Thread: Carlos Sainz - most succesful rally driver of all time

Carlos Sainz - most succesful rally driver of all time

Today Carlos Sainz took his 26th win of his World Rally Championship career, making him the most succesful rally driver of all time. He previously held the record joint with Colin Mcrae with 25 wins, but at this weekends rally Argentina Sainz took the crown.

Since his wrc debut in Portugal 1987, he has scored 1135 rally points and 2 rally championships in 1990 and 1992 and been an almost constant fixture in the top six standings of the WRC since his debut, which tells you all you need to know. He has driven with almost every top team to enter the WRC, including Toyota (1989-92, 1998-99), Lancia (1993), Subaru (1994-95), Ford (1996-97, 2000-02), Citroen (2003-04)

Carlos is the most respected driver in the sport. He has an awesome reputation, and every shred of it is deserved.

Achievements:

2004 World Rally Championship with Citroen (Xsara WRC). Results: Retired at the Monte Carlo Rally; fifth in Sweden, third in Mexico, sixth in NZ, third in Cyprus, 19th in Greece, 1st place in Argentina.

2003 World Rally Championship with Citroen (Xsara WRC) - third overall. Scored 63 points. Results: Third at Monte Carlo Rally, ninth in Sweden, first in Turkey, 12th in NZ, second in Argentina, second in Greece, fifth in Cyprus, sixth in Germany, fourth in Finland, fifth in Australia, fourth in Italy, second in France, seventh in Spain, and retired in GB.

2002 World Rally Championship with Ford (Focus RS WRC) - third overall. Scored 36 points. Results - One win [Argentina], plus four third place finishes [Monte, Sweden, Acropolis, GB], three fourth place finishes [Finland, New Zealand and Australia] and one sixth place [Corsica].

2001 World Rally Championship with Ford - sixth overall. Scored 33 points. Results - two second place finishes [Monte and Portugal], three thirds [Sweden, Argentina, and Cyprus], two fourths [New Zealand and Sanremo], one fifth [Catalunya] and one sixth [Finland].

2000 World Rally Championship with Ford (Focus) - third overall. Results - One win [Cyprus], two second place finishes [Monte and Acropolis], four thirds [Portugal, Catalunya, New Zealand and Corsica], two fourths [Safari and Britain] and one fifth [Sanremo Rally].

1999 World Rally Championship with Toyota - fourth overall. Results - four second place finishes [Monte, Portugal, Acropolis, and Australia].

1998 World Rally Championship with Toyota - second overall. Results - two wins [Monte and New Zealand] and five second place finishes [Sweden, Portugal, Argentina, Finland and Australia].

1997 World Rally Championship with Ford - third overall. Two wins [Indonesia and Acropolis].
    Asia-Pacific Rally Championship - fourth overall.

1996 World Rally Championship with Ford - second overall. One win [Indonesia].

1995 World Rally Championship with Subaru - second overall. Three wins [Monte, Portugal and Catalunya].

1994 World Rally Championship with Subaru - second overall. One win [Acropolis].

1993 World Rally Championship with Lancia - eighth overall.

1992 World Rally Champion with Toyota. Four wins [Safari, New Zealand, Catalunya, and Britain].

1991 World Rally Championship with Toyota - second overall. Five wins [Monte, Portugal, Tour de Corse, New Zealand and Argentina].

1990 World Rally Champion with Toyota. Four wins [Acropolis, New Zealand, Finland and Britain.]
    Asia-Pacific Rally Champion.

1989 World Rally Championship with Toyota - eighth overall. Three podium finishes.

1988 Spanish Rally Champion.
    World Rally Championship - selected events (Ford)

1987 Spanish Rally Champion.
    World Rally Championship debut - Portugal.

1986 Spanish Rally Championship - second overall.

1985 Spanish Rally Championship - second overall.

1984 Spanish Rally Champion (central zone).

1983 Rallying - First in Spanish Renault 5 Turbo Cup.

1982 Rallying - First in Spanish Renault 5 Cup.

1981 Rallying - First in Spanish SEAT Panda Trophy.

1980 Rallying - debut in SEAT Panda.

CONGRATULATIONS CARLOS!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CoTTerik; 07-18-2004 at 02:36 PM.

yep, well done and good team work by Citroen, not asking to slow down to let Loeb win. (he will be world champion anyhow).
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

IMO, the most successful should be considered whoever has the most titles. And if there are two or more of them tied, it should then be who has more wins.

Congrats to Sainz and the Citroen team for the win. Sainz is definitely deserving of that title.
    VIVA FERRARI!!!!!!

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!" ~ Benjamin Franklin

If everything's under control, you're going too slow ~ Mario Andretti

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!" ~ [U]Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: A Savage Journey into the Heart of the American Dream[/U]

congrats Sainz . he's one of my heroes in motorsport .
    congrats to Citroen . and congrats to Loeb he's doing an excelent job this year
    There is no terrible way of winning
    there is just winning

Well done to both Citroen and Sainz, keep up the good work

dont know why i am talking like any of them are going to read this but waht the hell
    Cedric - I sound like a chipmunk on there. Some friends of mine were like, "were you going through puberty?" I was like, no I was already 20, I just sound like a girl.

land of the Desert Extreme Challenge Rally
    He really deserves it. And btw, you're missing something CoTTerik. The WRC Master Finals in Portugal in a Toyota Corolla, in Portugal

Thread Information