Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BMW drops "Ultimate Driving Machine"

Quote Originally Posted by kko
    But you forget that not every BWM is a performance model, or even sporty at all, the bulk of what they sell arent even close to the Ultimate Driving machine and just fat ugly luxury cars (imo) and this new slogan is more accurate. Plus i never even notived slogans until you brought it up...no one cares about them.

it could be argued that the ultimate driving machine also takes things in account like luxury and looks. but it can be interpreted different ways.

no one may care about them, but that doesnt mean they dont have an effect. And id find them interesting even if i wasnt an Advertising major b/c thats a form of communication straight from the horses mouth and can give you input on various things, such as what bmw is trying to be. its pretty much like what was posted earlier,

"To me though, a slogan depicts what a company stands for and does. It's like the core of what it's about."
    You can call me scott.

Quote Originally Posted by scottie300z
    it could be argued that the ultimate driving machine also takes things in account like luxury and looks. but it can be interpreted different ways.

no one may care about them, but that doesnt mean they dont have an effect. And id find them interesting even if i wasnt an Advertising major b/c thats a form of communication straight from the horses mouth and can give you input on various things, such as what bmw is trying to be. its pretty much like what was posted earlier,

"To me though, a slogan depicts what a company stands for and does. It's like the core of what it's about."
    Yep- you don't see companies with taglines such as this:

'Yundliner- Everything we make is crap.'
    'Prattson- Stuck in the '70s, our cars reflect this.'
    'AJG- Since 1905, still shit today.'

Because the products wouldn't sell...

Quote Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6
    Yep- you don't see companies with taglines such as this:

'Yundliner- Everything we make is crap.'
    'Prattson- Stuck in the '70s, our cars reflect this.'
    'AJG- Since 1905, still shit today.'

Because the products wouldn't sell...
    well no, you dont read the headlines like a dictionary, nor do you always believe them. They arent always reflective of how the company is but where it either wishes it was or is misguided and thinks it is, but its up for us to decide if they got it right, and sometimes they actually do (and those are the good ones). And then you have the headlines like "just do it" which is a little different and says as much about the user as it does the company, if not more. but thats a completely different thing really.

enjoyed your lines by the way
    You can call me scott.

That's just it though. BMW has largely continued to get it right (Ultimate Driving Machine).

I've felt that no matter how bad their cars look, no matter how many gizmos they have inside, when it comes down to the business of driving, BMWs were still (and mostly are) exceptionally good.

BMW has always been about the driving side of things, and built there cars around that focus-point. To me that's what's made it my favourite brand.

Now all of a sudden they're focused on ideas. Excuse me, I want something to put a smile on my face while I'm driving, not invent something while I pick up my kids from school!

I used to love hearing how the driver is the focus-point in all of their designs, and how they'd never introduce technology that would impede in the pleasure of driving.

Guess things went south since iDrive.

Quote Originally Posted by Kooper
    I guess you're right. To me though, a slogan depicts what a company stands for and does.
    Then Nike should be

"Just do it, and shut the *beep* up!" (reference to sweat shops).

So...

"Daewoo, We Make GREAT cars. (sarcasm...)

I had no idea they changed their slogan, I think its terrible. I will remember them for the ultimate driving machine, not company of ideas. That slogan reminds me of 3M or Apple, but not BMW. It doesn't hit the spot.

Eh.. they haven't used Ultimate Driving Machine in Australia for a while if I remember correctly... I think its Pure Driving Pleasure here
    Still better than Company Of Ideas though

^^ Sure that isn't...Audi?
    I've heard it before, but I think I saw Ultimate Driving Machine somewhere recently.
    When I think of Ultimate Driving Machine, I think of Lotus or MX-5...BMW don't have any cars like that.
    I can only imagine the 6-Series would be alright.
    All about the t-tops

as the word "ultimate" has been officially trademarked by this site, BMW cannot use it any more. Every infringement will cost them dearly...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Bay Area, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way,
    It's simply because the new generation of their cars are never ultimate driving machines, but BMW sure is a company of ideas when it comes to marketing!!!
    The Ace of All Aces.

Crysis. Maximum Game.

Quote Originally Posted by kko
    But you forget that not every BWM is a performance model, or even sporty at all, the bulk of what they sell arent even close to the Ultimate Driving machine and just fat ugly luxury cars (imo) and this new slogan is more accurate. Plus i never even notived slogans until you brought it up...no one cares about them.
    Hmmm, I'm not going to say that every model on his own is sporty, but if you compare the car to his competitors, BMW is always the sporty one.

And the one above me, ever drove the new BMW's? Old BMW's are more beautifull, but the new ones are just awesome to drive. I find almost every new "every day" car boring, but BMW's really make the difference.

The slogan over here is: Ultimate Driving Pleasure. And that's what I've got every day.

@TVR is king: M3 CSL, M3 GTR

Most new BMW's have a bit of to much luxury, but if you want a car like a Lotus Exige, buy a Lotus Exige I mean, how can you expect that a branch like BMW has just fun cars these days? There aren't much potential buyers for cars like that (I mean for BMW, Lotus has a better reputation for light weight sport cars).

BMW is more for every day use, you can drive an M3 the hole year, and thats what make them such fun. The all in one car.

Quote Originally Posted by TVR IS KING
    When I think of Ultimate Driving Machine, I think of Lotus or MX-5...BMW don't have any cars like that.
    I can only imagine the 6-Series would be alright.
    What's your problem? The 6-Series is a fat, luxury coupé. OK, the M6 is sporty, but you also forgot the new 130i Sport, the M3, the M5, the Z4M Coupé, the Z4M Roadster and the 335i.

Quote Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6
    The ugliness doesn't make a difference to how the car drives.
    No but it makes a difference in the "cool" factor, and the "ultimate driving machine" has to be cool!

REJOICE!

BMW hasn't dropped the slogan "Ultimate Driving Machine" after all!

This from Autoblog:

Oops. Seems that Al Ries' column in Advertising Age was a little off base when he accused BMW of dropping the famous slogan "The Ultimate Driving Machine" in favor of the "Company of Ideas" theme central to the brand's new ad campaign that was devised by its shiny new ad agency, GSD&M.

It turns out that "The Ultimate Driving Machine" remains BMW's tagline. Broadly speaking, the idea behind the "Company of Ideas" campaign is that it takes a Company of Ideas to come up with The Ultimate Driving Machine.

A couple of quotes from the original press releases about the campaign should have been a clue:

"BMW has carved out a unique niche in the industry by placing a premium on constant
    innovation and inspiration and this campaign will reveal the company behind The Ultimate
    Driving Machine." - Jack Pitney, VP Marketing, BMW North America (pdf)

"BMW, which retains "The ultimate driving machine" as its tagline, ...] - AdWeek (pdf)

The ad pictured above, for BMW's Performance Series of concerts and films, is a good example. See other examples from the GSD&M campaign here.

You may now return to your regularly-scheduled programming...

Methinks a BMW bigwig might have heard the disgust of BMW-fans everywhere and decided to pull the plug (?)

Whatever the case may be, long live the Ultimate Driving Machine.

Man, gonna sleep easy tonight.

Thread Information