrorists are distorting the peaceful Islamic religion, Hirsi Ali said the terrorists in large part have truth on their side: The violence is in the Quran and the hadith, the traditions of the Prophet Muhammad, she said.

Islam today, she said, "is not my grandmother's amulet-wearing, superstitious sort of Islam that is just comforting for the believer." Today's Islam sees the world as its enemy. "And you wage war against your enemies."

The Council on American-Islamic Relations' Hooper contends that she exaggerates to further her agenda.

"She is just one more Muslim basher on the lecture circuit," he said.
    Is this what Holland breeds these days?! People of such low morality??
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

I hope everyone is enjoying this as much as I am.
    Go n-ithe an cat thu, is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat

When you go Home, Tell them for us and say 'For your tommorrow, We Gave Our Today.'

Figures... Rockefella.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella
    Is this what Holland breeds these days?! People of such low morality??
    Which "people" ?
    She isn't Dutch.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

But she came from this terrible, terror-harboring country. Just think about the children!!
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

You just wait until Bush solves the crisis in the middle east, and he will be coming for the dutch...
    Who killed the Electric Car?
    GO HABS GO!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella
    But she came from this terrible, terror-harboring country. Just think about the children!!
    Nice to see you've learned much from your glorious leaders.

Attack is the best form of defence!

The world is getting too crazy.....there is a lot of hate in the air. I don't get where it is all coming from.

There are two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's culture and the Dutch.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyperl
    There are two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's culture and the Dutch.
    So you sort of hate yourself...?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyperl
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

I hate myself....is that cool?

On a somewhat related note, walking in the mall today three Muslim women somehow managed to take up an entire side of the walkway, walking side by side with their huge burkas, and walking VEERRRRRYYYY slowly.

Annoyed the crap out of me.
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

"a smoke and a pancake"

oh, i really could use a smoke after this heroic tale of a legendary woman.

I don't get what you're exactly communicating about (in)tolerance of Dutch people/the world, but Hirshi Ali is giving a very realistic opinion based on real life experience.
    She kind of got kicked out of Holland because of the pursuit of carreer of "friend" Rita Verdonk. this "iron lady" just wanted to show power and go for premiership. (thank God she failed...)
    some people still seem to fail to understand what she's standing for and just want to rely on old traditions that keep certain groups unspoken for.

Quote Originally Posted by my porsche
    On a somewhat related note, walking in the mall today three Muslim women somehow managed to take up an entire side of the walkway, walking side by side with their huge burkas, and walking VEERRRRRYYYY slowly.

Annoyed the crap out of me.
    How does their religion affect the speed at which they walk?

If they had been Christians carrying big crucifixes, or whatever Christians carry about with them, would you have mentioned it?

Would you have been annoyed?

Thread Information