Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: may rattle a few cages, but....

You guys bring up some really good points, however I think that you are pretty lucky not to have to live next door to America. I'm sure you've heard what types of policies they try to enforce on Canada. Our border is a joke, and anytime someone in Canada brings anything into that political realm that doesn't meet with the standards of America (ie. decriminalization of marijuana. I'm neither for nor against) they try to push thier weight on us and it causes us to back down, we are loosing our laidback way of life that makes Canada so popular and likeable. From what I've heard it's somewhat similar to Australia or New Zealand (with more steak and less shrimps on the barby ) I think America is preasuring us to be more like them and that is not a good thing, we need to be very separate if we are going to retain our way of life and Canadian identity. The best thing we have done so far was avoiding the war in Iraq. I only hope that we can continue to distance ourselves from the Americans in a bid to keep pur own identity and way of life different and hopefully continue to live without the ideological and media oppression, as well as the opression of everything that strays outside the percieved norms of the American sociaty as a whole.
    Fortune and glory, kid. Fortune and glory.

As I step out of my mildly rattled cage with a cynical smirk on my face, I feel I could well go off on one about all the things that makes America so laughable.

But in the interest keeping things civil, I shall not.

But to highlight a few key points, for example the jealousy of America that all the world apparently harbours...

I think you might find that in fact very few people are jealous of you Americans. Because to the majority of the world the stereotypical American weighs about 20 stone, spends all day long eating Big Macs (they're not great by the way, they're just another example of the mass produced rubbish that America blights the world with), selects his/her president with a dartboard and has an IQ of about 60.

By no stretch of the imagination am I suggesting that all Americans are like that, or any of them are for that matter. But the fact remains that this is how it looks to the outside world.

The other thing that I think many people find funny (or maybe just the person sitting here typing this I suppose) is that America seems to see itself as this big guardian angel that watches over the whole world, keeping it safe and maintaining peace, but in reality it really looks like one big country built on hypocrisy and double standards.

For what it's worth, I don't really know how to put it without it sounding blunt, but I'll try anyway. Generally Canada is just sort of seen as a detached state of America by a lot of people I think. It isn't Canada fault. (I have nothing against Canada, I'd like to travel there one day) I could be wrong mind you.

Just my tuppence worth I suppose.

Ooh, one last thing before I depart. In the majority of the states, its illegal to drink alcohol until you're 21... Still you call it the land of the free?

lol you think its ok for kids to run around with bottles of wiskey and have a good time...?

With your strict censorship regulations I would not call your's a free society.
    what "strict cencorship regulations" would you be refering too?

Because to the majority of the world the stereotypical American weighs about 20 stone, spends all day long eating Big Macs (they're not great by the way, they're just another example of the mass produced rubbish that America blights the world with), selects his/her president with a dartboard and has an IQ of about 60.
    The other thing that I think many people find funny (or maybe just the person sitting here typing this I suppose) is that America seems to see itself as this big guardian angel that watches over the whole world, keeping it safe and maintaining peace, but in reality it really looks like one big country built on hypocrisy and double standards.
    this may anger many of you but personaly i dont care how the rest of the world views america, especially when its untrue heresay.... also what "hypocrisy and double standars" are we built on acording to you? the US is by no means perfect nor does anyone claim it to be (besides the extremly ignorant) but i would still rather live here than any other country on the planet. one of the major problems with america as ive said before is the many librals that decided its their job to dictate what everyone should watch, belive, wear, etc. these idiotic notions never get passes but the fact that they bring a stir ever once in a while is more than anoying (like taking god out of the pledge... as ive said before im agnostic yet i dont see any point in that) anyway if you could clear up your statements on america mabe i can shed some light on these things as you may not be fully informed...
    UCP's Most Hardcore Burro!

Being human explains everything but excuses nothing

Quote Originally Posted by iamME
    better still put in a small room with their mistreated prisoners with no weapons and minimal clothing and then we'll see what happens. the only reason your country is at the top of the food chain is because we're all bloody scared of you.
    hopefully that is about to change...
    So you dont mind torture as long as it happens to the "right " people. There is a possibility that some of the Iraqis being held were being held for valid reasons, ie torture, rape, murder, bombings etc. The images of them being abused raises our outrage and sympathy but they were being detained for something.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Quote Originally Posted by crisis
    So you dont mind torture as long as it happens to the "right " people. There is a possibility that some of the Iraqis being held were being held for valid reasons, ie torture, rape, murder, bombings etc. The images of them being abused raises our outrage and sympathy but they were being detained for something.
    good point
    UCP's Most Hardcore Burro!

Being human explains everything but excuses nothing

Quote Originally Posted by megotmea7
    this may anger many of you but personaly i dont care how the rest of the world views america, especially when its untrue heresay.... also what "hypocrisy and double standars" are we built on acording to you? the US is by no means perfect nor does anyone claim it to be (besides the extremly ignorant) but i would still rather live here than any other country on the planet. one of the major problems with america as ive said before is the many librals that decided its their job to dictate what everyone should watch, belive, wear, etc. these idiotic notions never get passes but the fact that they bring a stir ever once in a while is more than anoying (like taking god out of the pledge... as ive said before im agnostic yet i dont see any point in that) anyway if you could clear up your statements on america mabe i can shed some light on these things as you may not be fully informed...
    The US is often judged on the actions and words of some of its more vocal and "redneck" elements. The picture that is sometimes painted is one of loudmouthed arrogant bigots. A perception that Im sur is innacurate as I have met a few Americans and my interaction with some of you here helps to disperse. There are some here who Im afraid , dont help your cause. Interestingly those people have a similarly distorted view of the rest of the world most likely based on the actions of a minority.

