Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: BMW drops "Ultimate Driving Machine"

What's your problem? The 6-Series is a fat, luxury coupé. OK, the M6 is sporty, but you also forgot the new 130i Sport, the M3, the M5, the Z4M Coupé, the Z4M Roadster and the 335i.

@TVR is king: M3 CSL, M3 GTR
    Most new BMW's have a bit of to much luxury, but if you want a car like a Lotus Exige, buy a Lotus Exige I mean, how can you expect that a branch like BMW has just fun cars these days? There aren't much potential buyers for cars like that (I mean for BMW, Lotus has a better reputation for light weight sport cars).

BMW is more for every day use, you can drive an M3 the hole year, and thats what make them such fun. The all in one car.[/
    Well...In my defence, I didn't think of the 1-series, being a small car. M5 is a saloon...so it too skipped my mind (could it really be the ultimate driving machine?), I read a thing on the weekend that said the Z4M's weren't great cars because they were rushed out before the new M3, and...as for the M3 CSL and GTR, I don't really know enough about them, although I have heard they're great cars.
    I saw an M3 the other day, highlight of my weekend.
    All about the t-tops

Quote Originally Posted by TVR IS KING
    Well...In my defence, I didn't think of the 1-series, being a small car. M5 is a saloon...so it too skipped my mind (could it really be the ultimate driving machine?), I read a thing on the weekend that said the Z4M's weren't great cars because they were rushed out before the new M3, and...as for the M3 CSL and GTR, I don't really know enough about them, although I have heard they're great cars.
    I saw an M3 the other day, highlight of my weekend.
    It all depends on how you look at it.

If you think of just the Ultimate Driving Machine, you probably have your mind, as a car enthusiast, with cars like a Pagani Zonda, Mclaren F1, ... But in real life, who can afford such cars? So you have to think smaller.

So when you think of cars, that "everybody" can buy, you're in a world full of normal cars. And then there is BMW, sticking out a bit, with normal cars that drive like a sportscar (offcourse it isn't the same). So at the end, you have your every day car, you love to drive, and in my eyes, that the Ultimate Driving Machine.

Now, before anoyone reply's on this thread, I know there are other braches who makes sporty sedans (like Holden) and that a lot of carmakers have sports versions (ST from Ford, (R)S from audi...) but in the end, even when you buy the cheapest BMW, you have almost the perfect weight balance, RWD good handling and a to light engine (that's why you don't buy the light versions ).

This just found out by me, they are keeping the "Ultimate driving machine" slogan. Ill give you the whole paragraph if you want but they are keeping it. So no worries.

Quote Originally Posted by TVR IS KING
    ^^ Sure that isn't...Audi?
    I've heard it before, but I think I saw Ultimate Driving Machine somewhere recently.
    No no, Audi use Vorsprung durch Technik here.
    It seems that BM are using Ultimate Driving Machine here too. They definitely did use "Pure Driving Pleasure" here at one stage though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kooper
    REJOICE!

BMW hasn't dropped the slogan "Ultimate Driving Machine" after all!

This from Autoblog:

Oops. Seems that Al Ries' column in Advertising Age was a little off base when he accused BMW of dropping the famous slogan "The Ultimate Driving Machine" in favor of the "Company of Ideas" theme central to the brand's new ad campaign that was devised by its shiny new ad agency, GSD&M.

It turns out that "The Ultimate Driving Machine" remains BMW's tagline. Broadly speaking, the idea behind the "Company of Ideas" campaign is that it takes a Company of Ideas to come up with The Ultimate Driving Machine.

A couple of quotes from the original press releases about the campaign should have been a clue:

"BMW has carved out a unique niche in the industry by placing a premium on constant
    innovation and inspiration and this campaign will reveal the company behind The Ultimate
    Driving Machine." - Jack Pitney, VP Marketing, BMW North America (pdf)

"BMW, which retains "The ultimate driving machine" as its tagline, ...] - AdWeek (pdf)

The ad pictured above, for BMW's Performance Series of concerts and films, is a good example. See other examples from the GSD&M campaign here.

You may now return to your regularly-scheduled programming...

Methinks a BMW bigwig might have heard the disgust of BMW-fans everywhere and decided to pull the plug (?)

Whatever the case may be, long live the Ultimate Driving Machine.

Man, gonna sleep easy tonight.

I got all worked up over nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by RobPorsche
    I got all worked up over nothing.

Sorry for the false alarm there dude.

And if you think you got worked up, I nearly popped a vein and an artery - at once -

Thread Information