The land full of snobs, public servants, politicians and round abouts.
    Quote Originally Posted by crisis
    no i'm saying that it would be interesting to see the US' reaction if that happened to them and i'm saying after the fact and not before. the US seems to believe in an eye for an eye. ie: 11/9...

The land full of snobs, public servants, politicians and round abouts.
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteballz
    BUT, i have always seen australia as a safer and better place to live, i have never been to america, but alot of my friends have, they say its very intimidating in NY and the sort, ive heard of killings for shoes, and clothes and the like, not to mention all the gangs and stuff you hear about, i may well be steriotyping all of america by my view of NY...
    i agree i like to be able to freely walk around the city at night without the fear of being raped or killed i also like that i don't have to fear for my friends lives.
    Ps.. sorry a little off topic but i'm just trying to prove that i envy the US about as much as i want to chop off my fingers one by one.

well since i have some free time tonite (no hockey on until tomorrow) and i am too lazy to read this whole thread... i will just say that all the other countrys hate america because of George W. Busch, he's a real dumbass. and his brand of rootin tootin, America is the only country that matters, if your a fan of freedom shoot someone politics he's employing is reflecting poorly on the well informed and non-comandeering Americans that are a bit more refined than "dubyuh". anyway, i have my qualms with American culture, being a canadian, but "dubyuh" is still an idiot that doesn't reflect the USA in a very good light.
    Wenn Sie wissen wollen, was einen volkswagen ein volkswagen macht, treibt es.

Quote Originally Posted by Batmobile_Turbo
    well since i have some free time tonite (no hockey on until tomorrow) and i am too lazy to read this whole thread... i will just say that all the other countrys hate america because of George W. Busch, he's a real dumbass. and his brand of rootin tootin, America is the only country that matters, if your a fan of freedom shoot someone politics he's employing is reflecting poorly on the well informed and non-comandeering Americans that are a bit more refined than "dubyuh". anyway, i have my qualms with American culture, being a canadian, but "dubyuh" is still an idiot that doesn't reflect the USA in a very good light.
    It seems highly unlikely a dumbass or an idiot would get to be president of the USA. You may not like the policies of his party, the way he looks or the way he acts but to label him an idiot is absurd. People living outside of America (Im one) would find it hard to fullt appreciate the impact that the terorist attack of September 11 had on American people. It was only the second time they were attacked on their home soil, the first on the mainland and at the heart of one of their major cities, their military headquarters and nearly the whitehouse. Talk about light a fire under their arse. Many of them seem still affected and somewhat blinded to the rest of the worlds interests. The government proceeded on a mission to rid the world of terrorism. Big call. Seems their still pretty pissed. Bin Laden did his cause and the reputation of those who follow the Muslim faith a lot of damage with his outrageous acts. He is the idiot.

I'd have to agree there crisis.

For all the hell we give him he handled the S-11 attacks admirably, he pushed the patriot button and people lined up in droves to support their nation.

The reactions though are foolish. We think (THINK? i'd like to be surer than that GWB...) that the attacks were planned in Afghanistan, so lets go there, it so happens an oil pipeline is being built through there that will help our supplies, but hey, who's gonna notice??????

Next, let's invade a country again, in the sequel to GW1, GW2 features brutal beatings of prisoners, bombings, and of course, that infamous "We got him" speech.

He has very little grasp on the English Language, won his presidency by recount after recount, and this man has the most powerful job in the world?

Jesus tap dancing christ.

The brutal beheading of the civilian was uncalled for, but the U.S. knew that a can of worms would be opened by these photos coming out. A picture tells a thousand words, there are quite a few angry ones being thrown about at the moment. If the U.S. thought it was having a hard time, there in for a rude shock.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by cp01ae
    more steak and less shrimps on the barby

no way, ive never seen shrimps on the barby!! (i dont live on the coast though) but steak and lamb is my staple diet!!! mmm MEAT!!!
    ... anyway, canada looks like a great place to visit, such beautyful scenery...
    like new zealand! lol, this is a great thread...

okay on with my point...

america justified their war on iraq with weapons of mass destruction. there were none. their cause for going there was still valid to invade iraq even if no weapons of mass were ever in the country. they got rid of suddam. that in itself justifies the war, through the GENEVA council, a just war is only just if
    :a country attacks another country that is wageing war on another country for profit or land gain.
    :the attacking country will make no profit from the "war".
    :the attacking country attacks for the good of the people of the country being waged war upon.

there are plenty more things i can call upon if anyone doubts what i say, i am studing the GENEVA council and the UN resoulutions.

america went to vietnam to help the south, secretly they were helping themselves, stopping communism from spreading through South East asia.

America went to war in iraq because of Weapons of Mass Destruction. and to "help" the iraqi supressed way of living, secretly i wouldnt think that there is some hidden game america is playing to help itself in this war too.

i may be borderlining on stupid with those comments, but i will let you draw your own conclusions about wether all america's war are "just" and are forgivable. and wether their leader is just after revenge...
    Last edited by whiteballz; 05-13-2004 at 02:54 AM.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Thread Information